hellquist
Topic Author

RoS FoundryVTT question

Tue 03 Oct 2023, 01:14

Right, so this is probably a n00b question where I am doing something silly, but having spent a couple of hours on this now I figured I should ask someone:

So, I have the RoS FoundryVTT stuff (got the "everything" from the Kickstarter but haven't used the Foundry stuff until now). It is all imported etc and has been turned in to actors, journal entries etc.
When I create a new actor, with the intention of making it a player character, is it correct that there are absolutely no calculations happening when I drag an "item", say "Warrior" on to the character sheet? That is perhaps just how Foundry works (or not)? Say I create a "human/ambrian", which in theory gives the character +2 STR and +1 on DEX/CON/CHA and another +1 INT (ambrian), but I have to add them manually? Just checking.

Secondly, if I give my human "Faithful of Prios", I should get proficiency in Religion. This is where it turns really annoying. It doesn't add anything automatically. Perhaps that is as it should be.

However, the RoS character sheet ALSO does not let me check the box for proficiency for ANY of the skills. Is that really as it should be? (There is also a little cog wheel on the skills row that says "Configure Skill" that does absolutely nothing). The only way around this that I've found is to switch the character sheet to the DnD sheet, check the boxes for proficiencies there and then switch back to the RoS character sheet (as that contains corruption etc). Is this truly the way it should be done? It feels "risky" to having to flip character sheets back-and-forth just to tick boxes I would have thought, and the players WILL become proficient in more things as they level up...

I am thinking I am missing something silly/stupid but hey...I am about to give up so figured I should ask. :)

Jacob Rodgers

Re: RoS FoundryVTT question

Wed 04 Oct 2023, 18:14

I only know enough to be dangerous, but I have been reliably informed that most of your issues are system-working-as-intended, and an update (to 3.0.1 for 5e) will fix the others. I have also been told that the Foundry Discord (specifically the #dnd5e channel) is an excellent resource.

Hope this helps!

hellquist
Topic Author

Thu 05 Oct 2023, 14:01

I only know enough to be dangerous, but I have been reliably informed that most of your issues are system-working-as-intended, and an update (to 3.0.1 for 5e) will fix the others. I have also been told that the Foundry Discord (specifically the #dnd5e channel) is an excellent resource.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for reply. Hmm...so it that some upcoming update? I run everything on the latest/greatest official version.

Also, without being certain on which "most of my issues" are covered in that update, I have to say it sounds like a missed opportunity for the RoS modules in being really great. I say that after having installed another DnD5e "world" just to see what functionality it has, for comparison. It is really quite nice to be able to create a new "actor", input the attribute values (manually) and then drag "items" such as "human", "fighter" etc on to the character sheet and it adds the correct proficiencies, pops up windows with selections (fighting styles etc), updates the stats correctly automagically and...it just works.

If the intended functionality of the RoS modules mainly is to give access to lore (book text) behind skills, stats etc I will probably prefer using the (IRL) books and print outs. That in turn will reduce the usefulness of the RoS modules drastically. If I can't even get things like darkvision and ranges in there, the usefulness is limited. Then again, perhaps those are the things that are intended to be fixed in the update.

hellquist
Topic Author

Thu 05 Oct 2023, 22:12

Just to update: the latest updates seems to fix most of my troubles indeed. Still a bunch of manual things to do, but that is alright.
Our groups use case is that we use it in physical gaming session on a big TV on the gaming table, so we can always work around things by being analogue, but the maps and other stuff is rather nice to have in some high fidelity on the screen, or just having mood/environment illustrations.

EDIT/ADDITION (or "note to self"): strangely Foundry for RoS doesn't seem to add proficiency bonus to attack rolls with weapons. It add the appropriate attribute bonus alright, but it refuses to add proficiency bonus even though it lists the user as proficient with the weapon in question. Hence, it might be worth keeping an eye on oddities like that.

Jacob Rodgers

Fri 06 Oct 2023, 13:53

That is very strange, indeed. I'll try to do a bit of research/annoying my friends better versed in Foundry and/or pass it on to the folks who helped us with implementing RoS in Foundry. I'm glad y'all have found workarounds, but I'm hoping the module can do even more of the heavy lifting for you.

mad7eo

Tue 10 Oct 2023, 09:17

Just to update: the latest updates seems to fix most of my troubles indeed. Still a bunch of manual things to do, but that is alright.
Our groups use case is that we use it in physical gaming session on a big TV on the gaming table, so we can always work around things by being analogue, but the maps and other stuff is rather nice to have in some high fidelity on the screen, or just having mood/environment illustrations.

EDIT/ADDITION (or "note to self"): strangely Foundry for RoS doesn't seem to add proficiency bonus to attack rolls with weapons. It add the appropriate attribute bonus alright, but it refuses to add proficiency bonus even though it lists the user as proficient with the weapon in question. Hence, it might be worth keeping an eye on oddities like that.
I added
@prof
in every weapon attack of my players in
attack roll bonus
as a workaround

hellquist
Topic Author

Wed 07 Feb 2024, 01:36

Whoops. Just a heads up: if you have a running RoS campaign, make sure you don't update the base DnD rules in Foundry for now. It is NOT compatible with the RoS modules. Silly me. I was happily prepping and setting up a campaign for the start of the newly released RoS books (the PDF's that is), drawing/importing maps etc, but managed to press update as the exclamation mark looked so aggressive. I shouldn't have done that. Here's to hoping there will be an update to the RoS modules sometime soon, ideally before the 3rd of March when my campaign starts. :roll:

hellquist
Topic Author

Wed 14 Feb 2024, 10:17

Hmm...right. So I'm not sure what to do really.
The RoS FoundryVTT modules that I've bought are not working (since the last updates of DnD5e).

Should I tell someone? Or is it a well-known thing? Should I just sit and wait? Should I file a bug in the Github repo (which looks rather dead btw, so it doesn't "feel" like it's "alive and kicking")? Do I write in this forum? Should I mail someone? If everyone involved is aware, and a fix is being worked on: cool! Where are things like that announced? Is there anything I can do?

It is the not knowing, and the not-knowing-if-anyone-else-knows that is...jarring...

Jacob Rodgers

Wed 14 Feb 2024, 15:53

I'll reach out to Foundry team and see what I can find out.

Apologies for the late response, I was hoping it was a momentary hiccup with the update of the core. Thanks for your patience!

Jacob Rodgers

Wed 14 Feb 2024, 16:04

Hmm...right. So I'm not sure what to do really.
The RoS FoundryVTT modules that I've bought are not working (since the last updates of DnD5e).

Should I tell someone? Or is it a well-known thing? Should I just sit and wait? Should I file a bug in the Github repo (which looks rather dead btw, so it doesn't "feel" like it's "alive and kicking")? Do I write in this forum? Should I mail someone? If everyone involved is aware, and a fix is being worked on: cool! Where are things like that announced? Is there anything I can do?

It is the not knowing, and the not-knowing-if-anyone-else-knows that is...jarring...
Apparently, the best way at the moment is to roll back to the previous 5e version in Foundry. I'll let you know if I learn more about future plans.