Bonzzo15

Re: Feedback Thread - The Dragonbane Third-Party License

Sun 09 Apr 2023, 12:39

Will optional rules ok? For instance, hypothetically an alternate means of handling parry that leaves it to the GM and players to choose whether they use them or not

New schools of magic or additional skills?
Alternative rules are not allowed under the license, no, even if "optional".

New secondary skills, including magic schools, are totally fine. You cannot add or remove core skills.
Where do you draw the line for “alternative rules”? Because my house rule (and if allowed hopefully a project to put out on Drivethru) will allow knives for mages since they are actually part of the starter kit for that class, and then ADD reasons to why. As in “it’s made of a nonferrous metal and it doesn’t hamper casting”.

And further, adding what is practically an enchantment for mage weapons only, giving mages the ability to wield such weapons. Is that changing lore or adding, in the style of “mages can’t use metal, unless blabla”?

DicePuppets

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 06:52

Hello all, I have a question and hope Tomas could answer me.
I'm from germany, and I would love to publish a german Fanzine for DoD/DB including my own Setting, some Monsters, a new Kin and a new Magic School, also some new Items. But, it would be, at first, in german language. Now the license reads to me, that it is only for english publications, so I was wondering, how should we handle this?

I will, for sure, release the Zine in english as well, but this is a bit more work for translating all of that. But I wan't to make sure that I´m doing it properly and hope, it is okay to publish some german Stuff as well.

For clarification, I will use english Game Terms in the german Zine (i.e, Fear Checks) so the mechanics match the core rules.

It is just a little loveletter from a fan to the game, I would publish it on my itch.io for free with a "Pay what you want" option.

So, just to here to check if it is okay to do so.

Thanks in advance

Jocke aka DicePuppets

Yinkinuk

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 08:52

If I’m following this correctly you can only write scenarios / background set in the world of Misty Vale? However at present we only have very limited knowledge of that setting and it’s not yet a deep setting. In our recent game we used a city based on some maps I had which I set outside the Kommer Mountains and worked as a prequel to the DB Adventures. Would that be publishable?
If I were to use DB to create an ocean / sailing based game which was set amongst islands that “could be” in the Misty Vale world but could be used generically is that permissible? Would you be able to create ship rules for that? Would you be able to make your own Monsters?

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 15:47

If I’m following this correctly you can only write scenarios / background set in the world of Misty Vale? However at present we only have very limited knowledge of that setting and it’s not yet a deep setting. In our recent game we used a city based on some maps I had which I set outside the Kommer Mountains and worked as a prequel to the DB Adventures. Would that be publishable?
If I were to use DB to create an ocean / sailing based game which was set amongst islands that “could be” in the Misty Vale world but could be used generically is that permissible? Would you be able to create ship rules for that? Would you be able to make your own Monsters?
Hello!
Third-party adventures or setting books don't need to be set in the Misty Vale, no. In fact, most probably will not be. :)
You can write any setting you like for Dragobane. The only limitation is that you cannot change the core rules.
Fria Ligan

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 15:48

Hello all, I have a question and hope Tomas could answer me.
I'm from germany, and I would love to publish a german Fanzine for DoD/DB including my own Setting, some Monsters, a new Kin and a new Magic School, also some new Items. But, it would be, at first, in german language. Now the license reads to me, that it is only for english publications, so I was wondering, how should we handle this?

I will, for sure, release the Zine in english as well, but this is a bit more work for translating all of that. But I wan't to make sure that I´m doing it properly and hope, it is okay to publish some german Stuff as well.

For clarification, I will use english Game Terms in the german Zine (i.e, Fear Checks) so the mechanics match the core rules.

It is just a little loveletter from a fan to the game, I would publish it on my itch.io for free with a "Pay what you want" option.

So, just to here to check if it is okay to do so.

Thanks in advance

Jocke aka DicePuppets
Hi! At current, all publications under the third-party license need to be in English or Swedish, I'm afraid. We might add further languages later on.
Fria Ligan

DicePuppets

Thu 17 Aug 2023, 10:30

Hi! At current, all publications under the third-party license need to be in English or Swedish, I'm afraid. We might add further languages later on.
Hi Tomas and thanks for the clarification, so, as I understand it, I can make the Zine, but without license and logo/brand name as a Fanmade Homebrew stuff, am I right?

Theugen

Mon 28 Aug 2023, 23:28

Hi guys!
Now that Devir (Spanish publisher) has announced that it will publish Dragonbane, when will we have the terms of the license in Spanish? There is a large community eager to support the game by creating their own material!
Thanks in advance.

Chekmx

Tue 26 Sep 2023, 10:17

With regard to section 5 Exclusions if you produce a module and publish this in foundry VTT it will by default have free league trade dress applied if used with the foundry core set. Does this then break the terms of the license?

lattetown

Mon 15 Jan 2024, 18:56

Hello!

Please use this thread to report errors or feedback on the draft third-party license for Dragonbane. You can access the draft license text here. Please note that you cannot yet use this license to publish anything - this is just a draft for feedback.
Please report your feedback before February 28.

Thank you!
The link to the legal text is broken (404)!
https://freeleaguepublishing.com/wp-con ... -Draft.pdf

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Mon 15 Jan 2024, 20:45

Hello!

Please use this thread to report errors or feedback on the draft third-party license for Dragonbane. You can access the draft license text here. Please note that you cannot yet use this license to publish anything - this is just a draft for feedback.
Please report your feedback before February 28.

Thank you!
The link to the legal text is broken (404)!
https://freeleaguepublishing.com/wp-con ... -Draft.pdf
Yes, the URL changed when we updated the website. This thread is no longer active - it was for feedback on the draft license before the final license was published last spring. I'm unsticking and locking this thread now - for further discussions about the license, please start new threads instead. Thanks!
Fria Ligan