decanox
Topic Author

Question regarding TfE (no spoilers) and Hunting

Wed 15 Nov 2023, 20:57

Hi to all...

I have two questions maybe too different from each other but I think that it's better to not open two threads:

- First is regarding travels and the hunting task. Maybe, I missed something but during a travel, when a character hunts, does he/she obtain any food? Because I think nothing is stated so I suppose the PC receives nothing for hunting and that's a bit strange to explain to players: "yes, you have hunted a deer, but you have to eat from your supplies".

- Second is about Tales from Eriador and their levels. Since this is an open world where characters can go anywhere, for example: can a level 1 group character go to a place with a level 5-6 according to TfE?

I think it's possible but maybe it's too hard. I suppose you can limit the rumours available but you can't avoid players to go to Mount Gundabad or similar places.

JLandan

Re: Question regarding TfE (no spoilers) and Hunting

Wed 15 Nov 2023, 21:36

Re Hunting: The journey rules do not specify anything about providing food, so it's a LM call. Personally, I have the fellowship's hunters make a skill check to obtain food on the journey for each day of travel. This is a completely separate issue than the journey events. Failure means dipping into rations. Success means one person's/animal's food for each point over the DC. DC is set by terrain.

Re Encounter Levels: A level 1 group CAN go anywhere they want. The consequences of going to a place with level 5-6 encounters will be dire. A good LM will drop hints or even just say that an area is incredibly dangerous for the likes of this particular fellowship at this particular time. While it is good not to railroad a party, it is also good not to allow them to be suicidal without some kind of an out.

decanox
Topic Author

Wed 15 Nov 2023, 21:44

Re Hunting: The journey rules do not specify anything about providing food, so it's a LM call. Personally, I have the fellowship's hunters make a skill check to obtain food on the journey for each day of travel. This is a completely separate issue than the journey events. Failure means dipping into rations. Success means one person's/animal's food for each point over the DC. DC is set by terrain.
Great rule! Thanks!

About going to high level places, it's what I thought but it's good to know that other people would do the same.

JLandan

Thu 16 Nov 2023, 00:23

Anytime you have a sandbox adventure/setting, you run into the encounter level issue. Way back in 3.5 days, there was a sandbox setting that had low, middle and high level encounters for each location, so the DM could just let the party wander. It had low/mid/high wandering monster tables too.

decanox
Topic Author

Thu 16 Nov 2023, 08:52

It's a good idea.

I asked because my experience with D&D system was Pathfinder 1st edition (huge) Rise of the Runelords where each episode or chapter was linked with the heroes' level and players have to go from point A to B and from B to C... So there was no possible sandbox or open world.

Redcoat

Fri 17 Nov 2023, 16:03

When my players decided to fish in the Hoarwell they rolled a 20.
I told them they had arrived during the spring salmon run (it actually was spring) and if they dried it they would have food for several weeks.
It was pretty epic.

JLandan

Mon 20 Nov 2023, 22:12

It's a good idea.

I asked because my experience with D&D system was Pathfinder 1st edition (huge) Rise of the Runelords where each episode or chapter was linked with the heroes' level and players have to go from point A to B and from B to C... So there was no possible sandbox or open world.
Some adventures are written this way, sometimes called a "railroad". Its just different styles. A set path is better at maintaining character and encounter level balance. A sandbox is more open for players to meander, but maintaining character and encounter level balance is very difficult. Personally, I prefer a set path while playing and DMing.

decanox
Topic Author

Tue 21 Nov 2023, 14:48

It's a good idea.

Some adventures are written this way, sometimes called a "railroad". Its just different styles. A set path is better at maintaining character and encounter level balance. A sandbox is more open for players to meander, but maintaining character and encounter level balance is very difficult. Personally, I prefer a set path while playing and DMing.
I don't know what to say about this.

Adventure Paths like the ones on Pathfinder 1st edition was huge campaigns with a lot of "railroading" but well balanced.

Now, we are about to finish Raven's Purge from Forbidden Lands and, for me, it's difficult to draw a clear conclusion about sandbox. The campaign has had great moments, but I have a bittersweet taste about it. As a DM I had to do a lot of work setting adventures; when players got experienced, I had to balance encounters constantly; and sometimes I got a feeling like: "this is too long"... On the other hand, players have all the freedom to explore and go here and there but I feel that some players begin to feel a bit tired.

So, all in all, I don't know which one prefer. Obviously, running a set path is more comfortable for a DM.

Redcoat

Sun 26 Nov 2023, 21:40

So, all in all, I don't know which one prefer. Obviously, running a set path is more comfortable for a DM.
There is no right or wrong answer here. For me, I like to do either way depending on how much energy I have to do all the background work. It is fun to create an adventure from scratch, but sometimes I just need the book to do the heavy lifting and have everything laid out. Your players may be the same way. Sometimes they may want to do their own thing and sometimes they may want more direction.

JLandan

Mon 27 Nov 2023, 22:43

As a player, I can go with either, but I prefer a path to a sandbox. The DM, not the players, should be running the adventure, IMO.

As a DM, I greatly prefer a path, because if you run a sandbox, the preparation is so much more work. With a path, the DM decides what happens next. It's the DM's job to entertain the players, not the players job to make things difficult for the DM. That happens all by itself, without help from the players.

Players that prefer a sandbox because they desire "agency" (a term I despise), should consider DMing instead of playing. Again IMO.