Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Re: Feedback Thread - The Year Zero Engine Standard Reference Document

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 11:21

Just a quick concern before I deep dive into this and offer additional feedback.

The SRD uses the Twilight 2k approach to stepped dice rather than the Blade Runner one. Which is to say that it's possible to have a skill with no dice at all. This is incompatible with the Advantage/Disadvantage system referenced later (which I personally love from Blade Runner) that talks about adding or removing the lowest base die. If someone is unskilled with the T2K system, they cannot add or remove the lowest die since there is no lowest die per se. The SRD even flat out states that for the A/D system to work, everyone needs a minimum D level in all their skills.

Strongly recommend changing the base step die skill formula to the Blade Runner one where everyone has *at least* a D6 in all their skills. The Advantage/Disadvantage system introduced in Blade Runner is an absolute godsend and will no doubt prove exceedingly popular due to it's elegance and simplicity, so it's critical that the core stepped die system supports it which it currently does not in the SRD (as far as I can tell ... maybe it's possible there's another page later that changes the core skill system that I'm not aware of).
This is a good point. At least, we could add the BR option of character generation to the SRD, and let everyone use whichever they want (they can do that already, but it might be easier if it's spelled out in the SRD).
Fria Ligan

JazzyBassyVT

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 14:09

I only just started reading the document so I haven't noted much, but I am enjoying the presentation of this a lot better than the original SRD website! I did notice something I thought I should also point out just in case:
NOT BROKEN? If you are not broken, you heal one point of damage or stress per shift. This assumes that you are not starving, dehydrated, or hypothermic (page 25). You can heal damage and stress at the same time.
Page 21, Conditions, Recovery.

But Page 25 doesn't actually contain the Dehydrated condition, something present in the original SRD. All in all a minor ommission error I think!

Bearbottle

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 18:41

I don't know if it's intentional, but I don't find how damage to attributes work with steped dice. Maybe I'm missing somethin or steped dice are not supposed to take damage.

alessandrofranzen

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 20:27

I don't know if it's intentional, but I don't find how damage to attributes work with steped dice. Maybe I'm missing somethin or steped dice are not supposed to take damage.
By default, Step Dice characters takes damage in health and resolve, see page 5 of the SRD:

STEP DICE RATINGS
✦ HEALTH: Your starting Health equals the sum of the die size for your Strength and Agility scores divided by 4, rounding fractions up.
✦ RESOLVE: Your starting Resolve equals the sum of the die size for yourWits and Empathy scores divided by 4, rounding up.

Bearbottle

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 22:56

I guess the SRD should include a "aimed shots" rule for ranged combat, or at least a called shots, similar to Blade Runner.

your evil twin

Sun 19 Feb 2023, 15:17

I think the SRD looks fantastic. I'm currently working on an RPG of my own and this has convinced me I don't need to completely invent my own system and instead use the Year Zero system.

Any chance off adding the radiation/rot mechanic from Mutant Year Zero/Twilight 2000?

It's an excellent way of handling radiation (tracking "temporary" and "permanent" radiation) and since it isn't just in one game but is actually in two Free League titles, it feels like a part of the system rather than game-specific.

In a fantasy setting it would also work great for exposure to dark, corrupting magic, or in a sci-fi setting it could be contamination caused by an alien ecosystem, or something like that.

Could call the mechanic "Exposure" and state it is for coming into contact with radioactive, toxic or biohazardous environments, or places full of some magical corruption, that have a chance of permanently affecting a character's attributes.

The RPG I'm working on is about exploring an anomalous zone full of strange phenomena, inspired by stuff like Roadside Picnic, Stalker, Annihilation etc. I can see myself using an "Exposure" mechanic either to track good old-fashioned radiation (as in Mutant Year Zero/Twilight 2000) or to track general exposure to anomalous phenomena, with players gradually becoming warped and mutated by spending too long in this alien ecosystem.

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sun 19 Feb 2023, 17:55

I think the SRD looks fantastic. I'm currently working on an RPG of my own and this has convinced me I don't need to completely invent my own system and instead use the Year Zero system.

Any chance off adding the radiation/rot mechanic from Mutant Year Zero/Twilight 2000?

It's an excellent way of handling radiation (tracking "temporary" and "permanent" radiation) and since it isn't just in one game but is actually in two Free League titles, it feels like a part of the system rather than game-specific.

In a fantasy setting it would also work great for exposure to dark, corrupting magic, or in a sci-fi setting it could be contamination caused by an alien ecosystem, or something like that.

Could call the mechanic "Exposure" and state it is for coming into contact with radioactive, toxic or biohazardous environments, or places full of some magical corruption, that have a chance of permanently affecting a character's attributes.

The RPG I'm working on is about exploring an anomalous zone full of strange phenomena, inspired by stuff like Roadside Picnic, Stalker, Annihilation etc. I can see myself using an "Exposure" mechanic either to track good old-fashioned radiation (as in Mutant Year Zero/Twilight 2000) or to track general exposure to anomalous phenomena, with players gradually becoming warped and mutated by spending too long in this alien ecosystem.
Glad you like it! We'll have a look at adding radiation rules to the SRD. In the meantime, you're fine to add them to your game as long as you don't copy text from our games word by word.
Fria Ligan

KoDaMoJo

Sun 19 Feb 2023, 22:02

Is it possible that Story Points mechanic from the Alien RPG will be added?
After a good RPG session, you'll be congratulated on that critical success for a time; after a great RPG session, you'll be telling stories of that critical failure for years.

lupex

Mon 20 Feb 2023, 17:56

As already mentioned in another post I think it would be really helpful to have a section covering NPCs, Monsters and Creatures, including options from the various game lines. Especially as adversaries are a key part of all of the YZE game lines.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

c4s4

Mon 20 Feb 2023, 20:10

P.19 : each on success your ammo dice -> each success on your ammo dice