moth-mariner
Topic Author

Reactions: Can you save your action?

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 14:18

So the text contradicts itself at least once, and I'm hoping for some insight (idk if any of the authors frequent these forums?)

The text for reactions has "...you cannot perform a reaction if you have already had your turn and performed an action." pg 42

Underlining is mine, because in the box for initiative cards, it says "Once you have had your turn in the round, you can flip the initiative card face down ... This means that you cannot perform any reaction (such as parrying an attack) later in the round." pg 43

So either Option A: you can move on your turn but hold your action in case of needing it for a reaction later, or Option B: once your turn passes you lose out on your reaction no matter whether you used an action or not.

Does anyone have any insight into which is correct? Or am I tossing a coin to decide.

Thanks for your time!

Fenhorn

Re: Reactions: Can you save your action?

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 14:40

I think that the await action is what you are meant to use to delay your action, but if you don't use that rule, then you should be able to skip your turn so you can use it for reactions later in the round.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

moth-mariner
Topic Author

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 14:48

Waiting lets you swap your whole turn with someone else, yeah.

But I’m more looking at how in one place reactions require you to have not used your action, and in another place they require you to have not had your turn.

So: can someone move, not take an action, and then use their reaction later?

One part of the text says no, another part says yes.

Fenhorn

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 15:03

When you parry or dodges you loose your normal movement so I would say no, you have to skip your entire turn in order to be able to react later.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

moth-mariner
Topic Author

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 15:11

That does seem more consistent to me.

But the other version of events is written or implied three times (reactions p42, parrying p46, dodging p47), whereas losing the action is only suggested in the initiative card sidebar.

Short Fey

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 19:13

That does seem more consistent to me.

But the other version of events is written or implied three times (reactions p42, parrying p46, dodging p47), whereas losing the action is only suggested in the initiative card sidebar.
From the way i interpret the rules, you can not spend an action AFTER your turn, unless you have an ability or spell that explicitly let's you (Such as Defensive). This gives those who go last a certain advantage. Unless they have already spent their action as a reaction, they will know for sure that they can perform their action without their targets being able to defend themselves back.

Sense your supposed to flip your card to indicate "I'm done this round", it could potentially be confusing to have someone not flip it and be "I'll go later", especially sense you go down the number order. Waiting at least makes you swap cards, so you can still keep track off who's turn it is.
Beware the fey!

moth-mariner
Topic Author

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 22:39

Yeah, I was interpreting it that way until this was pointed out in the text for both parrying and dodging, as well as reactions in general.

I guess it's use my best judgement unless there's an errata or official response then?

Short Fey

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 23:14

I think the intended rule is that when you do something that makes you flip your card, you can no longer perform any actions, and if it was done "out of turn", you lose your turn that round.
Sense the game is built on the fact you only have one action per turn, it puts focus on how you spend it. But beyond Waiting, there isn't anything in the rules that specifically says in the rules you can "hold" an action to use as a reaction later (At least as far as i can see)

So if you haven't used your Action in advance, you can not "save it" for later.

I base this on that it in general says that when you perform an Action, you flip the card. Sense the game checks turn order in "lowest to highest" with the initative cards, it makes it more easier to keep track off who has had their action and who hasn't. And it is written on the initative cards (which is what your most likely going to be looking at during gameplay) "Flip this card when you have performed your action."
Sense most reactions requires your action, you flip your card afterwards, sense you have done "Your action" this round.

But i think that you can save yourself a headache by just adding the "Wait" optional rule. If you feel unsure if you wanna Act now, you can just swap with someone and see how things plays out. You might not be able to move, but it achieves the same thing effectively.
Beware the fey!

moth-mariner
Topic Author

Fri 01 Sep 2023, 00:51

Oh no I understand and use the Wait rule, and flipping your card when you use your action/reaction, so you can't take your turn after you've used your reaction. I think we're talking at cross purposes.

But I've pointed out the relevant parts of the text already so I'll have to leave it as it is for now. Thanks.