HOOS-karl
Topic Author

Area Maps Source

Thu 16 Nov 2023, 07:36

Does anyone know the source of the area maps for TWD? I am looking to create something similar to the SW VA and Atlanta area maps but in a different location for a campaign.

Semper Fidelis
HOOS

Praetorian_1974

Re: Area Maps Source

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 16:55

I would suggest looking at your local equivalent of Ordnance Survey maps of your chosen area.

Ordnance Survey is the UK's Maping service - you want a map of an area in the UK, they are your guys :D

HOOS-karl
Topic Author

Sun 03 Dec 2023, 01:30

Thanks Praetorian_1974. USGS has a nice map tool. I only need to fiddle with colors.

HOOS

Boojuulay

Tue 05 Dec 2023, 12:46

I would suggest looking at your local equivalent of Ordnance Survey maps of your chosen area.

Ordnance Survey is the UK's Maping service - you want a map of an area in the UK, they are your guys :D
I am looking to run a game set in the UK, and have been looking at OS maps, but I am not sure yet how I can get an image out from them to then include in a VTT. I am happy to purchase something that's not too expensive but from my understanding, the use of their digital maps is limited to their app? Do you have any more details?

Praetorian_1974

Tue 05 Dec 2023, 13:14

I am looking to run a game set in the UK, and have been looking at OS maps, but I am not sure yet how I can get an image out from them to then include in a VTT. I am happy to purchase something that's not too expensive but from my understanding, the use of their digital maps is limited to their app? Do you have any more details?
Hi Boojuulay

I am thinking the same, hopefully FL will look to release a supplement to allow you to play the game in your location, rather than just atlanta etc.

I use osmaps.com as I get a subscription through work, but if I were to pay for it i would play around with the free sub first get an idea of scales you want and then grab the 1 month sub, download what you want and then cancel the sub.

For the scale etc, I set the zoom to be ~ 1-2km depending on how big i want the player area to be - to give you an idea of scale, setting the zoom to 2km would comfortably cover Buckingham - Milton Keynes (and Bletchley) and Bedford. as well as the surrounding area. 1km zoom level will comfortably cover Milton Keynes on its own and give you a rough idea of housing/ manufacturing/ commercial type properties. closer scale will give you street level options, you can then download the maps you want - you should be able to select download type, and then import them into foundry.

as a option to add flavour to your maps, though it would mean a significant amount of work for you as DM, you could look at properties for sale in the area you want to play and pull out the floor plans from the listing, and add them to the map - instamaps! remember though to use lvels and wall height and better roofs :D

I should point out, that the last option is purely conjectural - i have not (yet) tried it :D

HOOS-karl
Topic Author

Fri 08 Dec 2023, 05:59

Hi,

The USGS page does have UK maps. Might not be the level of detail that you want or need but I think it will work.

https://maps.usgs.gov/map/

Addramyr

Mon 29 Jan 2024, 17:37

None have stated the elephant in the room but you can do really decent maps through Google Earth.
While Google Maps have increadibly detailed sattelite maps, I prefer Google Earth as you can edit which names, pins and such you want to show.
You can then Print Screen whatever view you want.
And it's free.

Addramyr

Mon 29 Jan 2024, 20:38

You can buy actual road maps, it's under 10$ and it makes for a real nice physical prop.
It doesn't have grids but there's a ruler so it's easy to measure 10 km.

PIB

Sun 04 Feb 2024, 10:17

Hi,

I searched online, and found https://snazzymaps.com/, this website allows you to change the maps style from Google Maps.
After playing with differents things, you can get a visual that match your request.
Around Rome ?
Or North West from Richmond (VA)

When the style & place done, next step is ... grid & text... I did this with https://www.photopea.com/

It's a bit of work, but the output, is at least, not so bad for someone who is not a designer.
That will allow me to create few maps for solo play, and even for my group.
The Richmond area, can extend the map from the book.
RPG Overlay map tool

https://maps.pibminis.com/

Addramyr

Mon 05 Feb 2024, 20:08

Wow the result is really great! Thanks for the reference!

Do you have the settings you've used for snazzy maps?