Pangea
Topic Author

Ranged Combat in Short Range

Fri 08 Sep 2023, 10:06

My feeling is that you can use any Ranged Weapon in Short Range, rolling for Ranged Combat.
Except when the GM rules that specific circumstances force you to roll for Close Combat to use that Ranged Weapon (ie. if someone just jumped on your back and is clinging there etc...).
Is that the Hive Mind's feeling too?

p.53 - If you are in close proximity to an enemy, you roll for Close Combat instead, even if you’re using a ranged weapon.
Close proximity, and not Short Range. So that's a situational thing that happens in Short Range, up to the PCs/GM to decide upon.

p.62 - Short Range - close enough for you to run up to your enemy and attack in close combat or fire a revolver at them
So you can "fire a revolver", meaning that you can use Ranged Combat in Short Range (barring whatever can be called Close Proximity).
And "revolver" is only fluff (since, p.74 is says Ranged weapons can be fired at any target that is within their maximum range).
Though, of course, you might say that a pistol has less Close Proximity issues than a Sniper Rifle.

p.63 - Short Range - you can attack with Close Combat
Can, and not need (like stated in Long Range, where you need to use Ranged Combat)
Playing in France, and online

9littlebees

Re: Ranged Combat in Short Range

Fri 08 Sep 2023, 10:29

Yeah, close proximity is just a way to say engaged / arms-length / etc. If a PC is not yet "engaged" with someone and wants to shoot them in close range, that's fine - it's a ranged attack handled in Phase 2. But if they miss or don't kill their target, that target can then "engage" the PC in close combat in the next phase (Phase 3).

In future rounds the PC can't attack in Phase 2 (ranged) while that NPC is "engaged" with them.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Pangea
Topic Author

Fri 08 Sep 2023, 13:24

Okay, thanks!

Except that in the rules, there is no Engaged (unlike, say Alien RPG).
No Retreat / Disengaging mechanic.
And moving around within the 25 m. area seems a free & possible action (only rules I see are for changing range categories.
Thus I see nothing in the rules preventing a player from taking a few steps away from someone who ""engaged" with them to use a shotgun etc.

That is why I said it is more of how the GM & Players see the situation (is there room to step back, did the person attacking hold on to them etc.), vs. rules.

9littlebees

Sun 10 Sep 2023, 21:23

Indeed, I put engaged in quotes because it's describing a situation like that. This is a narrative system and doesn't attempt to simulate combat like many more traditional games do. However, I would say that if someone is "engaged" with a PC and the player wants to step away, I'd say they'd need to make an opposed Mobility test as a Movement action in the next round to do so, otherwise it would feel like abusing the rules to spam ranged combat.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Pangea
Topic Author

Mon 11 Sep 2023, 00:47

Yes, I understand, and that is fine.
Everybody can adapt the rules as they see fit.
I am just trying to understand what the basis is, the rules that exist already.

Loconius

Sun 17 Mar 2024, 03:25

As I understand it, fights are opposed rolls, so if the guy your shooting decides to oppose you with their own ranged combat (not mobility to get away or find cover) then your fine to use ranged combat. But if they decide to use close combat for their opposition to your shooting them, it forces you to use close combat as well.