creativehum
Topic Author

Extra Travel Maps

Mon 19 Jun 2023, 03:34

Is it possible to buy extra copies of the Poland map?
It is so beautiful and I can't bear the thought of my players screwing it all up!!!

Oddball_E8

Re: Extra Travel Maps

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 10:35

Sadly, not through their shop.

However, you can freely download the maps as a PDF from their download site here: https://freeleaguepublishing.com/en/gam ... ?downloads

And then you can just go to a good printing store and get it printed in the wanted format and take it from there.

creativehum
Topic Author

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 21:51

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought that might be a solution, but when I priced it out, it was almost as expensive as a second boxed set! (It's a big sheet of paper!)

I've divided the map into 9 letter-sized chunks, will print them individually, and then mount them on a board. Much less expensive! That's the best idea I've got!

Oddball_E8

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 22:32

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought that might be a solution, but when I priced it out, it was almost as expensive as a second boxed set! (It's a big sheet of paper!)

I've divided the map into 9 letter-sized chunks, will print them individually, and then mount them on a board. Much less expensive! That's the best idea I've got!
Also, you could feed the map to the players piece-meal... letting them uncover more and more of the country as they find new maps.

Might even be the center of a session, to find a map that they've heard about covering the next sector they're moving on to.

creativehum
Topic Author

Wed 21 Jun 2023, 01:03

Those are some good ideas!

For now I'm going to be given them a smaller map centered on Łódź* to mark up and focus on, along with the larger map for them to have a sense of the directions they can go for the bigger picture. As the move around I'll give them the smaller printouts to mark their travels and notes.

*I have decided to have the PCs based in Łódź as Operation Reset is underway. Łódź gets overrun, the PCs could head back to Kalisz, but then get the radio reports of Kalisz falling, the final order, and then radio silence.

Oddball_E8

Wed 21 Jun 2023, 08:50

Personally, I have resorted to google maps, because the 10x10km size of the hexes is too big for my tastes and the maps are not detailed enough when it comes to smaller roads etc.

But, if you buy the Foundry VTT module, you can connect your computer to your TV and show the map on there :)

ckosacranoid

Wed 21 Jun 2023, 19:50

The funny thing is that to reach a few towns on the map you have to travel off road by the way the map is laid out...Talk about screwing with getting anywhere in the game for trade...

Oddball_E8

Thu 22 Jun 2023, 07:52

Yeah, the game really just plots the main highways basically.

We're currently playing around Nora in my campaign and the players wanted to recon towards Örebro, and according to the map, there's one road that leads to Örebro.

But... looking at google maps, there's like three other roads that run parallel to that road straight down to Örebro.

So, naturally, my players chose the smaller roads.

paladin2019

Thu 22 Jun 2023, 09:05

The risk with google maps is the existence and/or quality of today's roads 2 decades ago...after ~3 years of war. I know my hometown changed quite a bit over my professional career.

Does that matter to your game? That's for you to decide.

Vcutter

Thu 22 Jun 2023, 10:53

The smaller roads (not on the map) count as off-road for a reason. Those that have ”navigated” backroads before the era of gps remember how easy it was to get lost, especislly without maps.
Add to this the changes that war makes to roads and yeah, it will not be as easy as following 4-8 lane partly ruined highway.

Winding backroads with twists and turns and craters and not clear roadsigns might be easy to follow on google earth but not so easy while driving there without a map.

I really like the FL approach here: all hexes have roads but the only the main ones that are easy to follow are marked.