Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Homebrew Heroic Abilities Combined

Fri 11 Aug 2023, 21:41

Hello All... so I've taken the liberty of collecting some of my favorite ideas that folks posted on the heroic abilities thread... I've collected them, modified them in several cases to bring them into line with Dragonbane "balance" based upon my "game sense" as well as my personal preferences.

Thanks to Short Fey, ClarkHam and Ghost Warlok for the vast majority of these. If you see something in here you posted that I've changed, please don't take that personal. It's just my take on game balance (and maybe you'll like it better) :D

I've taken great care to ensure all these offerings were (imho) in line with "like or similar" abilities as presented in the game. Let know your thoughts and i truly appreciate everyone's input and creativeness.

ANTIQUARIAN
Requirement: Bartering 12
Willpower Points: 2
When you determine the value of an item after having drawn it from the treasure desk, such as a ring, necklace, goblet, gem, etc., you may attempt a bartering roll. On a success, you may determine the value of the item twice and select the better result.

AXE FIGHTER
Requirement: Axes 12
Nothing splits a shield like a mighty axe. You may attack an enemy’s shield, with bane. If you hit, treat the damage as if you rolled a dragon. If you roll a dragon, you may attempt to knock the opponent prone. If the shield breaks, any remaining damage is dealt to the target (armor applies as normal).

FAMOUS
Requirement: —
When you attempt to use PERSUASION on an NPC, you can activate this ability to get a boon on your roll. Your request must still be reasonable. Activating this ability does not count as an action.

HAMMER FIGHTER
Requirement: Hammers 12
Willpower Points: 3
On a successful attack with your hammer (see hammers, p.35) you may attempt to topple your opponent. This means you can damage the opponent and attempt to topple them. You decide to use this after you have hit, but before rolling damage.

IMMOVABLE
Requirement: Acrobatics 12
You can activate this ability (not an action) to resist being toppled or shoved by an attack.

MAN-AT-ARMS
Requirement: Any melee weapon skill: 12
Willpower Points: -
You know how to use your armor for maximum effect and add 1 point to the armor rating of any armor you wear (excluding helmets).

MEDICUS
Requirement: Healing 12
You are adapt in tending to the injured. You can activate this ability when you are performing a Healing roll during a Stretch Rest. You may heal up to two patients instead of one, not including yourself, provided you have at least two bandages to use or have access to Surgical Instruments (page 79). You only roll for the action once – if it succeeds, both patients are healed with 2d6 instead of a d6.

NIMBLE
You can activate this ability when moving in order to move past enemies blocking your way, assuming you have enough movement to do so. You still draw free attacks from enemies whose space you attempt to pass through (p.43)

PACK RAT
Willpower Points: —
You can carry an additional 3 items without becoming over-encumbered.

RECOVERY
Requirement: Bushcraft: 12
Willpower Points: 1
As a free action you can call upon your natural reserves to bolster yourself when the chips are down to recover 1D6 hit points. Once you use this ability you must complete a stretch rest before you can use it again. You cannot use this ability when you are at 0 hit points.

RESILIENT
Requirement: -
When rolling for a critical injury, you get a boon on the roll. If you fail the roll, you may subtract D4 from the result which can go below 1 (thus potentially negating any effect).

STALWART
When rolling death saves, you roll with a boon.

SHARPSHOOTER
Requirement: Bows or Crossbows 12
You are a master archer and when you take the time to aim for a weak spot on your target, you may re-roll any 1’s or 2’s on the weapons damage. You must keep the new result. This cannot be combined with Twin Shot.

SHIELD FIGHTER
Requirement: Any melee weapon skill: 12
You have learned to use your shield along with your weapon. Upon a successful attack with your primary (non-shield) weapon, you may take an immediate second attack, at bane, with your shield. Decide to activate this ability after rolling damage with your primary weapon. Use of this ability requires a weapon.

SIXTH SENSE
Requirement: Awareness 12
Activating this ability does not count as an action. When you are subject to a sneak attack you negate the attacker’s boon and may attempt to dodge or parry the attack. You must still use an action to do so.

