leandro1010
Topic Author

Re: Anyone else is dissapointed with TWD RPG?

Wed 17 May 2023, 12:59

Absolutely not a scam in any way. And if the game is not what you expected, we can absolutely get you a refund - just reach out to support@frialigan.se and we'll take care of it.
I'm sure it can be frustrating reading the feedback we've been putting out, but moving so quick to offer the refunds feels like we aren't being heard. I won't speak for the others but I am a major fan of Free League, and love everything you put out. I especially love the stuff you directly worked on, Tomas, like Forbidden Lands, T2K, and Alien. The books that I just got from the last Forbidden Lands KS are *chef's kiss* amazing. Please seriously consider our criticisms. I'm starting to see repeated words in responses like "Bloated page count" and "compact layout" as if it explains away the criticisms. It does not. Your company has put out masterpiece after masterpiece, please just make sure that Walking Dead get its opportunity to be another masterpiece. Thank you for everything you do.
Oh, we're absolutely listening to the feedback. My comment about the refund was directed to the comment that you can't get refunds on Kickstarters. That's just wrong - you absolutely can.
I wrote about that post.Kickstarter is crystal clear that you cannot get a refund after pledge is close (https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/a ... the%20ride.) so it never occured to me to write to Fria's support because on that aspect there was nothing wrong. You buy a pledge, and it might not be what you expected, it happens, is just that I expected a different thing.
I bought all of Alien RPG books, LOTR books and expansions and Blade Runner and I was amazed on how FL nailed the feeling of the IP. We were scared the sh... out on Alien and laughed a lot with the beginning adventures of LOTR, even kidnapped Firecracker and ask for ransom on another adventure. So when I heard about this, bought it at the very beginning. Put a lot faith so to speak, but when I received the PDF I was really sad :/ and wrote down how I feel and what I dislike, and turns out that some people feel the same and came with ideas. In that way, it's a positive thing, people are trying to give feedback because we know FL reads comments.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably pass on future TWD products, but I'll definitely look for other franchises expansion (We'll love predator for Alien RPG :D) and already waiting for Building better worlds.

Ryach

Wed 17 May 2023, 15:18

I know that KS products cannot be refunded, and at some point, I can sell the RPG to someone else. But I fell completely dumb on paying Special Editin price for a rule book when is actually just a hard cover notebook. THAT is a scam.
Absolutely not a scam in any way. And if the game is not what you expected, we can absolutely get you a refund - just reach out to support@frialigan.se and we'll take care of it.
That is great news. Really good to hear. I requested a cancellation of my pledge via email!
Unfortunately, from now, I'll pass on all future TWD products, but I'll definitely look for other franchises' expansion if they keep up with expectations and early releases (Alien RPG)

lordjeb

Wed 17 May 2023, 20:24

I can assure you that we are listening, and we are taking your comments to heart. I can also assure you that most of what has been discussed here has also been discussed at length during the whole design and playtesting process. What you see in the Beta is the outcome of such discussions - it is how we respond to the question that's been guiding us all along: "what is needed for gaming groups to be able to tell their stories in The Walking Dead Universe," reminiscing of the stories we know and love from the TV shows.
We will now let your comments, big and small, fuel our continued work on getting the Core Book ready for print. However, I hope you and others accept that we reserve the right to decide what actions need to be taken. Some of you will probably not agree with our decisions, which is sad but virtually unavoidable. And, like Tomas said, for you who end up feeling cheated or disappointed, there is always the option to ask for a refund - nothing strange about that!
First of all, I want to say that the response from FL in this is awesome. Not every game is for everyone, and allowing the option of refunds for people who feel badly is classy!

I would love to see a small writeup (few sentences to a few paragraphs) of the design philosophy behind the game, or in some other form. Maybe some of the outcomes of your mentioned discussions. Helping us understand WHY maybe there is more of this and less of that. I think maybe there is a disconnect between the kind of game you envision and some people's expectations that this might help?

