MidnightBlue
Topic Author

Battlestar Galactica (Alien Conversion)

Sat 30 Dec 2023, 23:18

Just had a stray thought as I was perusing my Cortex RPG collection, which includes the Battlestar Galactica RPG, that Alien would be a great rules set to use for BSG also. The hidden agendas and secret android/company man rules sound perfect for having a flesh-sheath Cylon (or two) in the PC party. Something I might have to think more on...

Have a Happy New Year everyone!

ExileInParadise

Re: Battlestar Galactica (Alien Conversion)

Sun 31 Dec 2023, 15:22

I think you're right ... stress/panic rules, resource rolls, and space combat framework would also apply well.

The *main* gap I see to close would be handling the bridge simulator / capital ship combat.

How would you lay out the Galactica and Pegasus charging into a group of Base Stars?

Surrounded by fleets of Vipers and Raiders all in a furball?

I would probably not switch to a hex/zone overhead map game.

I'd keep it about commanders/pilots and actions with results.

Then thinks about the "story" of the combat and win/draw/lose conditions and have individual actions move the battle toward one of those three outcomes.

For example, in the new series, the Galactica shielding the ragtag fleet as they escape from Ragnar Station ... 3-5 rounds of pounding and defense for the Galactica crew and fighters with each round some of the ragtag fleet jumping out ...

All described from the persective of the bridge crew for the capital ships and from the fighter jocks on their turn.

That's a fun mess to think about.

The real GM-side of it is building the meta-puzzle and playing through that campaign to see if the players can find Earth or not.

Yeah, I think you're right there's a *lot* of adaptability for Battlestar to Year Zero engine and vice versa.
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad