Eddy Octane
Topic Author

How many dice needed?

Fri 23 Jun 2023, 20:18

Hi fellow gamers,
i havent played alien yet but i plan on buying the special dice sets to support my players. How many regular and how many stress dice sets would you recommend for 4 players plus gamemaster (mother)?

VicariousReality

Re: How many dice needed?

Sat 24 Jun 2023, 01:08

I have two sets of each, and just share them around the table as necessary. That has given me a dice pool deep enough for even the most outrageous of situations.

aramis

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 06:26

Hi fellow gamers,
i havent played alien yet but i plan on buying the special dice sets to support my players. How many regular and how many stress dice sets would you recommend for 4 players plus gamemaster (mother)?
Depends upon willingness to share dice.
Experienced characters can be rolling up to 1about 15 base dice (max 5 att, max 5 skill, 2 from talent, 3 from easy difficulty)
Starting characters can be rolling up to 13, (max 5 att, max 3 skill, 2 from talent, 3 from difficulty), but will seldom roll more than 8.
Androids can have 3 more dice, in both cases, for Strength.

That said, and while I love (and have multiple sets of) the official dice, players very quickly come to being able to use standard dice.
Also note that the dice are a medium-large size; you may want a dice-cup or two... Or a plastic 400-600ml cup, if you don't mind the loud rattle.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

_ArthurDallas_

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 23:34

you can play with white and red 6 faces dice if you prefer. consider the white dice for the stress for exemple.
Last edited by _ArthurDallas_ on Tue 19 Sep 2023, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

aramis

Wed 12 Jul 2023, 01:32

you can play with white and red 6 faces dices if you prefer. consider the white dices for the stress for exemple.
I'd pick the Red as the stress dice, myself... better thematic fit.
Oh, BTW, the English plural of «dice» is «dice».

Pain Pens or Sharpies can be used to mark faces or recolor pips; sharpies have the advantage of being able to be washed off with isopropyl/isopropanol alcohol on most plastics; the exceptions are actually melted by the solvent. Staedtler markers, too - the black barrels are alcohol soluble, the grey are water soluble.

Sherman

Wed 12 Jul 2023, 08:32

I have several sets. I think twenty dice of either type? I let the players hold the stress dice to keep track of stress, but it's not really enough to do that...
Buy a bunch, then buy more if need them!
In a pinch, or if you just prefer smaller dice, Warhammer dice work pretty well for stress dice. They have skulls on the 1 side, so that's makes them easy to distinguish from skill dice.

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 13 Jul 2023, 15:31

ahahahah! yes RED dice are better for stress ...
you got it man.

Arthur.
Last edited by _ArthurDallas_ on Tue 19 Sep 2023, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Wilder

Mon 17 Jul 2023, 05:59

I have 40 of each. As the GM, I reserve 10 and 5, and the rest are in a receptacle on the table. The players tend to keep the Stress dice as their Stress counters, which works well.
Jeff Wilder | San Francisco Bay Area
"And if you bore me, you lose your soul to me." | Belly

Jeff Wilder

Mon 17 Jul 2023, 06:05

The English plural of "die" is "dice." "Dice" is already plural.
Jeff Wilder | San Francisco Bay Area
"And if you bore me, you lose your soul to me." | Belly

aramis

Tue 18 Jul 2023, 05:28

The English plural of "die" is "dice." "Dice" is already plural.
That depends upon which nation one's from. The UK has used «dice» as both singular and plural for decades. The US generally uses «die» as singular, but the UK use is creeping in as RPGs and boardgames globalize.