Micaelian

Re: TWDU RPG Beta Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 5 Combat and Healing

Mon 22 May 2023, 22:09

Page 75: On the General Gear table, Lockpicks are listed as having a bonus of Tech +2. However, on page 55, picking locks is described as pertaining to the Stealth skill.

Ardrikk

Tue 23 May 2023, 00:44

• P.85, Desperate escape, „A lone PC who is surrounded by walkers may try to postpone death by finding a place to hide, like inside an abandoned tank or on top of a big rock.“ Please change big rock to dumpster!
Or “under a dumpster.” LOL

Cinaen

Tue 23 May 2023, 05:44

• P.85, Desperate escape, „A lone PC who is surrounded by walkers may try to postpone death by finding a place to hide, like inside an abandoned tank or on top of a big rock.“ Please change big rock to dumpster!
Or “under a dumpster.” LOL
I'd rather climb on top of big rock where walkers cannot reach me than a dumpster

Pelhle

Tue 23 May 2023, 06:01

P. 78 Ramming
It said that "...Roll this many dice to see how much damage your vehicle takes, plus one..."
But in the table next to every thing gives different amounts of damage (soft material 1, wooden house 3...)
Crash Dice are the number of dice rolled to see how much damage your vehicle takes. Add +1 to that.
Damage is how much damage the object you hit can take before it breaks.

tickbite

Tue 23 May 2023, 10:19

I have a more general problem that is maybe only relevant to new players. It is the most present in Chapters 5 and 6, but could probably be solved with an extra paragraph. As a new RPG player I can't really wrap my head around the passage of time, both within the story of the game and as part of the gameplay/session. There's a ton of comments about how something takes time – a project of a month, recovery from an amputation, scavenging for a day etc. While I now understand that it's up to GM to manipulate the passage of time within the story, I still wonder what the point is for some of the more specific details in the core book, especially those where a D6 decides how much time passes. This becomes pretty clear in the distinction between Broken and Critically injured (pages 69-71) – If I manipulate time anyway, rolling a die that determines someone is broken for 4 as opposed to 1 minute makes no difference, right? I choose what 1 or 4 minutes looks like in game time. Here's the specific example from the book:

• p.69, FIRST AID, "If there is no one to give you first aid, or if they fail their skill roll, you are Broken for D6 minutes. The GM makes the roll in secret. After the allotted time has passed you are no longer Broken and heal one Health point, but you are still critically injured."
  • p.70, RECOVERY TIME, "The GM rolls a die for recovery time secretly – you won’t know how long it takes. The table states if recovery time is in hours, days, or weeks. When the recovery time has passed, the penalty is removed."
  • Then, in the gameplay example on the same page: "GM: You hear Tony shouting to Michelle, “Did we get her?” As no one can give you first aid, you must wait some minutes before you stop being Broken [secretly rolls a 1 – Hannah will be Broken for one minute]. When you can start doing things again, you have a –2 penalty on all rolls."

Are all those lists and die rolls really just for thematic reasons? I love the concept of having only an hour before I die, but needing months to recover if I survive. I just find it tricky to put that in perspective with something like being Broken for just a couple of minutes. I kind of just wish to get a bit of advice how to deal with it in the game. Chapter 7 (Running the game) sounds like a great place for that.

percinator

Fri 26 May 2023, 19:13

Page 65 Multiple Combatants
I feel like when it comes to fighting two or more people using Close Combat an exception should be made for Defenseless Target since if you are aware and able to defend yourself you aren't a defenseless target. In this case you should have the option to divide your dicepool between opposing attackers. Obviously if a second attacker sneaks up on you then you're Defenseless to them but having you split your pool makes you weaker when ganged up on while still giving you the ability, with enough Close Combat and bonuses, to potentially fight off two people. I've used this house rule already in my playtesting and my group loved it compared to the standard rules. We kept the normal rules for Ranged Combat since that made sense but in close combat you're more able to deal with multiple people at once. This is also a double edge sword since I allowed enemy combatants to do the same, meaning when they fight someone with good close combat that is armed they need to make the odds 1v2 if not 1v3 to really guarantee damage.

Page 73 under Explosions
The molotov's reach of 25 meters due to how ranges are calculated is excessive, also there is no mention I can find for them inflicting fire damage onto a target, just explosive. I think a fix is to say that an attack with Blast Power damage can target a number of characters equal to either BP/2 or BP/3 targets.

Page 73-74 for the sections Fire, Poison, Disease and Falling
Because Falling is listed with the rider "Armor does not protect you." This is missing from the Fire, Poison and Disease sections so by RAW (read as written) armor gives you damage protection against diseases you've already contracted, poison already in your system and currently being on fire.

Page 76 Close Combat Weapons
Why does a Stick give a higher skill bonus than an axe, sword or any other melee weapon? A stick is the middle ground between an improvised weapon and baseball bat if anything.

Page 76 Ranged Weapons
Grenade Launcher should be "Rocket Launcher" to match the naming convention on page 73 "Explosive Weapons
The Mortar is also totally absent from the Range Weapons table and instead the BP 12 weapon is the Battle Tank Cannon.

Page 78 Crash Objects
The term 'Damage' on this is different than every other instance of Damage in the charts for this section. It should be renamed to something like 'Plow Through' since it's actually representing the 'health/hull' of these objects required to drive through through them.

Page 84 Swarm Threat and Losing to the Dead
I fully understand that Swarm Threat is Swarm Size + Threat Level but reading through this forum and even talking with my players the term Swarm Threat Level is confusing since it's causing wires to cross with regular Threat Level. I'd say just to be safe never use the term 'Swarm Threat Level' and just keep it to 'Swarm Threat'.
So for Losing to the Dead you should change "If you get fewer successes than the Swarm Threat level." to just "If you get fewer successes than the Swarm Threat."

doc-t

Sat 27 May 2023, 17:09

Print page 84, "The person who is cutting off a piece of you must make a Medicine roll. Both of you take one point of stress." Based on the sequence of sentences I would have the points of stress added only after the roll has been made, meaning the stress would not affect the roll. I suggest to swap the sentences, so that adding stress comes before making the Medicine roll.

9littlebees

Wed 31 May 2023, 06:20

Page 85: Clearing out an area

"Should you fail to clear out the swarm on the first round, the Threat Level goes up, either to 3 if you are shooting at them, or to 5 if you fight them in close combat."

Should this be the other way around - 3 with close combat and 5 if shooting?
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Tibila2

Tue 06 Jun 2023, 17:37

"Should you fail to clear out the swarm on the first round, the Threat Level goes up, either to 3 if you are shooting at them, or to 5 if you fight them in close combat."

I think the sentence is correct. If u fail to clear in melee, the walker will be already realt close to you, so threat 5. As for ranged, they just get to you because of the noise, but you are still distant.

_____

On veichles, why a bicycle has +3 MANEUVERABILITY and a car has +2? This means that a bicycle is potentially faster than a car in a chase situation...

Pelhle

Sun 11 Jun 2023, 10:15

I think the sentence is correct. If u fail to clear in melee, the walker will be already realt close to you, so threat 5. As for ranged, they just get to you because of the noise, but you are still distant.

_____

On veichles, why a bicycle has +3 MANEUVERABILITY and a car has +2? This means that a bicycle is potentially faster than a car in a chase situation...
Regarding bicycles: guess that is because you can drive into small paths, around obstacles etc