OrunII
Topic Author

Buying Talents

Fri 23 Jun 2023, 09:31

Learning a talent always costs 5 XP. It also requires a day of practice and a successful WITS roll (roll for the attribute only). You can make one attempt per day. If instructed by a teacher who has the talent, your roll succeeds automatically
The way I read it, those 5 XP are per attempt.
Can anyone confirm/deny?

Fenhorn

Re: Buying Talents

Fri 23 Jun 2023, 09:50

If you want to learn a talent, you have to spend a day practice and successfully roll a wits roll (this is not a skill roll and therefore can't be pushed) or you hire a teacher and this wits roll is automatic. At the end of a session, you can now spend 5 XP the talent you have successfully practiced on.

So you don't spend any XP while you practice. If you fail the practice wits roll then you can't spend the 5 XP. If you fail the practice wits roll, you can of course spend another day and another day until you make it, but a campaign in this game is very story driven so, it might not just be possible to just spend day after day after day. The story the GM tells will not wait for the PCs because they want to train a bit before they interact with the story. In this type of game you have to squeeze in the training when find a bit of time.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

OrunII
Topic Author

Fri 23 Jun 2023, 11:44

That is also how I intend to play it but the wording irks me.
Because the cost is stated first, and then there's the issue of marking down/tracking talents you have "learned", but not yet paid the XP cost for. :P

Fenhorn

Fri 23 Jun 2023, 12:05

That is also how I intend to play it but the wording irks me.
Because the cost is stated first, and then there's the issue of marking down/tracking talents you have "learned", but not yet paid the XP cost for. :P
The idea is that you spend the XP after the session in which you trained for it, so you don't have to remember what you have trained for that long.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore