mad7eo
Topic Author

Elixir of Life

Wed 20 Sep 2023, 12:02

I'm reporting a question from the Davokar Explorer's League discord

How does it work?

• Do I roll 1d6 and it's both the hp and the duration?
(for example 3 hp healed, 1 each turn for 3 turns and 3 temp corruption points)

or
  • it will be 1d6 healed every 1d6 turns~
(for example with a 3 on the first d6 and 4 on the second d6, this will result in a heal of 3 every turn for 4 turns, with a total of 4 temporary corruption across them)

The second one feels powerful (with a roll of 6 hp the elixir can heal up to 36! hp...) but it seems how it's worded

Jacob Rodgers

Re: Elixir of Life

Wed 20 Sep 2023, 20:04

There are a few ways to interpret the Elixir of Life, and as long as you are consistent, you can use any of the options:
  • a) Roll 1d6 for number of turns (call this n). For each of those turns, roll 1d6 to determine the number of hit points regained that turn (call this h1, h2, etc). The creature gains n temporary Corruption and heals h1 + h2 + ... total hit points.
  • b) Roll 1d6 for number of turns and amount regained each turn (call this n). Each of those turns, the creature regains that number of hit points. The creature gains n temporary Corruption and heals n × n total hit points.
  • c) Roll 1d6 for number of turns (call this n). Each of those turns, the creature regains 1 hit point. The creature gains n temporary Corruption and heals n total hit points.
As far as official answers, c) is most supported by the text, though I believe a) was the interpretation I had in mind, though either of the Mattiases could have thought a) or b) was what we meant, and I would totally understand. Again, as long as you are consistent with everyone (player characters, enemies, and neutral characters), it will work out.

mad7eo
Topic Author

Thu 21 Sep 2023, 09:29

I like this (1 hp for 1d6 turns plus corruption)
c) Roll 1d6 for number of turns (call this n). Each of those turns, the creature regains 1 hit point. The creature gains n temporary Corruption and heals n total hit points.
but I don't feel that's what they had in mind it can heal 6 hp max, less than a short rest.

a) (1d6 hp X 1d6 turns) feels better, but can be really powerful. Baddies will use it too :)

Jacob Rodgers

Thu 21 Sep 2023, 17:16

For absolute clarity, I am one of 'they'. I agree that it is a very strict interpretation. Again, I believe (though it has been a long time) was not the intent, but it is a way to read the text in the book.

mad7eo
Topic Author

Thu 21 Sep 2023, 17:21

For absolute clarity, I am one of 'they'. I agree that it is a very strict interpretation. Again, I believe (though it has been a long time) was not the intent, but it is a way to read the text in the book.
Thanks for your answer, I hope my english was good enough, it's not my first language!