Vile Traveller

Re: Feedback Thread - The Dragonbane Third-Party License

Tue 14 Mar 2023, 01:42

Well, there are many, many things wrong with the BRP OGL that have nothing to do with cloning their games, but that has been discussed to death elsewhere and it has nothing to do with the Dragonbane licence, so I won't dwell on it here. ;)

If you were originally thinking of Dragonbane as the system, you could also try the FTL which is being discussed on another section of these forums.

By the way, I'm not sure the licence wouldn't cover a setting book as long as it requires the use of the Dragonbane rules, especially if it also contains adventures. The licence even allows the addition of rules, as long as they don't replace the core rules. So you could have new monsters, magic items, new spells... all the sorts of things adventure modules traditionally include. It would of course depend on how radically different your setting is from the Misty Vale, but I think the line between 'module' and 'gazetteer' in this case would be quite fuzzy.

It would be nice to clarify this in the licence text, though.
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion

First Age

Thu 16 Mar 2023, 11:09

Well, there are many, many things wrong with the BRP OGL that have nothing to do with cloning their games, but that has been discussed to death elsewhere and it has nothing to do with the Dragonbane licence, so I won't dwell on it here. ;)

If you were originally thinking of Dragonbane as the system, you could also try the FTL which is being discussed on another section of these forums.

By the way, I'm not sure the licence wouldn't cover a setting book as long as it requires the use of the Dragonbane rules, especially if it also contains adventures. The licence even allows the addition of rules, as long as they don't replace the core rules. So you could have new monsters, magic items, new spells... all the sorts of things adventure modules traditionally include. It would of course depend on how radically different your setting is from the Misty Vale, but I think the line between 'module' and 'gazetteer' in this case would be quite fuzzy.

It would be nice to clarify this in the licence text, though.
Yes, thanks for this. If I were to write for Dragonbane then I'd especially like to focus on adventures, and would like to craft them in such a way that they are droppable in any fantasy setting (that contains all the assumptions of the Dragonbane rules), or with a default setting of my own. I'm hoping this is permissable within the License?
First Age
https://fae.ttrpg.uk

blurr_G

Thu 16 Mar 2023, 14:42

"The license is meant for third-party modules for Dragonbane and its setting. It's not meant for designing what basically amounts to a whole new game."

Hi Tomas, I've read through this thread and I'm not clear on the setting guidelines. If I were to publish a book of adventures would the setting have to follow one or more of the following:

1.) Be Set in Misty Vale
2.) Be Set in the "world' of the Misty Vale.
3.) Be setting 'agnostic', IE - a series of standalone adventure sites a la Forbidden Lands

The intent is for all modules published under this license are to be compatible with not just the official rules but also each other, right? Would that mean that we are limited in scope to just the Misty Vale until Free League publishes a campaign book or a supplement expanding on the official setting?

Thanks

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Thu 16 Mar 2023, 14:59

"The license is meant for third-party modules for Dragonbane and its setting. It's not meant for designing what basically amounts to a whole new game."

Hi Tomas, I've read through this thread and I'm not clear on the setting guidelines. If I were to publish a book of adventures would the setting have to follow one or more of the following:

1.) Be Set in Misty Vale
2.) Be Set in the "world' of the Misty Vale.
3.) Be setting 'agnostic', IE - a series of standalone adventure sites a la Forbidden Lands

The intent is for all modules published under this license are to be compatible with not just the official rules but also each other, right? Would that mean that we are limited in scope to just the Misty Vale until Free League publishes a campaign book or a supplement expanding on the official setting?

Thanks
Hi,

The license isn't offically published yet, but all three of the above options are fine. The point we're making is that the third-party supplements cannot alter the core rules, which means it won't work to publish an adventure book in a vastly different setting (for example, a sci-fi world) as that would definitely require rules changes to work. As long as the module needs the official game rules to work, and doesn't replace or alter them, it's fine.
Fria Ligan

Vile Traveller

Thu 16 Mar 2023, 21:03

As long as the module needs the official game rules to work, and doesn't replace or alter them, it's fine.
Thanks, I think that is what we were hoping to hear (or at least I was).

Vile Traveller

Tue 28 Mar 2023, 19:02

Thank you Fria Ligan for the updated licence, and for considering the comments on the draft. I have read through it a couple of times now and I can't immediately see anything that stands out as problematic. Hopefully some of the lawyers will chime in and give their opinion, but for now it looks like it does what it sets out to do.

wailingguitar

Tue 28 Mar 2023, 19:53

Will optional rules ok? For instance, hypothetically an alternate means of handling parry that leaves it to the GM and players to choose whether they use them or not

New schools of magic or additional skills?

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Mon 03 Apr 2023, 16:48

Will optional rules ok? For instance, hypothetically an alternate means of handling parry that leaves it to the GM and players to choose whether they use them or not

New schools of magic or additional skills?
Alternative rules are not allowed under the license, no, even if "optional".

New secondary skills, including magic schools, are totally fine. You cannot add or remove core skills.
Fria Ligan

Śraddhāpa

Wed 05 Apr 2023, 02:18

I'd like to know if it's possible to release content under both the Dragonbane Third Party license and under Creative Commons. For example, if I release rules for a new monster and I want to allow other creators to take it and use it in their modules can I just put it under CC or would this conflict with the Dragonbane license in some way?

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Wed 05 Apr 2023, 10:09

I'd like to know if it's possible to release content under both the Dragonbane Third Party license and under Creative Commons. For example, if I release rules for a new monster and I want to allow other creators to take it and use it in their modules can I just put it under CC or would this conflict with the Dragonbane license in some way?
I'm afraid not. Since Dragonbane is a registered trademark and the license has restrictions on the content, you cannot release material made under the license under Creative Commons. The purpose of the license is to allow third-party material for Dragonbane, nothing else.
Fria Ligan