lenardg

Re: TWDU RPG Beta Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 5 Combat and Healing

Tue 16 May 2023, 18:01

Page 65, AVOIDING ATTACKS

This section is a bit vague on how avoiding actually works. It specifies I can do an opposed roll. But if the opponent hits, I assume you are damaged as normal (I assume, because it is not explained), and if you get more successes then you get to choose: get cover or reduce/increase distance.

But what if same amount of successes is achieved? You cannot get hit and get into cover at the same time.

Also, what happens with successes that are in excess? Are they lost? Can they be used somehow?

lenardg

Tue 16 May 2023, 18:06

Page 65: DEFENSELESS TARGET

This section could explore what happens if the target is unaware of the attack - or reversed, how to make a stealth attack or ambush. From playing many role playing games before I as a GM could make the unaware party throw SCOUT and the hiding one throwing STEALTH or something similar. And if the stalker succeeds, he can attack using the defenseless target rules. There are some vague ambush rules later in encounters, but I miss them from the combat section.

Staying on top of buildings hidden and observing the enemy as they come to raid your haven or just simply both parties loot the same shopping center and one wants to ambush the other feels very much like something from a TWD game

Pelhle

Tue 16 May 2023, 18:49

Page 65: Defenseless Target.
I think it’s mentally difficult to kill a, lets say, a bound enemy. Maybe that is more like a ”final blow” rule. Other FL games solve that elegantelly with the need to fail an Empathy roll. Kind of miss that rule in this game, since this kind of situation oughta be rather common.

lenardg

Tue 16 May 2023, 19:33

Page 66, BRAWL PHASES

Had to read the entire BRAWLS section and the examples multiple times to understand, that you get 1 action, and you can decide in which phase you use that one action.

I think this could be clarified in this sub-section, the BRAWL PHASES sub-section.

Rereading it now makes perfect sense, but I think this could use some clarification, or maybe an extended example, where there are multiple phases coming after one another, and one players acts in one phase and the other in another phase.

lenardg

Tue 16 May 2023, 19:40

Page 76, RANGED WEAPONS

The table contains BP in the damage column for 4 weapons. Yet, the abbreviation BP is not used ANYWHERE else in the entire PDF.

This probably means BLAST POWER from the EXPLOSIONS section, but that section never mentions it will be abbreviated as BP, nor does the GEAR section mention that some weapons have blast power. Yes, the EXPLOSTIONS sections mentions _some_ of the same weapons, but I think this could be explained better.

Pelhle

Tue 16 May 2023, 19:53

Page 76, RANGED WEAPONS

The table contains BP in the damage column for 4 weapons. Yet, the abbreviation BP is not used ANYWHERE else in the entire PDF.

This probably means BLAST POWER from the EXPLOSIONS section, but that section never mentions it will be abbreviated as BP, nor does the GEAR section mention that some weapons have blast power. Yes, the EXPLOSTIONS sections mentions _some_ of the same weapons, but I think this could be explained better.
Agree. A ”(…) blast power (BP) (…)” on the Explosions page, would do 50 % of the unvague trick.

lenardg

Tue 16 May 2023, 20:58

Page 77: Vehicles

I find this a very mixed section with difficult to decipher rules.

Let's start with armor, which says: "is the number of dice you roll when the vehicle sustains damage. Each success decreases the damage by one."

Does this apply in combat? Or in crashes as well? I would assume this does not protected the passengers, because later it is said passengers are considered to be behind cover. There is no example on how to use the armor rating of vehicles, so I am a bit at a loss here.

Then ramming says at the end to roll for car's armor, but the example on page 79 does not roll for armor, just damages the motorbike. So my confusion continues. This example is pretty vague on what gets rolled and why, and would be great to add such info here. What is the 1 damage to the bike and where does that come from?

And then we get to crash objects, which table on page 78 has a DAMAGE column, which is vaguely referenced in ... another table on the next page. It was difficult to find IMHO.

I am sorry to say this, but for a game that wants us to concentrate on the drama it sure takes a lot of time deciphering all the tables and cross reference them :-(

rpgweb

Tue 16 May 2023, 21:02

I do not see the "Coup de grace" rule for a broken character in chapter 5.
Without this rule, a character is almost unkillable, we have to roll again and again on the critic table, expecting a 63+
Is this an omission....or is it on purpose?

lenardg

Tue 16 May 2023, 21:14

Page 82: AVOIDING WALKERS

There is a section for Disguising as the dead. While we are on the avoiding topic, I think this would have been the place to mention the method Michonne used by cutting of arms and jaw/teeth of walkers. I did not seem to find any reference to the Michonne method of avoiding walkers in other places of the book either. And besides, this section is where I would expect to read about it.

doc-t

Wed 17 May 2023, 17:14

Page 65, AVOIDING ATTACKS

This section is a bit vague on how avoiding actually works. It specifies I can do an opposed roll. But if the opponent hits, I assume you are damaged as normal (I assume, because it is not explained), and if you get more successes then you get to choose: get cover or reduce/increase distance.

But what if same amount of successes is achieved? You cannot get hit and get into cover at the same time.

Also, what happens with successes that are in excess? Are they lost? Can they be used somehow?
I feel the same, AVOIDING ATTACKS needs clarification.

In addition, it is unclear, how AVOIDING ATTACKS fits into the BRAWL Action sequence. Is it an "Other" Brawl Action and triggered only, when actually attacked? What if attacked multiple times, does it trigger once, and only for when the PC wants it, or does it trigger only on the first attack or on all attacks - if it is triggered multiple times, is the additional TAKE COVER or MOVEMENT action also triggered several times? What, if not attacked at all, is the action lost or can the player freely choose between retroactive TAKING COVER or MOVEMENT? If the latter, and an NPC chose OVERWATCH, does that still trigger, despite not being in the MOVEMENT phase anymore? If it triggers NPC's OVERWATCH, does only MOVEMENT or also TAKING COVER trigger?

So many questions regarding AVOIDING ATTACKS... despite being a game focussing on relationships, the combat rules do need (more) clarity!