Oddball_E8

Wed 17 May 2023, 20:54

So far I've only skimmed through it, but what I feel is really missing is... Lore.

It really sets up a requirement to have watched the show(s) to play the game.

And not just as a GM, but as a player too... unless the GM is the main lore giver, but that would require quite a bit of lore dump at the start of a campaign. (You know... unless *all* the players wake up like Rick at the start of the campaign)

Sebastian

Thu 18 May 2023, 13:42

I must say, I‘m really happy with TWD RPG. To be honest, I‘m one of those GMs, who have like tons of RPG material at home (playing for 30 years) and finally realised: I don’t need all that stuff to actually play.

Being said that, I like to have Core books, that are not 250+ pages melee weapons. I mean, I get why people might be disappointed. There are RPGs out there, that spell out like everything for the GM. But with TWD I honestly don’t want to play „the lore“. And I don’t want to read 100+ pages about things in the TV-Show. I want to do my own thing and that I can do very easily with what I got.

Pelhle

Thu 18 May 2023, 13:53

I think the lore (not much lore in the series) is well covered. More or less: virus, everyone’s infected, the world went down the drain, factions of people try to survive.

Regarding explaining the design idea. It has been explained on several occasions. Light on rules. Focus on the narrative. I have read 80 pages and skimmed the rest, and the result is what I expected. Very pleased. So I’ll upgrade from ’PDF only’ to physical products when the pledge manager opens.

Sebastian

Thu 18 May 2023, 13:56

I think what people referring to as lore, is spelling out all the factions, locations and people of the series. Which is a lot. Personally I have zero interest to read all that. I want to create a little community in the middle of nowhere snd go along from there.

Corwyn_kop

Thu 18 May 2023, 15:48

My dream Walking Dead rpg would have been a reskin of Twilight 2k with zombies added. It was pretty obvious from early on in the kickstarter that was not going to be the case. As is, I think the rules seem to do a good job of simulating an episode of The Walking Dead. I don't really have any experience with the rules light end of the spectrum so I do want to try them out "as written". If nothing else, I am absolutely going to scavenge them for my T2K reskin if I ever get around to it.

Alphadork

Thu 18 May 2023, 16:40

Reiterating what I initially posted with a bit more detail

TWD is certainly playable as is but falls short of Free Leagues usual gold standard for RPGs in a couple of areas

Havens - compare the TWD rules for upgrades and projects to Headquarters options in Vaesen (another rules light game) and they simply aren't as in depth, some simple resource gathering, skill requirements for some upgrades among NPCs and ideas for Issues tied to the various improvements would provide a great resource for players and GMs

Atlanta Campaign Setting - compare these story hooks and threads to the scenario sites presented in Twilight 2000 or Forbidden Lands and TWD feels lacking. Free League excels at providing sandbox options for people to explore and riff ideas from. This makes it feel that the same "designer engagement" I see for the default setting in other Free League games just doesn't exist for TWD

Can I fix these issues on my own by borrowing from other games? Sure, but I shouldn't have to and for a number of people TWD will be their first RPG experience and they can't draw on the same skill set us veterans possess

Oddball_E8

Thu 18 May 2023, 20:26

I think what people referring to as lore, is spelling out all the factions, locations and people of the series. Which is a lot. Personally I have zero interest to read all that. I want to create a little community in the middle of nowhere snd go along from there.
For me, that's exactly what's missing.

Hell, I was planning on setting the game in Sweden, so I really don't need all that stuff...

But, then again, this *is* a TWD game that's made in close association with the show itself. So it *should* have more show-related lore like the factions, locations and stuff like that. Because a lot of people will be buying this because of the setting, not because of "RPG with zombies".

Hell, I was planning on doing a T2K zombie setting before this was announced (and after reading the rules a bit more, I just still might), so I'm not personally bothered by the lack of lore, but I do think it's disappointing to see so little world building in a product this closely tied to an IP like this.
It's like having the Alien game but with almost zero world building other than "hey, there's monsters out there".
It would be pretty disappointing.