Barbarianbob
Topic Author

General Spells Chat

Thu 13 Jul 2023, 23:46

So... just making sure i understand this...

P.57 Ranks. Indicates how powerful a spell is. But has really no other effect mechanically, other than you start with Rank 1 spells.

You can hold a number of prepared spells = to the base chance of INT (p. 25). Your spells are stored in your grimoire. So... the moment you "learn" a new spell that goes beyond your base chance limit... you HAVE to have you grimiore to record the new spell in (otherwise I'm assuming you "forget" one spell to hold the new one... like if your lost your grimiore. If you lose your grimoire, im assuming you don't lose the spells you had prepared... like after you run out of will power... you just can't swap spells out.

Power Level... this is how much WP you put into the spell based on its power level range of 1 (magic tricks) 2 (most other spells) or others that cost 0 or default 2. And power level has nothing to do with Rank.

If a spell has a power range of 2... it cost 2 WP to cast or, if the spell allows, for another 2 WP you can bump the spell up with effects described in the spell (increased range, damage, duration, etc).

That about right?

Fenhorn

Re: General Spells Chat

Fri 14 Jul 2023, 00:00

P.57 Ranks. Indicates how powerful a spell is. But has really no other effect mechanically, other than you start with Rank 1 spells.
Yes, ranks is just in what tier the spell is in a chain of spells that must be learned in order. I.e. in order to learn a rank 2 spell you must first learn a specified rank 1 spell.
You can hold a number of prepared spells = to the base chance of INT (p. 25). Your spells are stored in your grimoire. So... the moment you "learn" a new spell that goes beyond your base chance limit... you HAVE to have you grimiore to record the new spell in (otherwise I'm assuming you "forget" one spell to hold the new one... like if your lost your grimiore. If you lose your grimoire, im assuming you don't lose the spells you had prepared... like after you run out of will power... you just can't swap spells out.
Pretty much it. If you loose your grimoire, all the spells that you have prepared are still prepared, you just can't prepare new spells (i.e. change what spells you have prepared), until you either have got your book back or have got a new one.
Power Level... this is how much WP you put into the spell based on its power level range of 1 (magic tricks) 2 (most other spells) or others that cost 0 or default 2. And power level has nothing to do with Rank.

If a spell has a power range of 2... it cost 2 WP to cast or, if the spell allows, for another 2 WP you can bump the spell up with effects described in the spell (increased range, damage, duration, etc).
Spells are cast in Power Levels of 1, 2 or 3, with the WP cost of 2, 4 or 6, respectively. Some spells don't use Power Levels, they always cost 2. Magic Tricks always cost 1 WP.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Fri 14 Jul 2023, 03:12

Cool. Sounds like i pretty much got it down. Appreciate the clarifications and confirmation.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Fri 21 Jul 2023, 20:55

A bit more on the spells chat...

Is there and upper limit to how far you can "power up" a spell?

Example: fireball... "each power level beyond the first increases the damage by D6 or creates another fireball that hits another target within range"

How many times can a career "power up" fireball? Is it as long as they have WP to keep paying?

Fenhorn

Fri 21 Jul 2023, 21:02

Example: fireball... "each power level beyond the first increases the damage by D6 or creates another fireball that hits another target within range"

How many times can a career "power up" fireball? Is it as long as they have WP to keep paying?
Spells are cast with a Power Level of 1-3 with the cost of 2-6 WP with the exception of some spells that doesn't use Power Levels that simply costs 2 WP. Minor Tricks simply cost 1 WP and also doesn't have Power Levels.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Fri 21 Jul 2023, 22:27

Spells are cast with a Power Level of 1-3 with the cost of 2-6 WP with the exception of some spells that doesn't use Power Levels that simply costs 2 WP. Minor Tricks simply cost 1 WP and also doesn't have Power Levels.
Thanks! That's what i was thinking, but nice to get the confirmation

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Fri 21 Jul 2023, 22:29

Casting/Ranged Combat in Melee
P.49 states that using a ranged weapon adjacent to an enemy gives you a bane on your attack. Does this apply to ranged spells as well?

Fenhorn

Fri 21 Jul 2023, 23:03

Casting/Ranged Combat in Melee
P.49 states that using a ranged weapon adjacent to an enemy gives you a bane on your attack. Does this apply to ranged spells as well?
No.

AndreaL

Wed 07 Feb 2024, 11:31

Good morning. During our session, my party had the following doubt: is it possible learning a spell as long as a character has still not satisfied all the prerequisites yet only on the mere basis of owning a Grimoire with such a spell? More specifically, is it possible to learn Ensnaring Root from a Grimoire without Animism or Lighting Bolt without Lighting Flash. In my honest opinion, the answer should be «No». Thank you.
Burn the book.

Fenhorn

Wed 07 Feb 2024, 13:14

You must meet all the prerequisites in order to learn a spell and of course have the right skill.