bisupsz
Topic Author

Question regarding crafts and magical items (enchanted rewards)

Sun 26 Nov 2023, 01:22

I am a newbie DM, and one of my player's main objectives or vocation, (who is playing a dwarf scholar character from the Blue Mountains,) is to identify and collect all available lore and knowledge about ancient dwarven runes scattered throughout Middle-Earth. In game terms, my question is, whether he can combine rune-craft and hand-craft to make famous weapons and armor, possessing dwarven craftsmanship enchanted reward quality items.

Redcoat

Re: Question regarding crafts and magical items (enchanted rewards)

Sun 26 Nov 2023, 04:58

I think that at 7th level, the dwarf character could use a Word of Command to get a magical success with smith's tools, which would allow the Hand-craft skill to give a weapon a magical reward. The Rune-craft would also be able to place a bane on the weapon without needing magical success. I think the scholar's Words of Command are the only way we mere mortals can get a magical success using abilities which is needed for Hand-craft to create a magic weapon. An Elf would know for sure.
Edit - Dwarves can take the Broken Spells virtue which allows magical success with tools - so you would not need a word of command

bisupsz
Topic Author

Re: Question regarding crafts and magical items (enchanted rewards)

Sun 26 Nov 2023, 09:22

I think that at 7th level, the dwarf character could use a Word of Command to get a magical success with smith's tools, which would allow the Hand-craft skill to give a weapon a magical reward. The Rune-craft would also be able to place a bane on the weapon without needing magical success. I think the scholar's Words of Command are the only way we mere mortals can get a magical success using abilities which is needed for Hand-craft to create a magic weapon. An Elf would know for sure.
Edit - Dwarves can take the Broken Spells virtue which allows magical success with tools - so you would not need a word of command
Thanks for these Redcoat, I will check them out.