Dungalad
Topic Author

Aliens Dark Descent (maps)

Sun 25 Jun 2023, 08:49

Did you play the new Aliens Dark Descent videogame?

¿What do you think? ¿Did you like it?

I love / hate it (well, as most Alien franchise videogames... that I love them but can't play them more than once in a while 'cause are too stressful for me). I think it recreates very well the ambience of the military Aliens movie... tense and cautious exploration of the colony, all quiet, suddenly the motion tracker beep beep beep, movement all around, Hell awakes, shooting while retreating, shotgun here, flamethrower there, one marine down, two marines down, calling the APC near for an extraction... AAARRGGHH!!! :shock:

. . .

Anyway...

I think it's a great source for big and detailed colony maps, mines, nest, etc... to use with the RPG.

¿Has anyone found some place online with the maps?

BeardedGnome66

Re: Aliens Dark Descent (maps)

Sun 09 Jul 2023, 20:29

Saw the other day that the first map has been recreated by Mentorian in the Alien RPG discord group. He is creating several versions and is open to creating more variants. You can find it under resource-databank with the title "Dead Hills Colony Maps".

ExileInParadise

Re: Aliens Dark Descent (maps)

Tue 01 Aug 2023, 15:11

I really like ALIENS: DARK DESCENT

No spoilers here ... but there are a very specific set of maps for one of the missions that I want to pull out and use for one of the published ALIEN RPG modules.

A lot of online stuff is comparing it to some of the XCOM games ... and while if I stand way back, yeah I guess ... but up close? Nope - different.

DARK DESCENT mixes a LOT of different gameplay modes together ... a little XCOM, a little ALIEN BLACKOUT, and much more.

Story-wise I like how it transitions between the different gameplay modes in a way that makes sense in the overall story.

Tutorial mode is double-used to set the stage in a nice way ... the annoying popups mini-lessons are just a fact of life - but at least its not a pointless disconnected tutorial and then a new game ... the tutorial is the prologue.

I paid pretty close to full price with some DLC thrown in on Steam and I feel like I got my money's worth and more.

The promo says each mission is 20-60 minutes ... in my experience they are all closer to 60 minutes and that is NOT if you're doing 100% completions like grabbing all of the data pads.

There is backtracking, but not egregiously so ... most of the backtracking makes sense as you work your way deep into a situation and then extract yourself from it.

I thought the motion trackers would make it too easy ... but their use seems to be taken into account pretty well and they aren't the "god mode" they could have been.

I've got a few complaints about the game, but nothing major - a few technical glitches that didn't break missions for example (who is in the elevator? WHO?) and only very rarely did the fog of war stuff "fail" and give me unearned glimpses into things happening on the map I shouldn't have seen.

The squad AI works pretty well - I hate it when games stick my guys in corners and I have to juggle them out unrealistically - Dark Descent has places you can send one squaddie way off on an order, and they get it done and get back without too much huh-hu.

Little stuff like that wins big with me.

The only spoilerish tips I would say: pack welders and sentry guns, and don't ignore crates.

Stay frosty marines!
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad