Rawhead
Topic Author

Monsters and Free Attacks (and Swarms)

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 01:12

So if a player starts next to a Monster and moves away, if they fail an Evade skill roll they prompt a free attack which can't be parried or dodged. So the GM would roll on the Monster attack table, and that attack will automatically hit. So is the message - don't turn your back on a monster ? Or am i missing something ?

As a follow up, in my heart of hearts i don't think swarms should either trigger or benefit from free attacks - is it just me ?

Cheers

Fenhorn

Re: Monsters and Free Attacks (and Swarms)

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 08:48

You shouldn't turn your back on anyone and the skill evade is useful yes, but also remember that when someone attacks you and you parry or dodges, you get to do some bonus movement that can be used to retreat from the monster without any skill roll. Also this free attack because you failed the evade check, is a melee attack so pick or randomize one of the normal melee attacks for the monster.

When it comes to swarms, they don't block the area its in, so yes I agree that they just because of that don't cause free attacks because of movement where they are..
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Rawhead
Topic Author

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 11:48

this free attack because you failed the evade check, is a melee attack so pick or randomize one of the normal melee attacks for the monster
So rather than roll a d6 for what potentially could end up an AoE, pick a more relevant attack that targets just the individual with as near a conventional strike as possible - good shout, that sounds cool :)

Raven

Thu 06 Apr 2023, 09:35

If a character wants to leave a monster's attack range, they probably have good reasons for doing so. An automatic hit by the monster will probably eliminate the character from the game. I don't find that particularly exciting.
There would also be an option to keep the character within range of the monster if he fails his evade check. So the character tried to escape but couldn't. I'm thinking, for example, of a dragon's tail being swung into the escape route, or a giant club dashing down in front of the character and preventing him from escaping.
This creates more drama and suspense.
It would also be easier and less random in my opinion than the melee attack solution

Bonzzo15

Tue 25 Apr 2023, 21:58

If a character wants to leave a monster's attack range, they probably have good reasons for doing so. An automatic hit by the monster will probably eliminate the character from the game. I don't find that particularly exciting.
There would also be an option to keep the character within range of the monster if he fails his evade check. So the character tried to escape but couldn't. I'm thinking, for example, of a dragon's tail being swung into the escape route, or a giant club dashing down in front of the character and preventing him from escaping.
This creates more drama and suspense.
It would also be easier and less random in my opinion than the melee attack solution
This goes straight into my House rules-document haha