SPEAR FIGHTER
Requirement: Spears 12
Once per round as a free action you may immediately attack an enemy who moves adjacent to you. The attack is done with a bane.

SPRINTER
You can activate this ability to add 10m to your movement for the round. If you use your action to Dash when using this ability, you add +20m to your move.

SWORD FIGHTER
Requirement: Swords 12
Once per round as a free action you may make a counterattack after a successful parry. The counterattack is done with a bane.

TACTICIAN
Requirement: Myths & Legends 12
Use your action to activate this ability. You grant an ally who can see and hear you a free attack against an opponent within their reach or a ranged attack against a single opponent.
Last edited by Barbarianbob on Sun 13 Aug 2023, 18:50, edited 11 times in total.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Re: Homebrew Heroic Abilities Combined

Sat 12 Aug 2023, 06:46

I added two more, but I'm not sure if they are good for DB or not. Let me know what you think...

RESILIENT
When rolling for a critical injury, you get a boon on the roll.
If you fail the roll, you may subtract D4 from the result which can go below 1 (thus potentially negating any effect).
Source: Barbarianbob

STALWART
When rolling death saves, you roll with a boon.
Source: Barbarianbob from Symbaroum.
Last edited by Barbarianbob on Sat 12 Aug 2023, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Short Fey

Sat 12 Aug 2023, 10:41

ROBUST
When rolling death saves, you roll with a boon. This effect is negated if you are rallied.
There already is a ROBUST in the book though.

ROBUST
✦ Requirement: —
✦ Willpower Points: —
Your max HP increases by 2. This heroic ability can be selected multiple times, without limit.
Beware the fey!

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Sat 12 Aug 2023, 17:09

ROBUST
When rolling death saves, you roll with a boon. This effect is negated if you are rallied.
There already is a ROBUST in the book though.
Doh!

Lol... yea i missed that. Renamed to Stawart. I also edited it to remove the limit that is becomes negated if rallied.

Any thoughts on the balance/mechanics?

ClarkHam

Thu 17 Aug 2023, 01:56

rad! Thanks for using my stuff and making it more balanced. Looks great

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Thu 17 Aug 2023, 02:19

rad! Thanks for using my stuff and making it more balanced. Looks great
Thanks for the inspiration. Happy you enjoyed the tweaks. Love creating stuff for RPGs

ElCucuy

Sun 07 Jan 2024, 01:50

I'd like to contribute one that I've allowed in my game.

EXPERIENCED
Your maximum number of Hit Points and Willpower Points are permanently increased by 1 each. You can select this heroic ability multiple times, without limit.

Antonious

Tue 16 Jan 2024, 00:16

I have a few of my own that I've just cooked up.

FAST HANDS
Requirement: Sleight of Hand 12
When you activate this ability on your turn (not an action), you can use an item this turn without consuming your action.

LUCKY PACK
You can activate this ability as a reaction when you take damage to further protect yourself by sacrificing some of your items. Choose a number of items in your inventory with a weight of 1 or more. The damage is reduced by the total combined weight of items you sacrifice, up to a maximum combined weight of 4. The chosen items are destroyed.

YARN SPINNER
Requirement: Persuasion 12
Willpower Points: Varies
You have a knack for storytelling that captivates those who listen. When you activate this ability, make a PERSUASION roll. On a success, people of your choice that can hear and understand you have a bane on AWARENESS and SPOT HIDDEN rolls. This lasts for up to one stretch, and it costs 1 WP per minute. This ability cannot be used in combat and ends immediately if initiative is drawn.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Fri 19 Jan 2024, 23:09

I'd like to contribute one that I've allowed in my game.

EXPERIENCED
Your maximum number of Hit Points and Willpower Points are permanently increased by 1 each. You can select this heroic ability multiple times, without limit.
Hmmmmm.... this one is interesting. It's one less than... robust and focused, but it hits both of them. Very interesting. I can see adding this one.