Thrag
Topic Author

Scout vs. Infiltrator specialties

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 17:09

How would you describe the difference between the Infiltrator and Scout specialities (for RECON)? They are very similar, but I can see how they MIGHT be used in different situations.

Consider this: If a PC/party approaches an encounter with another group, I would ask the PC 'keeping watch' to do a Recon (Scout) check (passive*). If one or more PCs want to sneak up on the opposing group, I would get them to do a Recon (Infiltrator) check (with the PC with the lowest Recon skill rolling) -- I am treating this situation like an ambush. In addition, these PCs could use Recon (Intelligence) to find out something about the enemy stats. This seem like a LOT of Recon rolls, which is contrary to the "Don't roll to often" suggestion (p.45 Player's Manual). What do you think of this?

Finally, there are the "Weather & Darkness" (p.160 PM) and "Ambushing" (p.143 PM) tables. When would you use these for the Recon checks above?

* A passive Recon roll, as explained in the "Keeping Watch" rules (p.143 PM)
"If I'm happy, I'm less abusive to the rest of you." -- Homer Simpson

Fenhorn

Re: Scout vs. Infiltrator specialties

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 17:25

Infiltration is used when you are sneaking around and avoid being detected and Scout is used when you try to detect people that are sneaking around. Other YZE-games use different skills for this, but T2K use the same skill.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Rolando

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 05:36

i think a GM may abstract this furter and treat the roll as the entire scene roll, or as an extended action.
Recon is used when the character is actively looking for something, even if part of it is sneaking and infiltrating to find more information about something.
Meanwhile Infiltrate may be used to spot sentries and hidden alarms, defectively recognizing the immediate area, as long as the intention is to get into something os inside a place or area.

As a GM I will treat specialties as concepts the character is good at, and they will have overlap, but then never stack the bonus.

paladin2019

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 07:45

Infiltration is used when you are sneaking around and avoid being detected and Scout is used when you try to detect people that are sneaking around. Other YZE-games use different skills for this, but T2K use the same skill.
"same skill." Homage to 1e.

Thrag
Topic Author

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 18:02

...but T2K use the same skill.
Thank your for your response! To clarify what you are saying (in above statement), T2K4 uses ONE 'skill' (Recon) that has two specialties. Is this what you meant?

Thrag
Topic Author

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 18:05

[/quote]"same skill." Homage to 1e.

FYI: at a local game convention, I am running a scenario for EACH of 1e and 4e! (I also plan to post my T2K4 scenario and resources here, but I will put that in another post)
Last edited by Thrag on Sun 26 Mar 2023, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

Thrag
Topic Author

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 18:17

i think a GM may abstract this furter and treat the roll as the entire scene roll, or as an extended action.

So is this a bit excessive? (This is from my scenario text)

Make a Recon (Scout) roll as the team approaches the town. The distance to the encounter can be found on the Terrain Types table (p.139 Player’s Manual), which can also be modified by light and visibility.

If one or more PCs want to sneak up on the group (for Ambush or gathering intelligence), the PC with the lowest Recon skill rolls for a Recon (Infiltrator) check. Remember to use the Weather & Darkness (p.60 Player’s Manual) and the Ambushing (p.60 Player’s Manual) tables for both these situations.

The town is overrun by marauders. With a successful Command (Tactician) or Recon (Intelligence) roll, a PC can determine that these NPCs are NOT normal villagers. Recon (Intelligence) will also inform the PCs of what weapons the marauders use; Command (Tactician) will inform the PCs of approximately how many marauders are in Hampetorp.

I thought I was reading each of these specialties correctly, as to what benefit they give the PC.

Recon is used when the character is actively looking for something, even if part of it is sneaking and infiltrating to find more information about something.
Meanwhile Infiltrate may be used to spot sentries and hidden alarms, defectively recognizing the immediate area, as long as the intention is to get into something os inside a place or area.

For clarity, Recon is a skill while Infiltrate is a specialty of Recon. Did you mean to say 'Scout' instead of Recon? Or are you saying that Infiltrate is a specific type of Recon (and then Scout would also be a specific type of Recon)?

As a GM I will treat specialties as concepts the character is good at, and they will have overlap, but then never stack the bonus.

No, I'm doing that part right! :)

Rolando

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 19:24

Yes, i meant the specialties.. I keep messing the names... too many RPGs in my head.

What I mean is that a GM may abstract it even more, if the situation is not dramatic enough to require multiple rolls of different specialties or if the player have one specialty and not the other it is a way to use what the character have in a descriptive and narrative way.

The rules allow for a lot of that.