Hafficci
Topic Author

A kind of error in Ruins of Eriador??

Tue 21 Nov 2023, 22:43

I've recieved my physical copie of Ruins of Eriador, and eagerly devoured it!! I love this game!!

But I have found what seems to be a mistake, issue or error: in Chapter 3: Landmarks: Fort Arlas (p. 115), there is an special spider-like monster called Dolomedia, which is supposed to be a legendary spawn of the even most legendary Ungoliant!! But when you get to her stats (p. 118), something seems to be wrong: hers are identical to those of the Giant Spiders which serves her (p. 117)!!??

Don't know if anyone knows anythong about this, because it makes no sense at all!! Dolomedia stats should be pretty special, shouldn't be??

Redcoat

Re: A kind of error in Ruins of Eriador??

Wed 22 Nov 2023, 00:48

Ya there does seem to be a discrepancy vs the Ruins of the lost realm where she has about 5x the Hit points, 2x hate and might, and more armour. She can also inflict shadow points.

Redcoat

Wed 22 Nov 2023, 01:52

Its a good catch because honestly I might have overlooked it. But since you pointed it out and I will definitely be using this site at some point, I would treat her as a nameless thing scaled to wherever the player characters are at - somewhere between a roll of 6 and 14. I would give her a charisma of 14 - not because she can carry on a witty conversation but because she dominates her brood and is very intimidating. I would give her Hideous Toughness and Strike Fear. That would capture the spirit of the encounter I think.

Hafficci
Topic Author

Wed 22 Nov 2023, 09:56

Thank you so much for answering!!

I was about to ask to check it to anyone who had the TOR supplement, but you did it!! Cheers!!
I agree with you, and Ungoliath spawn should be a Nameless Thing capable of impose Shadow Points to the Player Heroes, able to speak the Black Speech, apart from being a formidable opponent at combat!!

I'm going to email Free League anyway, just to point it out, as I guess they should have whichever stats intended for her. Maybe they can update the PDF supplement at least, and/or fix it for the next update of the physical one.
Its a good catch because honestly I might have overlooked it. But since you pointed it out and I will definitely be using this site at some point, I would treat her as a nameless thing scaled to wherever the player characters are at - somewhere between a roll of 6 and 14. I would give her a charisma of 14 - not because she can carry on a witty conversation but because she dominates her brood and is very intimidating. I would give her Hideous Toughness and Strike Fear. That would capture the spirit of the encounter I think.

JLandan

Wed 22 Nov 2023, 21:21

I don't have the physical book on me at this time, but in the PDF, the stat blocks are totally different.

Standforth

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 04:20

JLandan is right, below is from the pdf, doesn't match the book, so I guess OP was right, there is a misprint in the book

Large monstrosity
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 16 (+3) 18 (+4) 13 (+1) 14 (+2) 12 (+1)
ARMOUR CLASS 19 (natural armour)
HIT POINTS 123 (13d10 + 52)
SPEED 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
SKILLS Perception +7, Stealth +9
SENSES darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 17
LANGUAGES Spider-speech
CHALLENGE 6 (2,300 XP, proficiency bonus +3)

Hafficci
Topic Author

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 09:45

Oh, my goodness, I completely forgot to match with the PDF!! :?

Thank you for point it out, buddies!! No doubt it's a misprint.

Odbardaw

Tue 05 Dec 2023, 23:52

Thanks for catching this! Have you contacted FL? Did they respond? There could be an official errata for LotR RPG played somewhere.

Hafficci
Topic Author

Wed 13 Dec 2023, 20:22

Thanks for catching this! Have you contacted FL? Did they respond? There could be an official errata for LotR RPG played somewhere.
No, I haven't, sorry. I thought that having fixed at the PDF, it means that FL are aware of the topic, so it'll be fixed at the 2nd edition of the physical books.

Otaku-sempai

Thu 14 Dec 2023, 04:12

No, I haven't, sorry. I thought that having fixed at the PDF, it means that FL are aware of the topic, so it'll be fixed at the 2nd edition of the physical books.
Or possibly in later printings rather than an out-right second edition. Or is that what you meant?
#FideltyToTolkien