Pennywise_RoS
Topic Author

Hideout Feat Clarification

Tue 25 Jul 2023, 02:42

New to RoS!

I have a player that wants to take the hideouts feat. The player feels if he has a contact and rolls the DC 15 INT check...that he should find a safe hideout.

By being "safe", that means that an extended rest could be taken. Sure, as DM, I could have the hideouts occupied or an abomination follow them to the hideout or another mechanism by which to interrupt the rest period.

But what was the intent of hideouts? How many exist in a given area? We are planning to hexcrawl Davokar with 6 miles hexes, lets say. Should there be x number per mile?

Should there be hideouts 3000 feet up in a mountain pass just because a player has the feat and rolls a 15 DC INT check?

Any suggestions on how to be fair to the player taking the feat but avoid trivializing rests, particularly extended rests, so that we don't minimize the danger of exploration far from home by just popping out a hideout?

Thanks!!

Jacob Rodgers

Re: Hideout Feat Clarification

Tue 25 Jul 2023, 12:40

Okay, remember that Hideouts gives you the possibility of a nearby Hideout in the vicinity, not a guarantee. And 'vicinity' is intentionally vague, and the hideouts are noted to be in Ambria and (only) the outer regions of Davokar.

So you need a Hideout somewhere in Thistlehold? Make a DC 15 check and maybe you remember that back alley, the secret knock, and the pass-phrase. Fail the check, and you're struggling with at least one of them.

Need a Hideout in Dark Davokar? Don't bother rolling, there are none.

Need a Hideout on the edges of Davokar? Make a check. On a success you might know of one, but it's three days away, already occupied by a faction you don't get along with, recently reclaimed by Trolls, or whatever you as GM need for the situation.

Pennywise_RoS
Topic Author

Re: Hideout Feat Clarification

Tue 25 Jul 2023, 13:23

Hi, Jacob -

I really appreciate the quick reply! Your answer seems to confirm my way of thinking. I'll work with my player to help him understand and work towards providing him some utility closer to the Ambrian border.

I've introduced my d&d group to RoS, there's 5 of us and I'm sure we'll have a few more questions along the way.

Thanks!!