Mr Oldtimer

Re: Vehicle armor

Sun 04 Jun 2023, 01:11

You could always rule that a weapon with a base damage X points lower than the armor value of a vehicle would be incapable of penetrating the vehicle. Set X so that ”big Guns” would be nessesary.

Ferretz
Topic Author

Sun 04 Jun 2023, 09:10

You could always rule that a weapon with a base damage X points lower than the armor value of a vehicle would be incapable of penetrating the vehicle. Set X so that ”big Guns” would be nessesary.
Yes, this is actually one of the ideas I'm also considering. :)

aramis

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 07:13

Found an interesting tidbit in Colonial Operations, page 97....
The BP-33 Railgun does 15 to vehicles, 5 to ships...

The ease of a fireteam taking out a Krokodil in my run of DoW was just a bit too nasty for the Krokodile; In future, I think I'll use a similar 3:1 between personal and vehicle. But only for area effect...
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Tupper

Sat 02 Dec 2023, 20:45

I think a tidy fix here could be the following house rule:

To damage a vehicle, you must use a weapon that has damage greater than or equal to the vehicle's armour. In this calculation, apply armour piercing/doubling to the armour as normal.

This means that:
  • A civilian vehicle with armour 2 is impervious to pistols, knives, and sharp sticks.
  • A lightly armoured vehicle with armour 5 is immune to assault rifles (even with armour piercing), but not smart guns.
  • Armour 7-8 (dropship or APC) takes smart guns (and chainguns, for that matter) off the table, but RPGs still work (as do sentry guns).
  • Once you hit armour 12 (heavy tank), the RPG doesn't cut it any more, and you'd need a portable energy weapon at short range (or a heavier vehicle weapon like a phased plasma pulse cannon).

Rolando

Sun 03 Dec 2023, 19:51

you can take a page from Twilight 2000 too.

Armor 2 above base weapon damage ignore the weapon completely. But armor piercing is a straight -1 or -2 to armor instead of 1/2 armor.

weapon damages and vehicle armor are similar between Alien and T2K.