Voronwe
Topic Author

So… no Grey Havens’ booklet before Moria?

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 12:59

Well, OK, I’m excited too about the Moria’s macro-project, but… c’mon, another Middle-Earth RPG that neglects Lindon/Grey Havens??

All other cultures’ homelands have been covered in TOR (1st or 2nd Edition)… we have the Shire, Bree, Dale, Erebor… even the Rangers’ havens in the Angle…

I’ll be really disappointed if FL leaves Lindon (Grey Havens and nearby areas) without at least a decent booklet similar to that of Rivendell…

Otaku-sempai

Re: So… no Grey Havens’ booklet before Moria?

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 14:46

A booklet covering the Grey Havens and possibly Lindon is something we could conceivably see before the publication of Moria. I would rather have a full, hardcover sourcebook covering: the Blue Mountains; Lindon; East Lune; the Gulf of Lune; and the Grey Havens.
#FideltyToTolkien

Sebastian

Sat 19 Aug 2023, 17:40

Ehem, there never was announced a Lindon sourcebook, so why should it be out before Moria? I mean, at some point it is possible to go there, given the fact that a lot of other regions were covered in 1e. So it makes sense to not repeat Rohan and Wilderland first.

So Lindon would be nice to have. Also Lorien snd finally Gondor, which was part of the old plans of Cubicle 7 for their 2e.

Otaku-sempai

Sat 19 Aug 2023, 20:42

It might seem unlikely, but it's taking a long time to develop Moria and a softcover booklet could have been in the pipe for a while now even though none has yet been announced. Honestly, I would be just as glad to see such a booklet expanding on the region of the Blue Mountains (and East Lune) and the Dwarves who dwell there. it is worth noting that the Havens are smack dab in between the northern and southern ranges of the Ered Luin.
#FideltyToTolkien

Dunheved

Sat 19 Aug 2023, 21:30

Aren't they Lindon elves? So the Culture is done in the Core. The maps cover the two regions of Lindon. So the geography needed for adventuring is done as well. It is not exactly a complete blank canvas to work with. e.g. "The White Towers" is directly related to the Lindon Elves

I concede that Lindon/Grey Havens was NOT done in TOR1e; but there was no Sourcebook for the Shire itself either, merely the Culture of Hobbits. Even in TOR2e a lot of that is in the Starter Set.

And it is VERY early in the development of this version of the game system to suggest that Lindon won't be featured later.
I might be more concerned if I thought that taking TOR2e into Wilderland was going to be so far off not the future that it will ignored for another five or six or seven or eight years. But that is not impossible: I could easily surmise a "journey" in steps like this - Moria: Lothlorien/The Great River: Fangorn & Rohan: Gondor & Ithilien: Mordor & Harad (Southrons). Because that is the "journey" we take with the fellowship.
And in that way, we only return to Mirkwood & Erebor when we learn of the attacks on those kingdoms by the Easterlings AFTER Frodo's success is narrated.

Giving one year to each region in my list (an incredibly arduous publishing schedule, I suspect) that's 5 years minimum. But at least three of those can be split in two.

Otaku-sempai

Sun 20 Aug 2023, 04:16

We have a write-up for the Lindon Elves, yes, but not a sourcebook specifically detailing the Grey Havens. SImilarly, we could use some cultural variants for Dwarves of the Blue Mountains who are not Longbeards (Durin's Folk) as well as a close look at specific locations in the Blue Mountains such as the former Halls of Thorin Oakenshield.
#FideltyToTolkien

Sebastian

Sun 20 Aug 2023, 09:45

Didn’t Francesco mention, that it would be interesting to follow the Fellowship? We startet i Eriador, we go through Moria, next book should cover Lorien and maybe parts of southern Mirkwood and Wilderland. After this, Rohan with Fangorn and then Gondor. (I don’t think I need a book for Mordor).

Otaku-sempai

Sun 20 Aug 2023, 15:56

Didn’t Francesco mention, that it would be interesting to follow the Fellowship? We startet i Eriador, we go through Moria, next book should cover Lorien and maybe parts of southern Mirkwood and Wilderland. After this, Rohan with Fangorn and then Gondor. (I don’t think I need a book for Mordor).
Since Cubicle 7 already covered Rohan (and Fangorn), I'm not sure that Free League is in any hurry to tread over the same ground. On the other hand, it would be great to have an expansion for Lothlórien. And Gondor needs at least two hardcovers: both a sourcebook and a campaign book, maybe even a separate book covering Minas Tirith. Actually, I could see Gondor getting its own kickstarter.
#FideltyToTolkien

babi_gog

Sun 20 Aug 2023, 18:01

Since Cubicle 7 already covered Rohan (and Fangorn), I'm not sure that Free League is in any hurry to tread over the same ground. On the other hand, it would be great to have an expansion for Lothlórien. And Gondor needs at least two hardcovers: both a sourcebook and a campaign book, maybe even a separate book covering Minas Tirith. Actually, I could see Gondor getting its own kickstarter.
However the Rohan book never made it to press, so many folks don't have it, and it can't be got now.

Sebastian

Sun 20 Aug 2023, 19:57

Rohan was released, in print and pdf.