Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Re: Feedback Thread - The Dragonbane Third-Party License

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 19:26

1. Why is the licence restricted to the 1st edition of Dragonbane? I can see the benefit in ensuring compatibility, but as there is no vetting mechanism this seems moot. It would seem easier to be able to keep using the same licence for future editions. In the current OGL climate there is also the fear an possibility that future editions may be closed off from licencing, creating potential reluctance for 3rd party publishers whose catalogue may become obsolete if they cannot update their products to the new edition. (Note this is not a slight on the integrity of the Fria Ligan of today, but as WotC demonstrated no-one can predict what the future will bring.)
The first edition of Dragonbane is not even out yet, so this is really something for the far future, if ever. The main reason for this clause is actually the Swedish license, as there are many previous editions of Drakar och Demoner - this license only covers our edition.
[*]Agree that modules should be defined. It seems clear to me (adventures, settings, monster/ magic/ profession/ equipment/ magic item expansions?), but perhaps spell it out.[/b]
That's what it means, yes.

[*]SCOPE OF LICENCE - it is not clear what is meant by "You may reference [...] locations from Dragonsbane". Does this mean locations from the setting, or locations (page numbers) in the book? It sounds like the former, but as the setting and adventures are not in the rulebook - and there will presumably be future expansions - it may be better to clearly define locations in this sense.
Locations in the setting and adventures, yes. You could for example write your own adventure set in the Misty Vale.

[*]LOGO - would it be possible to change the colour of the logo to match the design of whatever product it is being put on? If not any colour, could a black and a white version be used instead to a red one, if the creator so desires?
We'll look into this, yes.

[*]RULE MODIFICATIONS - Any particular reason why new core skills are not allowed under the licence? For example, if one wanted to produce a modern or science fiction setting. Or is the intention to restrict 3rd party products to the Misty Vale or roughly similar settings? If the latter, this should be spelled out clearly (see also point 3. locations above).
The license is meant for third-party modules for Dragonbane and its setting. It's not meant for designing what basically amounts to a whole new game.
I look forward to a cornucopia of Dragonbane-compatible modules! :mrgreen:
Thanks!
Fria Ligan

simontmn

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 20:40

I'm a law lecturer (inc copyright, contract, a bit of company law) in London, with writer/publisher friends. While I'd like to see lots of third party support for Dragonbane, I can't see my friends adopting this licence while it includes an indemnity clause. This seems guaranteed to scare away most people, at least sole traders.

Vile Traveller

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 23:55

While I'd like to see lots of third party support for Dragonbane, I can't see my friends adopting this licence while it includes an indemnity clause. This seems guaranteed to scare away most people, at least sole traders.

Yes, I agree that this is the main problem. My other comments are really just about clarification, but clause 11 exposes the third-party publisher to potentially unlimited risk. Again, the risk arises not from the likelihood of something going wrong (though that should not be underestimated), but the possible damage if something does go wrong. I personally would be unable to publish with this clause in place, just as I would not have been allowed to sign a contract with such a clause in professional practice.

However, I don't really feel clause 11 is needed at all, as the risk to Fria Ligan is eliminated by the disclaimer in clause 12.
Last edited by Vile Traveller on Sat 18 Feb 2023, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 11:17

I'm a law lecturer (inc copyright, contract, a bit of company law) in London, with writer/publisher friends. While I'd like to see lots of third party support for Dragonbane, I can't see my friends adopting this licence while it includes an indemnity clause. This seems guaranteed to scare away most people, at least sole traders.
Yes, we did get some feedback on that, and we'll look that over with our legal counsel. We certainly don't want to scare anyone away. :)
Fria Ligan

simontmn

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 17:38

Yes, we did get some feedback on that, and we'll look that over with our legal counsel. We certainly don't want to scare anyone away. :)
Cheers Tomas :)

timgray101

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 23:49

Additional note on 'module' - it was a common term in the Elder Days of roleplaying, so it may seem familiar, but it's not in common use now so it might be best not to assume a shared understanding.

For instance, in section 1, if you changed the first 'module' to 'supplement' (or supplementary material, or similar term), you'd probably have defined 'Module' for the rest of the licence. Or perhaps it would go in the intro para.

Section 1 is a bit circular in places as it stands.
Would the sentences about duration of agreement be useful as a separate clause?

8 (Notice) - you might want to just specify the form of words that must be used, rather than allowing variations that might be misinterpreted.

I don't know whether it would go in the actual licence, but would be nice to have mention of locations somewhere. Can creators make new locations in the Misty Vale? Lands beyond?

Arioch1973

Sat 18 Feb 2023, 14:11

Would it be ok to write a monster book in which the creatures have the attributes of STR, CON, AGL, INT, WIL, CHA? Just asking since that seems to be missing in the core rulebook.

Vile Traveller

Sat 18 Feb 2023, 17:32

I think I have a reasonably clear idea of what this licence is for now that I've had a chance to study it, and after the helpful responses here. I feel it would be beneficial to have a short preamble to explain this 'mission statement' at the start of the licence, as well as a few definitions of terms. This would preempt more of these sorts of questions once the final version is released.

Looking forward to seeing how clause 11 is dealt with. :geek:
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sun 19 Feb 2023, 14:50

Would it be ok to write a monster book in which the creatures have the attributes of STR, CON, AGL, INT, WIL, CHA? Just asking since that seems to be missing in the core rulebook.
Hello,

I'm afraid not, no. The way monsters work in the game is a design choice, and adding full stat blocks to them would in effect mean a change in the game rules, which is not allowed under the license.

To clarify, we love hacks and homebrews and have no issues with them at all - you can create them and share them at will, just not using this license, with the Drakar och Demoner / Dragonbane logo and brand name. This license is not meant for hacks and homebrews, but for creating third-party supplements for the official version of the game. We want all supplements to be fully compatible with the core game and with each other.
Fria Ligan

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sun 19 Feb 2023, 14:51

I think I have a reasonably clear idea of what this licence is for now that I've had a chance to study it, and after the helpful responses here. I feel it would be beneficial to have a short preamble to explain this 'mission statement' at the start of the licence, as well as a few definitions of terms. This would preempt more of these sorts of questions once the final version is released.

Looking forward to seeing how clause 11 is dealt with. :geek:
Not a bad idea, we'll get back to you on that.
Fria Ligan