Obadiah
Topic Author

Genlab Alpha: any gotchas?

Tue 17 Oct 2023, 10:32

Hey team.

I am kicking off a MYZ Genlab Alpha campaign soon and wanted to take advice from others on anything I should be aware of while running it. Give me your best advice.

And one specific question: is there anything I need to be aware of with seers. They see, to have the ability to derail the game with their scrying ability. So I'm open to your thoughts.

ExileInParadise

Re: Genlab Alpha: any gotchas?

Tue 17 Oct 2023, 14:22

Make a checklist of the encounters and events for yourself.

For each encounter or event on the list, ask yourself what if PCs take each of the 5 common actions:
1. AVOID: What happens if the group *avoids* this encounter or event?
2. EXPLORE: What happens if the group *explores* more around this encounter or event before engaging?
3. PARLEY: What happens if the group *parleys* - tries diplomacy, negotiation instead of combat for a potential conflict situation?
4. TRICK: What happens if the group tries some *trick* instead of diplomacy or combat? What tricks can they try? Here's where your seer is one potential thing to consider.
5.FIGHT: What happens if the group *fights* in an encounter or event, rather than avoid, explore, parley, or some trick? This is where your seer could provide warnings ...

These 5 questions are inspired by the "5 Actions" described in this Roleplaying Tips article:
https://www.roleplayingtips.com/running ... 5-actions/

Next for each encounter or event on the list, ask yourself:
1. TRANSITIONS IN: What are at least 3 ways players might find out or figure out how to get into this encounter?
2. SUCCESS: What happens if the PCs successfully complete the encounter?
3. COMPLICATION: What happens if the PCs only partly succeed? Can they retry to succeed against greater odds or opposition?
4. SETBACK: What happens if the PCs completely fail the encounter? Is there some way they can come up with a new plan to be successful from another approach?
5. TRANSITIONS OUT: What are 3 possible next encounters that this encounter could lead to? (such as what clues/hooks can they find to act as signs of what to do next?)

With these questions you can "map out" the possible flows through the adventurer which the group might take, and some of the challenges and setbacks possible, as well as anticipate some of the curve balls they can throw at you.

You may also find more help in taking the "Adventure Hacking" approach from Roleplaying Tips to analyze the rest of the adventure:
https://www.roleplayingtips.com/adventu ... e-hacking/
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad