Calle
Topic Author

Magical success

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 11:23

A question, if you have lets say a belt of AWE can you only make Magical Success that has to do with AWE? or can you use it for any kind of Skill?

Linklite

Re: Magical success

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 15:50

My understanding is that it has to be the skill that the Blessing affects. So, if you have a Belt of Awe, you can get a Magical Success on Awe, but nothing else (with that magical item - you could if you had another item or a second blessing on the belt).

Honestly, even if I'm wrong and one of the Devs said you could use it on any check, I'd immediately houserule it back. The reason is that Elves pay dearly for their ability to do just that (up to 6 Shadow Points per year, depending on how many the party get nullified during the Fellowship Phases), and if all you needed to get the same ability was to get one magic item...yeah, that really sucks.

Linklite

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 15:56

Rereading the section ("Magical Success", p21), and there's no mention of it being limited to relevant talents or artefacts, so I suppose RAW it could be any.

However, I find it hard to believe that the intent was that had to be relevant, and I stand by what I wrote above - I'd definitely rule that it had to be relevant, eg that it had to be a blessing on Awe to use it for a Magical Success on an Awe roll.

Calle
Topic Author

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 17:03

My thought too. Why the meaning of having alot of different items if you only need one to do anything. I will use it like you said. A belt of Awe will work on situations that involves Awe.

CaptHaddock

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 18:06

I think it's pretty clear on pages 161 and 162 that the magical success is only possible for the Skill that the Blessing(s) applies to.
Blistering barnacles!

Linklite

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 19:42

The only bit that I see that comments on Magical Success is the indented section on p161:
The bearer of a Marvellous Artefact or Wondrous Item gains (2d) when making rolls using the Skill corresponding to its Blessing, and allows the Player-­hero to achieve a magical success (see page 21).
The problem is that your understanding presupposes that Magical Successes cannot be used independently of the specific Blessing. It is also able to be validly interpreted in the following segments:
The bearer of a Marvellous Artefact or Wondrous Item
[gains (2d) when making rolls using the Skill corresponding to its Blessing,] and [allows the Player-­hero to achieve a magical success] (see page 21).
If the generic application of Magical Success was intended, the sentence still works, and there's nowhere (that I've noticed) that unambiguously says you can't. As I said, I'm pretty sure the specific application is intended and I think the game would be worse without the restriction, it's just not unambiguously stated which makes RAW different.

CaptHaddock

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 22:06

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's quite unambiguous. The indented section on page 161 is a further clarification of the preceding paragraph:
A single Blessing bestowed upon an object lets its bearer affect the result of all rolls made using a specific Skill. An object possessing two Blessings will then modify the outcome of two different Skills.
It's very clear that the Blessings affect one skill each.
Blistering barnacles!

Linklite

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 22:15

Read my post again. If you do the understand what I said, please point it out to me.

CaptHaddock

Sat 05 Aug 2023, 00:41

I do understand your posts. Basically, you're saying that your understanding of the intention of the rules is that a Blessing should only allow magical successes for the Skill that the Blessing applies to. However, you're also arguing that the rules aren't written clearly enough, as they can be interpreted as a single Blessing allowing magical successes to apply to all Skills.

I think the rules are unambiguous. The first sentence in the paragraph that I referred to in my last post says "A single Blessing bestowed upon an object lets its bearer affect the result of all rolls made using a specific Skill." The only thing that I can think may be causing confusion is forgetting that a magical success still requires a Skill roll (as described on page 21). Invoking a magical success is something that a player can do when making a Skill roll - in which case they automatically succeed and don't need to roll the Feat die, but they do still roll Success dice.

Using the original poster's example, if the player-hero wearing the Awesome Belt wanted to impress someone using their AWE Skill, then the Blessing would apply. They could decide whether to magically succeed before making the Skill roll. But if they wanted to impress them with their musicianship using their SONG Skill, the Blessing on their Awesome Belt wouldn't be any help, so they couldn't invoke a magical success on the Skill roll.

Your interpretation of the sentence in the indented section on page 161 could be valid if the sentence is read in isolation. But it's not a reasonable interpretation when read in context with the rules on page 21 that it specifically refers to.
Blistering barnacles!

Sebastian

Sat 05 Aug 2023, 13:17

For me it is quite obvious, that the magical success is only possible for the skill with the blessing. Otherwise these items would be far too mighty and make the Elvish Blessing weaker.