Doktor
Topic Author

Custom famous weapon idea

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 00:09

What do you guys think about an exotic Haradwaith sword, the Serpent Scimitar, stats of a sword but with the ability to ignore parry bonus of the ennemy up to valour rating, and can add bonus to combat roll if eye of sauron equivalent to current shadow score, even if miserable, but then pass sorcery test vs 1 shadow gain?

Dunheved

Re: Custom famous weapon idea

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 10:04

It reminds me of the old Lakeman Scimitar reward, which simply removed the Parry rating of an adversary.
And lifting the effect of the sword to go along with PC Valour rating seems thematic. So that seems good.

But, having the other bonusses seems to make the weapon very powerful and quite complicated to operate.

So, if I understand this (sorry, I am being a bit thick here)

1. Removing the Parry rating of adversary to reveal/adjust the final TN - needed for a PC to decide if they wish to spend hope to get +1d for the attack
2. Compare EoS score and Player's own current Shadow score - if equal Roll Wisdom/ Corruption (Sorcery) and gain 1 Shadow to apply a bonus for the sword attack Q: would the value of this bonus be +1d or +(Valour) to attack roll? Q: If EoS is smaller, does that negate the bonus? Q: if the wisdom roll fails does this mean that there is NO Shadow gain and No bonus to the attack? If so it seems counter-intuitive to pass a Shadow test and GAIN shadow, while failing it adds no Shadow.
Just my first thoughts.

Doktor
Topic Author

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 13:10

Yeah I received other comments on discord and gearing towards something else. I'd be going for level1:rune scored and ignore parry rating of adversaries (no fidgetting with calculating TN), level 2: superiour grievous, and level3: can count eye of sauron as gandalf for 2 misdeed shadow points. How does that look? I was trying to make an alluring weapon to want to play on the edge of shadow, somewhat of a intuitivally mechanical curse.

Dunheved

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 23:47

These three qualities fit well. If using the weapon adds Shadow Points the PC, then this definitely fits the theme of a Curse.

A curse (Page 167) needs a path to overcome/remove the curse: and maybe you want to use a particular one of the six given Weaknesses to go with it (I would pick Murderous myself, but you can easily make cases for the others.)

Nice effort all round.