JohnWithAgun
Topic Author

none-define areas

Fri 01 Dec 2023, 11:59

Hi i recently got corebook at the blackfriday sale.
I been looking it over and i like it, planing on getting the other modules and running a campaign, after our current ongoing ends.

I understand more of the world is described in the other modules, but i was wondering if there are parts of the map that are "none-defined/undescribed/open for homebrew" and what those areas are and what you might have done with them :)

(so i dont want waste the creative juices on areas that are added in the modules basically)

Linklite

Re: none-define areas

Fri 01 Dec 2023, 14:21

A thought question to answer because so much of it is "depends on how you're defining...".

The Ruins of the Lost Realm covers a lot of things on the Map, but not much in area, if that makes sense. It covers Tharbad, Swanfleet and Lond Daer as well as Eryn Vorn plus Ered Luin. Beyond that, it does mostly Landmarks like Mount Gram, the Angle and most recognisable landmarks. The Shire is pretty decently covered in the Starter Set.

Adding stuff shouldn't be an issue. I'd encourage you to consider making the world yours though. The set up is pretty loose so you're unlikely going to wreck a future supplement by having things happen so long as you're not burning cities down or whatever. Adding things really shouldn't interfere with anything.

There isn't really an area of the map that is free to do whatever you like with,.if you don't want to potentially conflict with supplements. The area near Moria and Lindon are fairly lightly treated, but there is a big Moria supplement coming out next year and we don't know how big the scope in geographical distance that is, and there's been a hint that Lindon may get some treatment...at some point. If you avoid the big lore though and keep things small scale, like adding a Landmark (or several), then you'll be fine.

I hope I'm communicating this well.

Sebastian

Sat 02 Dec 2023, 15:45

I mean, there are a lot of areas only roughly described and you could build a lot of ideas around them. I‘d only advice, to keep it in line with the general tone of Tolkien’s Middle-earth. The authors of TOR basically have to do the same. It’s not like they are allowed to go nuts in regions Tolkien didn’t describe in detail. Heart of the Wild and Darkening of Mirkwood are good examples for excellent world-building, while staying true to Tolkien’s ideas.

Having said that, in Eriador it is a bit more difficult in my opinion. But even here you have the freedom to put a small hamlet or village here and there.

JohnWithAgun
Topic Author

Mon 04 Dec 2023, 09:32

I mean, there are a lot of areas only roughly described and you could build a lot of ideas around them. I‘d only advice, to keep it in line with the general tone of Tolkien’s Middle-earth. The authors of TOR basically have to do the same. It’s not like they are allowed to go nuts in regions Tolkien didn’t describe in detail. Heart of the Wild and Darkening of Mirkwood are good examples for excellent world-building, while staying true to Tolkien’s ideas.

Having said that, in Eriador it is a bit more difficult in my opinion. But even here you have the freedom to put a small hamlet or village here and there.
Ohh i am aware there a free spots, it was to ask where they were. "Oh yeah Angmar is only described briefly in core book, and i did cold Mordor with it" evt kinda replies :)
Sorry if i wrote the initial post poorly :)

Linklite

Mon 04 Dec 2023, 17:05

And that was my point. There are general histories described, and specific spots (basically landmarks) that are done fairly detailed all over the place in Eriador. But if you wanted to add Landmarks or villages or something like that, it wouldn't be a problem - and that's true of all of Eriador apart from Lindon and Hollin/Eregion. In the words of one time travel film, you want to make ripples, not splashes. Ripples are fine.

Otaku-sempai

Mon 04 Dec 2023, 17:14

It would be pretty easy to put one or two modest inns between the Shire and Bree, or at least have some scattered farmholds that allow travelers to spend a night. It's barely possible to travel between Bree and the Brandywine Bridge in a day (if you rush) but only on horseback. It's going to take at least two or three days if you're on foot.
#FideltyToTolkien