Short Fey

Re: Feedback Thread - The Dragonbane Third-Party License

Tue 21 Feb 2023, 16:51

Would reflavoring things be ok?

For example, let's say i wanna make a wild west themed setting in Dragonbane, using the same rules, kin, spells, monsters etc from the core book. But sense it is wild west, i want characters to have firearms, but rather than making an "firearms" skill, i make a box that says "in this setting, characters uses the crossbow skill to represent their skills in firearms, and firearms uses the statictics of crossbow weapons."
Beware the fey!

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Tue 21 Feb 2023, 20:39

For example, let's say i wanna make a wild west themed setting in Dragonbane, using the same rules, kin, spells, monsters etc from the core book. But sense it is wild west, i want characters to have firearms, but rather than making an "firearms" skill, i make a box that says "in this setting, characters uses the crossbow skill to represent their skills in firearms, and firearms uses the statictics of crossbow weapons."
Sounds like an edge case. To be honest though, a completely different setting is not really in the spirit of what the license is for - it's for third-party supplements for the offical version of Dragonbane / Drakar och Demoner. To make a wild west game, I would recommend using the Year Zero Engine license instead. :)
Fria Ligan

Short Fey

Tue 21 Feb 2023, 21:59

Sounds like an edge case. To be honest though, a completely different setting is not really in the spirit of what the license is for - it's for third-party supplements for the offical version of Dragonbane / Drakar och Demoner. To make a wild west game, I would recommend using the Year Zero Engine license instead. :)
That's fair. I have no intention of actually making a western, more curious if something like that was allowed or not.
Beware the fey!

simontmn

Wed 22 Feb 2023, 00:22

To make a wild west game, I would recommend using the Year Zero Engine license instead. :)
Some of us prefer Simulationist games to Dramatist games, y'know. :p

For me, Dragonbane really hits the sweet spot in what I want from an RPG, whereas I don't find YZE & similar systems very satisfying, sorry.

Gwydion

Fri 24 Feb 2023, 16:29

I have a question on creating a Dragonbane ruleset in Fantasy Grounds Unity. I've created character sheets that automate much of the rolling for attacks, etc. As of right now, I've included all the monsters from the beta so that a GM can run a game using the ruleset with minimal effort. I've included all spells, items, abilities, etc. as drag/drop. I am not including the text of the rulebook but rather all the "records" so anyone can easily run a game. Looking at the license, I'm not sure I could release the ruleset. If it matters, I don't intend to charge anything, just trying to make it easier for folks to play the game. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sat 25 Feb 2023, 19:03

I have a question on creating a Dragonbane ruleset in Fantasy Grounds Unity. I've created character sheets that automate much of the rolling for attacks, etc. As of right now, I've included all the monsters from the beta so that a GM can run a game using the ruleset with minimal effort. I've included all spells, items, abilities, etc. as drag/drop. I am not including the text of the rulebook but rather all the "records" so anyone can easily run a game. Looking at the license, I'm not sure I could release the ruleset. If it matters, I don't intend to charge anything, just trying to make it easier for folks to play the game. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.
There are plenty of unofficial VTT systems for our games on various platforms out there already. They are not covered by this license, but we have nothing against them as long as they only include tools for playing the game online and don't copy the full game contents.
Fria Ligan

Von Ether

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 17:12

I think some fans are going to need some education or updating. Some are saying it is OGL and that is not what it is.

This license is much more like the Game System License Agreement D&D had for 4e. As clarified, you can make new adventures but not new settings nor new stand alone games.

MacDhomnuill

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 21:02

I think some fans are going to need some education or updating. Some are saying it is OGL and that is not what it is.

This license is much more like the Game System License Agreement D&D had for 4e. As clarified, you can make new adventures but not new settings nor new stand alone games.
Yup, it high lights the importance of consulting an IP attorney if you plan on selling a derivative work. I had hoped to use DB to power a small setting I have but the licence won’t allow for that so I will use Chaosiums Pendragon SRD and Lic instead.

Vile Traveller

Sun 12 Mar 2023, 13:42

I had hoped to use DB to power a small setting I have but the licence won’t allow for that so I will use Chaosiums Pendragon SRD and Lic instead.
As far as I know there is no Pendragon licence. Do you mean the BRP OGL? I would not recommend using that under any circumstances. The SRD contains nothing of value (a bare skeleton of non-copyrightable mechanics), and the licence prevents you from using a host of things actually in the public domain. There is a good breakdown of everything wrong with it here: https://twitter.com/hexcrawl/status/1244345075116707844

I'm not sure how much you need for your setting book, just stat blocks or lots of new rules? BRP-adjacent D100 rules are pretty simple, why not write your own version? If you really do need a D100 SRD Mongoose's Legend is a better bet.
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion

MacDhomnuill

Tue 14 Mar 2023, 00:30

I had hoped to use DB to power a small setting I have but the licence won’t allow for that so I will use Chaosiums Pendragon SRD and Lic instead.
As far as I know there is no Pendragon licence. Do you mean the BRP OGL? I would not recommend using that under any circumstances. The SRD contains nothing of value (a bare skeleton of non-copyrightable mechanics), and the licence prevents you from using a host of things actually in the public domain. There is a good breakdown of everything wrong with it here: https://twitter.com/hexcrawl/status/1244345075116707844

I'm not sure how much you need for your setting book, just stat blocks or lots of new rules? BRP-adjacent D100 rules are pretty simple, why not write your own version? If you really do need a D100 SRD Mongoose's Legend is a better bet.
Nothing wrong with the BRP SRD and lic unless you are trying to write clones of their IP/games. Pendragon is covered under the BRP SRD and its associated License. Just like the licenses from FL they are not an OGL because both FL and Chaosium are primarily concerned with protecting their IP and their business models are not the same as WOTC. WOTC wants everyone to publish 3PP but point them toward the core products (or at least they did before onednd). FL and Chaosium want to sell highly specialized games built around their owned IP or contracted IP.

Bottom line is the FL Dragonbane IP says I can't use it to make my own world and the BRP one says do what you want so long as its different from our stuff.