Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Feedback Thread - The Year Zero Engine Standard Reference Document

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 15:47

Hello!

Please use this thread to report errors or feedback on the new draft Standard Reference Document (SRD) for the Year Zero Engine. You can access the text here. Note that this thread is only for the SRD text itself - the Free Tabletop License draft has a separate feedback thread, here.
Please report your feedback before February 28.

Thank you!
Fria Ligan

eatyourcereal

Re: Feedback Thread - The Year Zero Engine Standard Reference Document

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 17:46

This looks great overall!

One question: Will it not include anything about NPCs / sample NPCs / NPC statblocks?

Bearbottle

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 18:03

Hello,

The SRD looks cool. I have a question/criticism. In the vehicles table, I think the armor should have a letter in addition to a numerical value like in the cover table.

Keep up the good work.

alessandrofranzen

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 18:54

I read the SRD and the extra rules are pretty solid and awesome but I had one question: there is no rule for animals or monsters in this SRD, how can I incorporate this in my game? Can I use the attributes and combat rules present in Aliens, like Speed / Number of Actions per turn OR can I create some creature action tables just like presented in Forbidden Lands in my new commercial game or not?

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 19:16

I read the SRD and the extra rules are pretty solid and awesome but I had one question: there is no rule for animals or monsters in this SRD, how can I incorporate this in my game? Can I use the attributes and combat rules present in Aliens, like Speed / Number of Actions per turn OR can I create some creature action tables just like presented in Forbidden Lands in my new commercial game or not?
You're fine to do that yes. You can add any rules you want to your game, as long as you don't copy text (from anything but the SRD) word by word, and don't use any trademarks or logos from other games.
Fria Ligan

alessandrofranzen

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 19:24

Thanks again! And One more thing... Where I can find the download link for the new and improved YZE logo to place in my book?

alessandrofranzen

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 20:22

Reading again the character creation scetion, I noted that the new YZE SRD do not have the option to make characters with variable age that affect atributes and skill points. Don´t you think this rule can be preserved in the core mechanics?

Kaybe

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 20:55

Just a quick concern before I deep dive into this and offer additional feedback.

The SRD uses the Twilight 2k approach to stepped dice rather than the Blade Runner one. Which is to say that it's possible to have a skill with no dice at all. This is incompatible with the Advantage/Disadvantage system referenced later (which I personally love from Blade Runner) that talks about adding or removing the lowest base die. If someone is unskilled with the T2K system, they cannot add or remove the lowest die since there is no lowest die per se. The SRD even flat out states that for the A/D system to work, everyone needs a minimum D level in all their skills.

Strongly recommend changing the base step die skill formula to the Blade Runner one where everyone has *at least* a D6 in all their skills. The Advantage/Disadvantage system introduced in Blade Runner is an absolute godsend and will no doubt prove exceedingly popular due to it's elegance and simplicity, so it's critical that the core stepped die system supports it which it currently does not in the SRD (as far as I can tell ... maybe it's possible there's another page later that changes the core skill system that I'm not aware of).

Lars75

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 09:50

Having just read the SRD I did notice one thing missing. No mention of dodging an attack. You can block but there is no dodge action. The only place in the document where dodging is mentioned is in the Bear's Claw spell (which you can't dodge...)
Is this on purpose or an omission?

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 11:19

Having just read the SRD I did notice one thing missing. No mention of dodging an attack. You can block but there is no dodge action. The only place in the document where dodging is mentioned is in the Bear's Claw spell (which you can't dodge...)
Is this on purpose or an omission?
Thank's we'll take a look!
Fria Ligan