Topic Author

Building better worlds pdf

Fri 07 Jul 2023, 00:05

Any update on the pdf release for BBW?

Angelman

Re: Building better worlds pdf

Fri 07 Jul 2023, 00:41

A week ago, following a conversation on the Facebook group, Tomas said this:
"Hello! There is a slight delay on the book, sorry about that, but layout is almost complete. We'll let you know as soon as it's done and approved!"
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

ExileInParadise

Fri 07 Jul 2023, 21:14

<grumble> It would be nicer if the official forum and mailing lists got notices like this first / instead of that nightmarish dystopian hellhole called facebook. I can hear you well, George Orwell...

Thanks for cross-posting Angelman!
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

Fenhorn

Fri 07 Jul 2023, 21:22

<grumble> It would be nicer if the official forum and mailing lists got notices like this first / instead of that nightmarish dystopian hellhole called facebook. I can hear you well, George Orwell...

Thanks for cross-posting Angelman!
I agree, but it is what it is.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Angelman

Fri 28 Jul 2023, 17:44

Update:

Here’s what Tomas posted in a (rather pissy and entitled) discussion on Facebook yesterday.

“Hey all, we’re certainly aware this situation is far from ideal.

As a general rule nowadays, we only run a pre-order if the PDF of the book is ready and can be shared immediately. That’s what we did with all the other pre-orders this year, like Vaesen and The One Ring books. We made an exception with BBW since we did want to do something fun for ALIEN Day and because we really did estimate we would have the finished PDF within a few weeks.

Unfortunately, we then suffered a series of setbacks in the final stages of layout, including not one but two graphic designers falling ill (one of them potentially for a prolonged time, I’m sorry to say). So, in hindsight it was clearly a mistake to launch the pre-order when we did, and we’re sorry for that. That said, we are doing all we can to complete the book and share the PDF with all pre-orders now.

I won’t give a new date as the final stages now depend on things beyond our control (health issues and licensor approval), but I really don’t expect it to be much longer. Thank you for your excitement about the ALIEN RPG and for your patience.”

(My text organization edit + some spelling corrections)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

ExileInParadise

Fri 28 Jul 2023, 21:35

Not sure I'd say its pissy or entitled from the quote - just sounds like frustration being caught between a rock and a hard place ...

I can only imagine how many emails and calls a day he's getting with "where's the book?!?" which probably adds on.

I'd rather it takes the time it takes to come out as the best book it can be.

And I need to practice my patience anyway so why not for this?

_ArthurDallas_

Fri 28 Jul 2023, 21:39

Ya take your time guys and get well. We're in no hurry. I prefer to get a finished Building Better Worlds product than a draft not ready.

Arthur.

Angelman

Sat 29 Jul 2023, 00:16

Not sure I'd say its pissy or entitled from the quote - just sounds like frustration being caught between a rock and a hard place ...
Ooops! Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post, folks. The pissy and entitlement posts where definitely not Tomas or any FL people, just your run-of-the-mill fan who throws poop at stuff.

I think Tomas cleared it up pretty well, and I'm excited for BBW coming out. Stuff happens when you're in this (and any) business, and the issue here is very, very minor indeed. This was down to eagerness and bad luck, really.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

ExileInParadise

Sat 29 Jul 2023, 14:39

Oh cool - yeah ... those are the folks I figured were chasing the Free League folks "I paid money and demand answers!" um ... did you read the thing that said the money was for something that doesn't exist yet? This is art, not toast... you don't just stick blank pages in the thing, press a button, and out comes your book. There's magic that happens and sometimes spellcasting just takes time.

Thanks for the update Angelman - that sounds much more like I'd expect ... but ... I wouldn't blame the FL folks from also being human and just saying "sheesh sometimes things just take time!"

I just hope everyone involved is feeling better... and that these illnesses didn't end up spawning chestbursters ... oh wait this is getting complicated because Alien writers *should* be spawning chestbursters... not personally but oh bother never mind. Get well soon folks...

ZeroFlee

Thu 10 Aug 2023, 18:15

This is good to know!
I'd gotten so used to the immediate digital release that I was worried I'd missed some email with the digital code. Glad I checked here before bothering customer support.

Hope their team recovers quickly from the health issues!