TheMurderBurger
Topic Author

"Publishing" Homebrew content?

Wed 31 May 2023, 02:55

I've been working on a homebrew cinematic scenario, and would really love to be able to print it out for myself and to gift to friends that are into the game. I'm aware I could never and would never try to make a penny off selling homebrew content, but I am wondering what sort of guidelines are provided to stay within the confines of acceptable copyright / legal encroaching while still sharing as widely and "professionally" as I am able, since I have worked so hard to make something that closely mirrors the official content. I'm a huge fan and just don't want to overstep any boundaries, can anyone help me understand what sort of boundaries exist in this space? (Where hopefully someone can hear me scream?) ;)

Examples of guidelines I can't find but would be interested in:
Can homebrew content be printed for personal use? (eg: "publishing" the book so its professionally printed and bound)
Can printed content be given out to others as long as it is for free?
Can homebrew content be provided digitally/as pdf and made available to download for free? (obviously we see these are available out there, but what restrictions may have applied to those that I may not be aware of?)
Are there are protections against using the same/similar typeface / stylistic art design as official content?

Gebohq

Re: "Publishing" Homebrew content?

Wed 31 May 2023, 20:34

Disclaimer: I'm not part of Free League or Disney nor am I a lawyer, so I can only speak to personal experience and best guesses:

Q: Can homebrew content be printed for personal use? (eg: "publishing" the book so its professionally printed and bound)
A: If it's for your own personal use, I'd have difficulties imagining that being an issue. If it is, I'll be in the same boat.

Q: Can printed content be given out to others as long as it is for free?
A: The limitation I've been told is that it can only be distributed to the "Alien RPG community" (i.e. places like the official Facebook group, Discord, etc.) and not in the broader contexts such as DriveThruRPG. I'd imagine a printed version would follow those same guidelines -- your die-hard A:RPG friends can have it, but not distributing copies (even for free) to a bunch of strangers.

Q: Can homebrew content be provided digitally/as pdf and made available to download for free? (obviously we see these are available out there, but what restrictions may have applied to those that I may not be aware of?)
A: See above answer.

Q: Are there are protections against using the same/similar typeface / stylistic art design as official content?
A: I think this is generally a more concrete "yes there are protections" for things like this, mostly in using the ALIEN title. Basically, even if you have "UNOFFICIAL" plastered on the cover, if it still could be mistaken for an official product (i.e. using the branding/trademark/copyright/etc.), that's going to be problematic. I was requested to change my own cover for this exact reason.

I believe the spirit of what you need to be concerned about is "is there any room for ambiguity about it being an official product?" If so, it'll probably need to be altered. As someone who spent a lot of effort to make something as professional as I could as well for personal pride, I get your sentiment.

Best of luck!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 01 Jun 2023, 18:37

I agree 100% with Gebohq ...

I'm publishing FREE all my stuff and people know me for my style "in the same format" than the official products. And no one has ever contact me for anything.

here: https://www.deviantart.com/arthurdallas/gallery

I'm not publishing on sites like DriveThruRPG. I have great respect for FREE LEAGUE and theirs authors and I'm trying to complete their work on the different products they made.
I'm printing my stuff color for my players et people can print my stuff color (if they want) and use it in their games no problem with me.

Enjoy your games.

TheMurderBurger
Topic Author

Thu 01 Jun 2023, 20:34

Thank you both for the replies! Im actually familiar with both of you guys' work and aspiring to join your ranks. (Though I doubt with how long my single cinematic has taken me to get maybe 80% completion over 8 months if I will ever approach how prolific you both are.)

I appreciate the info! I'll likely just host the pdf of my adventure as a google doc and share the folder on reddit and in the official discord once complete, and it sounds like I won't have to worry too much about printing it at home to give to my friends.

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 01 Jun 2023, 23:15

Thanks so much and Hope to read your stuff soon ...

I'm gonna give you the link for reddit (you probably know it), you can read my own act-cinematic sequel to Hope's Last Day called LV-426's Processor 9 here : viewtopic.php?t=10841
I didn't make a PDF but posted 16 images instead.

Enjoy your games buddy.

Gebohq

Fri 02 Jun 2023, 02:51

Thank you both for the replies! Im actually familiar with both of you guys' work and aspiring to join your ranks. (Though I doubt with how long my single cinematic has taken me to get maybe 80% completion over 8 months if I will ever approach how prolific you both are.)

I appreciate the info! I'll likely just host the pdf of my adventure as a google doc and share the folder on reddit and in the official discord once complete, and it sounds like I won't have to worry too much about printing it at home to give to my friends.
I would not define myself as 'prolific' hah! I started parts of my one cinematic probably at least 2 years before its completion, and the one I'm working on now I started not long after the first one completed. That's just to say I too am slow. XD I suppose technically I did the occasional homebrewed item or monster or such here or there, though when I think prolific, I think of InHarmsWay material back in the day. :)

Anyway, best of luck on your own stuff!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net