Caleman
Topic Author

Tips for A Wicked Secret

Sun 03 Sep 2023, 17:55

Hello!

I’m looking to run A Wicked Secret as my next mystery and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with GMing the mystery? Did you change anything to make the story go down smooth? All tips and stories appreciated :)

GM Nadia

Re: Tips for A Wicked Secret

Sun 03 Sep 2023, 18:31

Hi,

I am currently running it, there is quite a lot going on in the story so I had a little trouble organising it. (I am a new GM and this is my most complicated one)

We played one session in which I had prepped half of the story. I did read through the whole story beforehand though, but it was not enough to really feel confident. I was really troubling with that. I would recommend prepping the whole story.

My players have just arrived in Färnsta and had a conversation with Marta. I have not felt the need to change anything yet.

The attacks from the Grimm are a little wierd. The bell tolls every night, so if you want all the countdowns to happen they have to stay there for 4 days. So if the story allows it I might put multiple attacks in one night.

The next session is next Tuesday
They were immediately planning to go to the church in the night, so I hope they survive :')

I would also like some tips so I'll follow this post.

Ezoah

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 17:15

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take your group to complete the first half of the adventure?

I was thinking of trying to run it in a single session, even if it's a bit long.

GM Nadia

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 18:23

We started the session at the castle for a couple of scenes and preparation, my players really like to roleplay, so it took about 3 hours for them to arrive at Färnsta.

I think I will take up 3 sessions of 3 hours with my group.
But it depends on how fast they discover the tunnels and decide to go in it. I believe that, as soon as they enter the tunnel, the confrontation starts.

Byrax

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 19:19

Too late, but if I would have run it now, I would start in media res with the train arriving, then explain the setup like a tale (giving the letter to them, ”it all started with a strange letter a few days ago, and now the steam train slows down in this industrious Northern city etc’ perhaps with flashbacks to any preparations the players request.

More cinematic and hopefully evocative that way, and not continuous from the ’start’.