Tibila2
Topic Author

Healing is a bit odd

Tue 06 Jun 2023, 17:44

When outside of combat, you character regain 1 health dialy. But if you get broken during combat and someone gets to apply first aid, you could pottencially get up with 3 health points. This seems a little awkward... I guess that there could be some form to rush the natural recovery or limit the amount of healing a first aid could recover during combat (max -1 for each critical injury, idk).

As for killing a broken character, someone already pointed this thing out: isn't there a rule for coup de grace? Seems silly to me that I'm trying to finish off a NPC and every time a shoot him (which requires a skill roll to see if I'm gonna hit... seriously?) I could only have his finger broken by the critical injury table roll... I'm talking about putting a bullet in his head, not torturing him... there should be a rule for this scenario, like failing an empathy check to finish off a downed character...

Nilo

Re: Healing is a bit odd

Tue 06 Jun 2023, 21:30

Getting three successes on a skill roll is really extreme and happens rarely. I guess the medic did a heroic act, getting the injured person back up again and ready. Lucky shot.

As for killing someone who is broken, it should be easier. I don't think the characters in the show do many Empathy checks - they just kill you Negan style.

Fenhorn

Tue 06 Jun 2023, 21:44

Other YZE-games sometimes have a 'coup de grace' rule but the roll you do there is just an attribute test to see if you are cold-blooded enough to kill someone that is defenseless, the act itself doesn't involve a skill roll. Here you can do the same. But instead of making an attribute roll, just let the player decide if his character is cold-blooded enough to do it and of course does it fit the narrative of the scene.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

EldritchGremlin

Wed 07 Jun 2023, 01:35

Page 70: Broken NPCS
"The GM may decide that an NPC who is Broken is killed immediately. This way, you have less bookkeeping to worry about, and the game becomes both faster and deadlier… but you could end up
missing out on stories where enemies you thought were eliminated come back to seek revenge."

You can decide to kill an NPC outright at 3 successes if you don't want them to potentially survive and provide a challenge later.

Fenhorn

Wed 07 Jun 2023, 05:23

Yup, for most NPCs, in this game as well as in other YZE-games that do have an outspoken 'coup de grace' rule, it is very simple, they are dead unless the GM thinks that they may be important to the story. But since 'coup de grace' was mention here, I added that it is used on defenseless people and that sort of things are roleplayed if it fits the narrative.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tibila2
Topic Author

Thu 08 Jun 2023, 03:24

On page 51 says that "Killing another human being in cold blood." Gives you stress. Maybe this empathy roll could be applied here to see if the PC suffers or not from this act.
As for coup de grace, when the target is a broken, defensless PC getting tagged by a hostile NPC, I think they should get a bullet in the head and that's it, no critical injury roll... for the sake of the narrative... I just think that this situation should be noted somewhere. After all, is a super deadly game. It is ok to die when the odds are almost 100% chance that you'll die...

Ash

Thu 08 Jun 2023, 12:49

The game, like the series, is deadly for supporting characters. But main characters can survive a lot of crazy situations.

Also, being broken doesn't mean you can't move or resist. Sure, you're in bad shape, and you are going to die if nobody helps you, but unless you're unconscious, you can still try to crawl, kick or block an attack. And it might give you enough time for someone to actually save your ass.

So if an NPC targets you while you are broken, it makes sens to roll for critical injury. You're too weak to avoid some damage, but you still have a chance. Like maybe you manage to kick the attacker off balance so the bullet hits you in the stomach and not in the head.

As a GM, you should always ask yourself if killing a PC will benefit the story. Maybe it isn't realistic, but who cares. It's a storytelling game, not a simulation.