ID Dragnil

Re: RoS FoundryVTT question

Thu 29 Feb 2024, 07:46

Hello i'm also waiting for an update

Jacob Rodgers

Fri 01 Mar 2024, 16:23

Hello i'm also waiting for an update
Thanks for letting us know. I will say that it is my understanding that things are in progress, and I'll let you know whenever I hear more.

hellquist
Topic Author

Sat 02 Mar 2024, 12:21

It would probably be wise of FL to set aside an "updates budget" and have a developer on a retainer or similar to call in, seeing how often FoundryVTT and now also DnD5e modules has, and will, get updates. We don't want to do this waiting-dance every time there's an update (I recall having done this previously too), but it feels like nobody "owns" the problem (or even check the various channels), and still the RoS modules that all depend on this core RoS module are up for sale still, which will be a nasty surprise to anyone who purchase them right now.

On the other hand, given the many glowing reviews of RoS, keeping up to date with the latest DnD5e additions in Foundry, now when they finally have moved their stuff in there, would make sense as it, at least in theory, could expose RoS to new players (I don't see much RoS/Sym marketing so I guess the Symbaroum line of products isn't a priority, which is a shame as it is a unique setting). Also, the updates to the DnD5e in Foundry look really solid and nice, the character sheet looks amazing, so would be great if the RoS modules didn't deviate too much from that.

If I knew how/what/where to amend the code I'd fix it myself, just to ensure I get value for money from my already bought products, but alas, I have no idea how the structure of the code for creating modules to FoundryVTT actually works so I'd have a long starting stretch uphill before I could be of any use.

hellquist
Topic Author

Sun 03 Mar 2024, 12:15

Ok, so having the quickest look at the code of how a module is created I made a quick hack to "module.json", so that it at least is possible to enable it in my ongoing campaign. It probably will create a bunch of other issues down the line, this isn't fixing the actual problem, only the symptom, but if anyone else is desperate it might be worth it whilst knowing those trade-offs.

Open the module.json (in the root folder of the module, wherever you have your modules, mine was in "C:\Users\mathi\AppData\Local\FoundryVTT\Data\modules\symbaroum5ecore" on a Win machine) and change the value of "compatibility" (far down in the file) "maxiumum", which has a value of "2.9.9". Change the "2" to a "3", so it says "3.9.9".

It pretty much says that the module is compatible up to that version. Basically lying. But hey, now I can open my world and at least see the content. We will be forced to do todays gaming session completely analogue though as I don't trust all calculations and other tweaks are correct, but now I can at least show the maps I have drawn in Dungeondraft and imported in to FoundryVTT, on the TV we have on our gaming table.

Also, as long as the core module is enabled you can now again go in on every token and pick the correct character sheet, i.e. the old one, which has corruption etc on it.

The downside of doing it like this is that you will not get a notification for when the core module ACTUALLY is updated, as in properly updated, but as that seems highly uncertain right now it might be worth setting a reminder for checking that manually until then, and just keep gaming in the meantime.

Fenhorn

Sun 03 Mar 2024, 12:22

FL have a channel over at Foundry VTT discord where you could get help with issues with foundry VTT and FLs modules.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

hellquist
Topic Author

Sun 03 Mar 2024, 12:40

FL have a channel over at Foundry VTT discord where you could get help with issues with foundry VTT and FLs modules.
Oh, I didn't know. Thanks! That was a sad reading though.

So basically "no".

I struggle somewhat to understand when they say "no updates, as the current modules are working", as they most definitely not are working for anyone who wish to, or inadvertedly has, updated to the much marketed DnD modules. Also I thought the point of RoS was to attract DnD5e players, by using a system "everyone" knows. Surely FL can't expect "everyone" to hold back all their other campaigns in other games just to stay backwards-compatible with RoS?

But yeah, thanks for the link.

Fenhorn

Sun 03 Mar 2024, 23:03

I saw the answer over at discord. That answer was a bit of :roll:

I don't know what your issue is (and I have no knowledge about foundry so reading this thread won't help me) with foundry but if it is that certain systems and/or modules doesn't work with certain updates, then the people who knows about foundry over at discord should know about that and should have given a better answer.

A golden rule with foundry is not to update foundry until you know it will work. There are different companies at work here and a whole bunch of contracted people. It takes time to update things some time. If you have different games that work on different foundry versions, you can have more than one foundry version installed (FLs site for Ros Foundry VTT).

If you have other issues, you can email support@frialigan.se and see what they say.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore