Barracoon
Topic Author

Newb - advice wanted

Thu 11 Jan 2024, 08:11

Can you please advise me on how to get through the single player campaign of Raven's Purge?
I'm new to roleplaying games and pretty ancient!

JohanR

Re: Newb - advice wanted

Thu 11 Jan 2024, 16:38

As far as I know, you don't.
There is no simple way to run Ravens Purge without a GM.

What you can do GM-less is:
- Still use the provided map and run random generated adventures in the Ravenlands/adjacent lands/any other hex map you find using the provided solo rules, found in the Book of Beasts.
- Download some non-official solo adventures from DriveThruRPG and run those. How to run them is hopefully described in those modules. Those I know of are named "City of Gold" and "Wyrmwood".
- There are more non-official Solo aids to download from DriveThruRPG and some additional generators and tables, like additional rumors and so. Those could maybe aid a solo run.
- The Stronghold building parts probably works great for solo too.
- If you like custom content then I also think the "Survey the Lands" rules from Reforged Power could maybe add to the solo experience, as they are made up of a lot of table rolls (but I am biased as I wrote those). The lore tables found there for monsters might also be useful? But note that any listed resources are a bit home-brew and can be ignored for a more "non-modded experience". Note that the preview does not include this, you must download the GM booklet to access those, but you can download them all for free, as in you do not have to pay for them unless you want to.

To run the setting you would ideally also need some background information. About timeline, etc, but I think the solo rules are a bit lacking in explaining this? I don't play any solo/GM less adventures, so I am not entirely sure about how to work with this, someone that runs solo can perhaps give better input on how they would do it? I would at a minimum read the Gods part of the GM book, maybe read up on other things when finding rare history books or so?

I also think it would be possible to come up with some conversion rules to be able to run the official campaign, but it would be a huge effort to make.. and as far as I know no one has made any. I wouldn't be the best person to write one either, as I have zero experience running the game GM less myself, otherwise I might have done it.

Dizzyfugu

Re: Newb - advice wanted

Thu 11 Jan 2024, 16:59

There is no simple way to run Ravens Purge without a GM.
LOL, so true - even WITH a GM! :D

Raven's Purge is not your typical "open dungeon door A and defeat monster X to loot its treasure, then proceed at room B", it's a complex, and also highly political campaign that literally lives thorugh the great NPC cast. Maybe a future chatbot can fill these NPCs with life, but especially all these weird figures are so much GMing fun! The whole thing also relies a lot on the historic background of the Ravenland setting, hard to intersperse that into a solo player experience.