FatherJ_ct

Re: Thoughts about Medical Aid.

Wed 07 Jun 2023, 06:56

Hit her with -1 because no equipment, -1 for sheer difficulty of the wound in question and another -1 for conditions that are not hygienic unless she sacrifices alcohol/doctors kit use.
-3 will turn her magic hands into C/C and that might make her reconsider use of resources.
Lethality level modifier for "difficulty" of treating crits...lethal in round -3, lethal in stretch -2, Lethal in shift -1. and non-lethals are straight up. But then the RAW are about dropping the lethality level for each successive treatment/recovery. So perhaps adding a lethality/complexity modifier is just for the situations of going at it with no tools...like lethal in a round "femoral artery" using just fingers (Black hawk down? https://youtu.be/diDL7M133jg?t=152 )

fougerec

Sun 02 Jul 2023, 00:33

I use the general rule from Star Trek Adventures in regards to gear. I assume that the PCs are using the gear and apply a penalty if they specifically don't (or can't). Using it for the bonus means going all in, risking the gear or depleting a limited item.

No sense making the game more complicated than it needs to be (unless complexity is your jam).

Heffe

Thu 06 Jul 2023, 22:57

This feels a bit anticipatory.

I understand the pain point - both the player and the Ref not having skill in medicine and yet making calls regarding whether or not medical tools are required to perform a given medical task. But HAS the player tried to perform brain surgery in a swamp with naught but sticks? It doesn't sound like it. It sounds as though the player asked if they could treat a critical arm injury without medical equipment, which should just be a Ref call. As a rhetorical question/thought exercise, if you're wrong and the players don't call you out for being wrong because they also don't have the necessary level of medical knowledge, then does it ultimately matter?

I agree that this should probably just be resolved by the Ref making a call regarding whether or not an action can be undertaken with the equipment supplies at hand in a narrative sense, and if it can't or if the players don't have the required equipment, then a penalty modifier should probably be applied. If a given action/roll is causing that much consternation, then perhaps some research can be done prior to the next session in order to make a more informed call.

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Fri 07 Jul 2023, 19:18

This feels a bit anticipatory.

I understand the pain point - both the player and the Ref not having skill in medicine and yet making calls regarding whether or not medical tools are required to perform a given medical task. But HAS the player tried to perform brain surgery in a swamp with naught but sticks? It doesn't sound like it. It sounds as though the player asked if they could treat a critical arm injury without medical equipment, which should just be a Ref call. As a rhetorical question/thought exercise, if you're wrong and the players don't call you out for being wrong because they also don't have the necessary level of medical knowledge, then does it ultimately matter?

I agree that this should probably just be resolved by the Ref making a call regarding whether or not an action can be undertaken with the equipment supplies at hand in a narrative sense, and if it can't or if the players don't have the required equipment, then a penalty modifier should probably be applied. If a given action/roll is causing that much consternation, then perhaps some research can be done prior to the next session in order to make a more informed call.
Well, in the end my ruling was that "yes, you have to use a medical kit to fix a critical injury on an arm from gunfire".

And I've decided that if you're gonna use your medical skill for injuries, you need to use a medkit, or you'll get a negative modifier.

Because if the players don't, you take away another layer of scarcity for the game.
"Oh you don't have any medkits?"
"That's ok, because you still have a 96% chance to fix *any* critical injury according to RAW."

So no, in my game, you have to use medkits or other medical equipment.

Keep in mind that there is more medical equipment than just single-use medkits, and these become more important now.

Since I'm using an expanded loot list, I also had the opportunity to add different types of trauma kits that can be used more than once as well as plenty of other medical equipment.

So, now my players have started actively looking for medical equipment for future use.

(Before that, some of them were even discussing trading away medkits since they were "useless" due to the medic(s) having an almost 100% chance of fixing pretty much any injury without any medical equpment.)

This is a *very* rules-light game and I feel that some house-ruling is needed on occasion to stop players from just ignoring certain equipment and difficulties.

Heffe

Fri 07 Jul 2023, 22:51

That makes a lot of sense, and feels like the right call to me.

Maybe if the players want to treat something without medical equipment while not taking a negative modifier, have your players first describe what they're doing that would provide a narrative reason for why they're able to treat a given injury without medical equipment. Such as diagnosing a given disease or radiation poisoning or something to that effect. That would put the onus on the players to validate the roll instead of having it always be up to the Ref.

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Sat 08 Jul 2023, 05:09

I always give a bonus if my players narrate well.

Argon3

Sat 26 Aug 2023, 16:39

i like all the different reply's. Basically, it comes down to its a game and what can you do to make it fun/fair for the players.