gyrovague

Re: MORIA news

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 23:57

Honestly I'm a little surprised this thread isn't already 10 pages long.

What happened?

Xelforp

Sat 05 Aug 2023, 01:04

We're just being careful... Not getting carried away. Who knows what's hiding in the dark?!!!

gyrovague

Sat 05 Aug 2023, 05:36

We're just being careful... Not getting carried away. Who knows what's hiding in the dark?!!!
The only way to find out is to delve deeper. What could possibly go wrong?

Dunheved
Topic Author

Sat 05 Aug 2023, 14:28

Gyrovague is correct, digging DEEPLY is no problem: but if you dig too GREEDILY and too deep .... aah, that's the issue!

Xelforp

Sat 05 Aug 2023, 23:08

I must admit, that despite hardly having played this game at all (except online), that I'm happily waiting for this supplement. Feeling so much anticipation, just like Balin must have felt on his way there!

Linklite

Sat 05 Aug 2023, 23:19

I must admit, that despite hardly having played this game at all (except online), that I'm happily waiting for this supplement. Feeling so much anticipation, just like Balin must have felt on his way there!
May your fates ever differ.

HunterGreen

Sun 06 Aug 2023, 14:37

Honestly I'm a little surprised this thread isn't already 10 pages long.

What happened?
Fair amount of discussion and speculation on the discord, but really, we know so little that it's hard to delve that deeply -- Gareth's kept even the basic premise under wraps, though there's a few clues in the so-far published books to give some tantalizing hints.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

AndrewTBP

Mon 07 Aug 2023, 03:47

I’m assuming on no evidence whatsoever that Moria will resemble another mega dungeon written by Gareth: Eyes of the Stone Thief for 13th Age.
I have run it, and it resembles the TOR Landmarks structure.

Linklite

Mon 07 Aug 2023, 10:52

Well, it's described as an "epic campaign", which, to my mind, means one of three things:
  • It's just a normal campaign like Rime of the Frostmaiden 5e where there is a narrative arc from start to finish. The "epic" is to distinguish it from TftLL that is essentially a bunch of short adventures or the Starter Adventures that are only loosely tied together.
  • It's an explorer game similar to the Shackleton Expanse Guide (SE) from STA. To describe SE, it's where you explore an area of space, and you can even develop it into a hex crawler where you develop the map as you explore. There is a story aka a campaign, where you come across certain episodes at times of the choosing of the GM, but other areas (again chosen by the GM) have unrelated missions (or briefs that work similarly to Landmarks in TOR).
  • It could be a mega dungeon with landmarks spread throughout.
My thoughts are that it's likely the 1st point. Second point I'd describe differently, although SE is known as the Shackleton Expanse Campaign Guide, so it's not unreasonable. I'd lean away from 3 though because that would basically be RotLR again, whereas this is described differently.

gyrovague

Mon 07 Aug 2023, 16:23

I've always imagined Moria for TOR needing some kind of underground journey rules. It wouldn't be TOR (or really any RPG I've wanted to play since 1990) that actually tried to map out all of Moria; most of it has to be abstract. But it also needs to somehow convey the sense of awesome vastness, and constant fear.

When were the first whispers of Moria, when it was still a C7 project? I feel like I've been waiting through two (US) presidential administrations.