Chrisshipton
Topic Author

BBW Campaign - the overlooked morbid reality of 70yrs of isolation

Tue 10 Oct 2023, 12:23

A lot of the descriptions of colonies feel like the isolation was recent. Yet what is unsaid in the campaign is the societal impacts of 70 odd years of isolation, that's 2-3 generations of societal decline in either disease, radiation, low birth rate, starvation or - I presume - being collected by the perfected and fed into an Alien hive.

Turning up at a colony that died that way is actually quite a horrific.

It seems like additional homework for GM's to look at each expedition and figure out how those societies declined. For example... none of the original Royal Marines would be active, they would have had to train at least 3 sets of replacements troops to function as a force. It's interesting to consider how they may deviate from the starting point.

Angelman

Re: BBW Campaign - the overlooked morbid reality of 70yrs of isolation

Tue 10 Oct 2023, 13:19

One thing that surprises me is how close these Lost Colonies are to the Middle Heavens; only 30 parsecs away. A fast ship (like a Conestoga) might cross that expanse in two months time.

Now, 30 parsecs is from border to border, of course, but if you lanuch from Pandora your Conestoga could land at KOI 110 System and May Outpost in less than three months. It is hard to fathom that these colonies, if they are as valuable as we're supposed to believe, haven't been reached earlier.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Chrisshipton
Topic Author

Tue 10 Oct 2023, 14:06

Also.... if the Children of the Two Divines managed to get out there in a fleet of ships, and join up with the Perfected. How come the Perfected don't just use them to come right back? Surely those ships have the FLT nav data? And fine.. they are knackered and can't make the FLT home... but why? and How?

Gebohq

Tue 10 Oct 2023, 16:57

One thing that surprises me is how close these Lost Colonies are to the Middle Heavens; only 30 parsecs away. A fast ship (like a Conestoga) might cross that expanse in two months time.

Now, 30 parsecs is from border to border, of course, but if you lanuch from Pandora your Conestoga could land at KOI 110 System and May Outpost in less than three months. It is hard to fathom that these colonies, if they are as valuable as we're supposed to believe, haven't been reached earlier.
The lore in the book seems to suggest various supernova and such went off that made travel impossible until recently. While that can't account for ALL travel there (since space is 3D and the colonies aren't likely locked all around), I think we can take that in combination with a) ships with high FTL like the Conestoga only being available within the past couple decades and b) the supernations and megacorps really DIDN'T care enough until it was no longer inconvinient.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net