Linklite

Re: MORIA news

Sun 03 Sep 2023, 22:17

Plus, Gondor is the definitive civilisation for the era. It's kind of like asking why you'd want Hobbiton when you're doing adventures in the Shire. Of course, taste is a factor and it's not going to be for everyone (I've not spent any time in Hobbiton yet), but it's naturally going to garner an outsized proportion of interest just on the name.

Dunheved
Topic Author

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 10:15

And there is a lot of stuff that is barely mentioned in Gondor.
Lots of non-Numenorean cultures; the opportunity to travel across open sea; all those secrets locked up under the White Mountains, and the Woses and the Lower Anduin.

Gondor should be so much more than Minas Tirith - just like Britain is a lot more than London!

gyrovague

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 19:47

And there is a lot of stuff that is barely mentioned in Gondor.
Lots of non-Numenorean cultures; the opportunity to travel across open sea; all those secrets locked up under the White Mountains, and the Woses and the Lower Anduin.

Gondor should be so much more than Minas Tirith - just like Britain is a lot more than London!
Yes, those are great points. Gondor is vast. There are opportunities for Tolkien-esque adventure in its wilder corners.

Still, I personally am most interested in the north. Although much of it has been covered geographically, it hasn’t been in much depth.

Bertie Wooster

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 20:39

Hello, one question before embarking into the Moria Kickstarter (+ Core rules etc) as we in our table are somewhat confused.

The Kickstarter description reads: Moria™ – Through the Doors of Durin is an epic campaign expansion delving into the depths of Khazad-dûm. Key word: Campaign.

But the proper description of the contents reads as a Setting Book of Moria: NPC , places, history description etc

So, which is it as they are quite different products? (It is important for us)

Epic campaign? (plots): Masks of Nyarlathotep, The Enemy Within...
Moria Setting book? (description of contents): Call of Cthulhu the London Guidebook, Middenheim city of the White Wolf...

Thank you in advance!

Otaku-sempai

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 21:00

Hello, one question before embarking into the Moria Kickstarter (+ Core rules etc) as we in our table are somewhat confused.

The Kickstarter description reads: Moria™ – Through the Doors of Durin is an epic campaign expansion delving into the depths of Khazad-dûm. Key word: Campaign.

But the proper description of the contents reads as a Setting Book of Moria: NPC , places, history description etc

So, which is it as they are quite different products? (It is important for us)

Epic campaign? (plots): Masks of Nyarlathotep, The Enemy Within...
Moria Setting book? (description of contents): Call of Cthulhu the London Guidebook, Middenheim city of the White Wolf...

Thank you in advance!
Setting guide is probably a more accurate description, though the book will surely contain Landmarks, plot hooks and suggestions for running a Moria campaign.
#FideltyToTolkien

Marcello

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 22:37

It seems it's more than a setting book, and less than a fully-fleshed campaign:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... ts/3897409

gyrovague

Tue 05 Sep 2023, 01:20

It seems it's more than a setting book, and less than a fully-fleshed campaign:

Sounds like...Darkening of Mirkwood.

Bertie Wooster

Tue 05 Sep 2023, 10:21

Thank you for the info and the clarifications!

The Moria Book, according with the shared info, does not contain scenes+adventures (fully developed or not); after checking the current TOR 2E products the book is much more related to a Ruins of the lost Realm than to a Tales of the Lone Lands or to a Darkening of Mirkwood.
Our gaming group would like very much to have some fully fledged adventures as a launching point of a Moria campaign or as a guideline of what a Moria campaign could accomplish with the provided setting material.

Lets see the final product as it is prepared under the contrasted quality guarantee of Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan and Francesco Nepitello.

Linklite

Tue 05 Sep 2023, 13:07

There will be adventures (although it's possible that they intended Landmarks), but they won't have a fixed narrative arc. Instead, they can be played in different orders.

In my head, I'm thinking Ruins of the Lost Realms (if you have it), but bigger and set in Moria and it's environs. Yes, I feel that "epic campaign" is misleading, given what they've said since. "Epic campaign" is more like 5e's adventures but longer, with a narrative arc with many quests to further it as well as subplots.

Dunheved
Topic Author

Wed 06 Sep 2023, 09:10

I sometimes find the conversation about sandboxs (and the Landmark style in TOR2e) just a bit divisive in tone.

Now my interpretation of "tone" is of course very subjective in text based messages in a forum, so this is very much my own feelings to what I am reading (VERY likely to be my mistake, I realise).

For all the experienced gamers who embrace the flexibility of what is called a sandbox approach, and confidently laud it as a "better way for them", there are several less confident requests regularly made for published campaigns with a clear trail to be followed.

Darkening of Mirkwood - to me - is just as easy to be called a sandbox as a railroad campaign. The many different entries in the tale of years take place all over Mirkwood and are effectively just as much a series of Landmarks as anything in TOR2e. The only difference is that the authors (wisely imho) provided a path from Landmark to Landmark, which gives a common thread for all gamers to use or ignore or shuffle as they wish.

I expect that Moria has lots of information in it - all great ideas from the writing team. But if it is presented as a sandbox of disconnected locations, this is not always the greatest help to first time gamers.
In TOR1e Tales from Wilderland - six stand alone stories where several could be threaded together - was a brilliant early sourcebook. And yet still incredibly simple to apply in the sandbox style if you have that confidence. Of course the MORIA book has been composed now, but if it had been filled in with a story, so what? Now that I am a more experienced gamer, I know how to corrupt the story made by an author who lays down a Railroad for me. I can make a sandbox by stripping out the connections that get in the way of my own ideas.

It would not harm any book if it was a campaign like DoM: and as an example would help other gamers start up. I'd like a mixture of sourcebook styles, to include examples of more directed stories - often such books actually illustrate the rules as intended in action.

Just my opinion of course.