DarrenH
Topic Author

Kill monsters and take their stuff

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 18:29

This is tangent to the discussion of misdeeds and shadow points. How does the Treasure Hunter calling fit in a Middle Earth campaign?

Amassing a personal fortune by looting dungeons is a staple of D&D-type games. I can see the players defaulting to this tradition in Middle Earth as well. I don't think this is what is intended by the Treasure Hunter calling. But I'm not completely sure what is meant by it. The Dragon Sickness path shows the negative impact of pursuing only selfish greed. What is the positive path? How does a heroic character fight the Shadow as a Treasure Hunter?

Some thoughts so far:

An obvious way would be to use wealth to aid those harmed by evil or assist those who are fighting it.

If possible, you can restore treasures to their rightful owners. Setting past evils right.

On a deeper level, one of Tolkien's themes I appreciate is the idea of what has been lost. The beauty and glory of past ages, now faded or gone altogether. So maybe a Treasure Hunter risks great danger to recover small pieces of that departed heritage. And thereby strengthen the collective will of the free peoples to resist the shadow.

I don't know. All these things would be preachy and insufferable if you tried to force them on the players. In the end, it's up to them, but I want a clear idea in my own mind.

Darklander

Re: Kill monsters and take their stuff

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 20:20

Maybe some kind of Indiana Jones, who seeks for lost treasures around the world, but not to increase his own wealth but to store it in a museum for everyone to marvel at.

Sebastian

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 14:45

A lot of Dwarves might be Treasure Hunters, seeking old heirlooms. Bardings fit in the same idea. Even Elves could look for their ancient sites. It hasn’t to be about killing monsters and take their stuff.

DarrenH
Topic Author

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 18:15

A lot of Dwarves might be Treasure Hunters, seeking old heirlooms. Bardings fit in the same idea. Even Elves could look for their ancient sites. It hasn’t to be about killing monsters and take their stuff.

Yes. Thorin and Co. wanted the gold for sure, but they wanted something else too. Reclaim their home, find the Arkenstone, and restore the kingdom under the mountain that had been destroyed by evil. A group of PCs would probably have smaller goals, but the same spirit could be present. I like it a lot.