Doktor
Topic Author

Helping players to take more initiative with narration and open-ended style of the game

Fri 17 Mar 2023, 05:47

So I have some experienced players who react really well with the liberties the rules give them with the direction of the adventures. I also have players who seem lost in some way. I try to help them by bringing them back to the motivations of their character to go adventuring, I give them exemples on how they could tackle the most urgent obvious task before them and reminding them of their own chances brought by their own decisions about strenghts and weaknesses and how they can use these different skills to achieve cool things they would want to happen to their avatars, and yet, some of them just seem to be stuck in a dungeon crawler mindset-- 2 years of non-stop Gloomhaven playing will do that to you i guess...I'm all willing to give them more of that, but I still want to let them explore the theatre of the mind capabilities, and share the load of telling an interesting story as a group. Any experiences, thoughts you'd like to share?

TherorSilverhelm

Re: Helping players to take more initiative with narration and open-ended style of the game

Wed 22 Mar 2023, 18:29

I think something worth remembering in these situations, is that not every group is going to enjoy playing in the same way. Not only that but not every player in a group is going to enjoy playing games in the same way. It may be that the players who seem "lost", just aren't particularly interested in the open-ended style of play and prefer to have adventures/objectives provided for them to engage with. The main thing is that everyone is having fun interacting with the game.

That being said, there is also the possibility that the players aren't aware or used to this style of play. In which case my recommendation would be to continue providing opportunities and chances for them to explore/set their own goals etc.

Eventually it really boils down to talking with the players, and finding out what they want from the game.