Nocternity
Topic Author

TOR or LOTR 5E for roleplaying novice

Tue 05 Sep 2023, 14:38

Hello fellow Middle-Earthers!

I just have a small question. I'm thinking about bringing LOTR to my small role-playing group, but I have a hard time deciding whether I should go with TOR or LOTR 5E. We are all fairly novice when it comes to roleplaying, but we have played Forbidden Lands, Vaesen and Dragonbane and we have had a blast every single session! We have yet to try D&D (I've only played a one-shot or two as a player with som colleagues at work), but I have both Starter Sets and the Essential Kit in my bookshelf, waiting to be played.

So the reason why I have a hard time deciding is that, while we have no real experience with 5E yet, we will try it out soon, both through the D&D sets I have, and also through Baldur's Gate 3. Because of this I think it would be easier to also bring LOTR 5E to the table, as introducing yet another game might give my friends a headache, haha! But are there any big differences between the games that makes TOR a better choice to capture that true Tolkien feeling, that would make it worthwile to go with it instead of LOTR 5E?

Harlath

Re: TOR or LOTR 5E for roleplaying novice

Tue 05 Sep 2023, 15:17

I prefer The One Ring as a bespoke system for the setting, but I know the 5e version has been well received!

Cross posting a summary I wrote elsewhere on these boards.

The One Ring is now in its second edition, having previously been published by Cubicle 7. The designers and key supplement writes have remained consistent, only the publisher has changed.

The One Ring
- Customised ruleset written to evoke the themes of the source material through its mechanics.
- Relatively easy to learn system, based on other games I've played it is simpler than D&D 5e/Savaage Worlds, while retaining attractive depth.
- Characters grow in power but orcs/wargs (etc) remain a threat via a single lucky stroke or if present in sufficient numbers.

The Lord of the Rings
- Uses D&D 5e as its rules engine, adapted for Middle Earth using similar mechanics to The One Ring to translate the settings themes in to mechanics.
- Potentially easier to find a game for/recruit players for given the popularity of D&D 5e?
- Build on any existing knowledge of D&D 5e you/your players have.

JLandan

Tue 05 Sep 2023, 21:56

It's a tough question because your group is new to 5e, you would be new to LotRR5e, but because you are also new to TOR, you would be new to TOR. So, for you, there is no difference.

For my group, we have a great deal of experience with 5e, and some players are uninterested in learning a new system, LotRR5e is the best way to go. I have found that for flavor and theme, it does just fine; though some argue that TOR is better.

If your group adapts easily to new systems (mine does not), TOR might be a better choice because it is self-contained. With LotRR5e, you still need the Basic Rules. They are not included in the core book, but with Starter and Essentials, you have them. It's also available as a free download.

Material-wise, everything is going to be released in both systems (a brilliant move). But a lot of theme and "feel" is going to come from your Loremaster as much as published material.

If you want to do something experimental, play a one shot of each and see how it goes. I'd like to hear how something like that worked out.

Linklite

Wed 06 Sep 2023, 19:58

I say this as someone who plays 5e regularly.

While 5e may in some ways be easier to learn, it may be more difficult in others. You'll often get more bleed through - because the systems (5e & LotRRP) are so similar, people will get confused and start playing the other. TOR will have less of that since the dice you have in front of you are visibly different, it helps keep the mental difference cleaner.

Personally, if you have a choice, I'd recommend TOR over LotRRP. However, if your group is insistent on LotRRP, then it's not a big deal if you go for the latter.

Nocternity
Topic Author

Thu 07 Sep 2023, 13:24

Thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciated!

Since I doubt we will dwelve that deep into 5E, I believe I'm gonna go ahead and grab TOR!

decanox

Sat 09 Sep 2023, 19:58

If you let one last opinion, I would tell this:

I was in the same situation... I have not played 5E (but I played Pathfinder first edition) and I am pretty used with Mutant Year Zero system Games as Forbidden Lands or Alien.

I finally opted for 5E because I checked some reviews about TOR and, although reviewers tell that is a perfect game in many aspects, they talk about some "abstraction" for example regarding Combat.

Seriously, I have read the 5E system and it's not difficult. It's much streamlined than previous editions (in my case, easier than Pathfinder 1st which is D&D 3.5).

My biggest complaint about Lord of the Rings 5E, however, is that you have to check several books to play and I don't know the reason to not include a 5E rules compilation with character advancement, Combat, etc in one LOTR rulebook.

Anyway I would say to not be to scared with 5E...

JLandan

Sat 09 Sep 2023, 20:11

My biggest complaint about Lord of the Rings 5E, however, is that you have to check several books to play and I don't know the reason to not include a 5E rules compilation with character advancement, Combat, etc in one LOTR rulebook.

The reason not to include 5e basics is that it would add a great deal to the size of the book, making it more expensive. The 5e basic rules are free to download, so there is no reason to include them. No other book is necessary.

Otaku-sempai

Sat 09 Sep 2023, 20:17

I"m pretty sure that the reason that Free League cannot present the full 5E rules is because of the limits imposed by the Open Gaming License. The good news is that both the Basic Rules and the SRD are available to download for free.
#FideltyToTolkien

decanox

Sat 09 Sep 2023, 20:43

The reason not to include 5e basics is that it would add a great deal to the size of the book, making it more expensive. The 5e basic rules are free to download, so there is no reason to include them. No other book is necessary.
Sure but, I suppose, FL could have edited two versions, for example. One with all the rules and more expensive and another cheaper.

And about the license, here, in Spain we have a RPG called (in my words): "the awakening of the dragon" which includes all 5E rules (Combat, Magic, etc.) and, of course, it's legal. The pocket version is about 20 euros.

Anyway I don't know the reason but is not much comfortable to me to check two sets of rules but I will get used to It.

Nocternity
Topic Author

Mon 11 Sep 2023, 22:20

If you let one last opinion, I would tell this:

I was in the same situation... I have not played 5E (but I played Pathfinder first edition) and I am pretty used with Mutant Year Zero system Games as Forbidden Lands or Alien.

I finally opted for 5E because I checked some reviews about TOR and, although reviewers tell that is a perfect game in many aspects, they talk about some "abstraction" for example regarding Combat.

Seriously, I have read the 5E system and it's not difficult. It's much streamlined than previous editions (in my case, easier than Pathfinder 1st which is D&D 3.5).

Thanks! I'll take it into consideration! I'm also gonna have a chat with a colleague of mine who DM's a lot of D&D if he and his group would be interested in getting into some LOTR roleplaying with me