TheMigBoist
Topic Author

Throne of Thorns I & Intended Sequence of Adventures

Fri 29 Dec 2023, 02:38

Hello!

Earlier today I pre-ordered copies of the new Ruins of Symbaroum books releasing next April, and have been pouring over the contents of each since.

During this, I noticed that player characters are meant to be around 7th level when starting the Throne of Thorns campaign. This threw me through a bit of a loop as this would indicate that players should start Wrath of the Warden after completing the already released adventures that are meant to follow it. Namely, Fever of the Hunt and The Bell Tolls for Kastor. I discovered this by comparing the levels of the adventures already released for Ruins to the intended sequence shown in the Adventure Collection for the original Symbaroum. (https://i.imgur.com/TZyYFzf.png).

So I thought I'd hop onto the forums to inquire about this. Is the intended order of adventures the same for Ruins as it is for the original Symbaroum? If not, how has it changed? Is there something here that I've not accounted for and missed entirely? :lol:

Cheers!

Jacob Rodgers

Re: Throne of Thorns I & Intended Sequence of Adventures

Fri 29 Dec 2023, 16:27

There isn't any official changes to the storyline, it's just that we don't know exactly what resources a Gamemaster will have to bring to bear to a Throne of Thorns campaign. It is most certainly NOT a low level campaign, so starting about 7th level gives folks a way to use a few adventure landscapes to prepare their players before starting the campaign proper. And there are ways to adjust things for a higher or lower level party.

jonathanpay

Sat 30 Dec 2023, 17:45

It is most certainly NOT a low level campaign, so starting about 7th level gives folks a way to use a few adventure landscapes to prepare their players before starting the campaign proper. And there are ways to adjust things for a higher or lower level party.
This is interesting for a bunch of reasons, but the primary one for me is what about the rest of the campaign when the Player's Guide only has guidance up to 10th Level for the Approaches (Classes).
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

jonathanpay

Sat 30 Dec 2023, 17:45

It is most certainly NOT a low level campaign, so starting about 7th level gives folks a way to use a few adventure landscapes to prepare their players before starting the campaign proper. And there are ways to adjust things for a higher or lower level party.
This is genuinely interesting for a bunch of reasons, and this comes from a place of curiosity: What about the rest of the campaign when the Player's Guide only has guidance up to the 10th Level for the Approaches (Classes)? All the included scenarios in the Adventure Compendium and Call of the Dark books are for Levels 1-10. Is there going to be a follow-up that expands Approaches beyond level 10? I wonder if it makes more sense to have the first book start lower at level 3 or 4 perhaps, though it might be too late for that from a publishing sense.

Anyway, looking forward to getting my hands on this.
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

jonathanpay

Sun 31 Dec 2023, 00:14

Yo,i gotta admit I’m wrong here. Last time I looked at the players guide I only saw up to level 10 progression. This was during the play test… I see there’s level 20 stuff. I am sorry!

Jacob Rodgers

Sun 31 Dec 2023, 18:23

Yo,i gotta admit I’m wrong here. Last time I looked at the players guide I only saw up to level 10 progression. This was during the play test… I see there’s level 20 stuff. I am sorry!
Huh. Is there a chance you might have been looking at The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying? We only went to 10th level there to match the scale of the setting. Also, the drafts included with The Promised Land might have been limited to 10 levels, since things were still in development when we released that.

jonathanpay

Fri 02 Feb 2024, 23:14

Huh. Is there a chance you might have been looking at The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying? We only went to 10th level there to match the scale of the setting. Also, the drafts included with The Promised Land might have been limited to 10 levels, since things were still in development when we released that.
Admittedly I hadn't actually read through the full rules since doing some of the playtesting so it could well be that I'd just stuck on whatever playtesting only going up to maybe level 10 at the time