CherryC0p
Topic Author

Urban Ops Breaching Explosion Example Mistake? Page 20

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 03:51

The Example in Urban Ops for Breaching seems to be a bit off. (page 20 of Urban Ops)

The C Blast Power Explosive used is a Shaped Charge, which the example correctly reduces it's blast power (Page 70 in the Player's Manual) for the poor marauders inside the room, but the example forgets that Explosions increase one Blast Power indoors, so the modifiers should cancel out right?

Or are explosives that are used for Breaching exempt from that rule?

I'm trying to figure out if the Example is wrong or the Breaching rules are missing a bit of info.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

Fenhorn

Re: Urban Ops Breaching Explosion Example Mistake? Page 20

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 06:11

It has been a while since I read all this but me glancing over this, but since (I guess here) that the initial blast power has already taken the indoor effect into consideration so the blast power C in the example is with that in mind and then the blast power in the subsector is modified from that, from C to D, so the indoor modifier has already in the calculation.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

CherryC0p
Topic Author

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 19:14

Except its not and I was confused even more so by reading the old edition of the Player's Manual. There are two versions on DriveThruRPG, a standalone player's manual that is outdated, and one bundled as part of the Coreset that is more recent.

The new rules for the Shaped charges have no Blast power at all to secondary targets, so there should be no mention of a reduction or a increase in the example in UO at all.

The only thing i can think of is that UO came out before the updated Player's manual, had a typo about the Reduction/Increase (which should cancel out per CQC rules) and then UO was never updated to show the new Shaped charges rules lol
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

Fenhorn

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 19:50

But the Player's Manual deals with sectors, while the special rules in UA deals with subsectors a much smaller scale area.

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 20 Jul 2023, 19:31

Hello!

Checking this, and you are right, the example on page 20 in Urban Operations appears to be a little off. The rule of reducing the blast power of a shaped charge has been removed in the core game, instead removing the general explosive effect altogether in the same hex. However, as per the breaching rules i UO, the explosive effect affects the hex / sector on the other side of the breach. I think the logical resolution here would be to let a shaped charge have its full blast power in the target tex / sector (i.e. beyond the breach) and that it's increased one step due to the confined space. So, in the example, the effective blast power in the marauders' room should have been B, not D. We will clarify and revise this in an update the UO PDF as well as in any reprint.
Fria Ligan

Fenhorn

Thu 20 Jul 2023, 19:48

Thanks Tomas for clearing things out. What would we do without you 8-)