Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Re: Feedback Thread - The Year Zero Engine Free Tabletop License

Wed 05 Apr 2023, 10:19

I still have two questions that are not expressly and clearly outlined in the SRD, and it would make it much simpler if it was spelled out in the SRD.
1- Can I use the rules from other games, like MYZ or Alien, if I remove all IP references? I understand its not the goal of Frea League to rewrite every rule for us and include it in the SRD. But can I say use Mutation Points? That term itself is generic enough. I mean what else what I call mutations and be clear without doing backflips? What about talents? Those arent included, can I use Talents so long as I rewrite the IP specific language?

2- You mention VTT is included but it doesnt say things like an online character builder. Or a tool that lets me choose and or add specific rules that I have cleaned up of IP specific language. This woudl be really sueful but its not expressly covered or worded in a way that makes it feel safe to build.

The SRD as it stands is very stripped down and makes it feel like we have to invent a lot of new stuff vs using existing rules sans the IP, which would be preferred. I tried to explain this and ask on the Facebook page for Free League and got a round about answer that circled back to the SRD is what we can use word for word. WHich I perfectlty understand that. but can I use other rules minus IP was never answered.
This has been asked and answered before. You are allowed to copy the text from the SRD, nothing else. Rules mechanics are not protected by copyright however (only rules text), so you can include mechanics similar to those in official Free League games, or any other RPG for that matter, as long as you rewrite the mechanics in your own words.

You seem to be asking for a definition of what "rewrite in your own words" means. That will always, in the end, be a judgment call on a case by case basis. Can you make a game that has mutations? Sure. Can you make a game that has something called Mutation Points? No problem. Can you make a game that has mutations, Mutation Points, and a list of mutations with names and functions exactly like in Mutant: Year Zero? Maybe, but that's approaching the limit, I'd say - and not in the spirit of the license. The idea is to empower creators to make their own Year Zero Engine games, not copy official titles.

If your idea here is to create an online character builder for our official titles, then that's not within the scope of this license. The purpose of the license is to allow creation of new games using the Year Zero Engine, not tools for our existing official titles.
Fria Ligan

Star Anvil Studios

Wed 05 Apr 2023, 13:16

My intent is not to create MYZ again, I was using a specific example. I could create a game where aliens have invaded and the mutations are a result of genetic aberrations caused by alien experiments etc. Modeling the mutations on the existing rules would be great.
My point is that the SRD covers itself but nowhere other than in a forum does it say we can do that, and forums can be erased or deleted. We just had a huge shudder by creators across the industry because things weren't spelled out or were claimed to mean something else. I think you could probably understand why some might want to be really sure and have it spelled out in a document.
We don't want ro make a character creator for official games. That's not the question. If I have created mechanics based on any used in other games, that I've rewritten, it would seem that's fine. But again, having that spelled out prior to investing hundreds of hours and dollars into a project would have been reassuring.
All in all, the answer to the question, while maybe simple and obvious to you, isn't clearly spelled out in a legal document similar to the SRD. Which leaves a forum that can be altered, edited, or deleted as the only protection for creators. This makes those who have been burned once before extremely hesitant.

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Wed 05 Apr 2023, 14:06

My intent is not to create MYZ again, I was using a specific example. I could create a game where aliens have invaded and the mutations are a result of genetic aberrations caused by alien experiments etc. Modeling the mutations on the existing rules would be great.
My point is that the SRD covers itself but nowhere other than in a forum does it say we can do that, and forums can be erased or deleted. We just had a huge shudder by creators across the industry because things weren't spelled out or were claimed to mean something else. I think you could probably understand why some might want to be really sure and have it spelled out in a document.
We don't want ro make a character creator for official games. That's not the question. If I have created mechanics based on any used in other games, that I've rewritten, it would seem that's fine. But again, having that spelled out prior to investing hundreds of hours and dollars into a project would have been reassuring.
All in all, the answer to the question, while maybe simple and obvious to you, isn't clearly spelled out in a legal document similar to the SRD. Which leaves a forum that can be altered, edited, or deleted as the only protection for creators. This makes those who have been burned once before extremely hesitant.
I think we have been as clear as we can be on this point. The license lets you copy and use the SRD. That's all the license does. This is completely clear and unambiguous.
Use of other rules and mechanics not in the SRD is not part of the license at all. It's a completely separate discussion that has nothing to do with the license. You will simply have to manage with this answer, because it's the only one we have.
Fria Ligan

Star Anvil Studios

Wed 05 Apr 2023, 15:41

That's the sticking point then I guess. I understand that you've been clear about the SRD. It doesn't even include anything for creatures, it doesn't include talents, etc. I know you've been clear about the SRD. The SRD itself is pretty limiting. So you've left some huge questions. For example, if I want to create creatures I need to come up with a new system? You may not have rhe ability to answer or desire, but thats a big issue. I was originally very excited about this but it seems like you've offered just enough to say you did it, to gain public favor after what WotC did. I know text is often read kn a negative voice, we tend to think that way about responses here. My goal isn't to antagonize or attack. I was truly just trying to understand. As it stands I find the lack of reassurance about creating anything that might resemble a rule or, necessarily does because that's the best way to do it, to make me not want to use the system at all.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions at least. I guess I'm back to the drawing board.

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Wed 05 Apr 2023, 17:58

I must say I really cannot understand your concerns here at all. Creating something that "resembles" official content not in the SRD is not a problem at all. You just can't copy it outright.

(For the record, talents are included in the SRD, they are just called specialties there. If you prefer the term talents that fine of course, it's not a trademarked term. :) )
Fria Ligan

Star Anvil Studios

Wed 05 Apr 2023, 19:01

I'm probably just really gun shy after what happened with WotC and so I have been kverlt cautious. The last answer was so clear and succinct I feel better. Thanks for being so helpful and taking the time to assure me how it would work. We just really didn't want to invest into something again and have the rug pulled out from under us. Thanks again!

fmitchell

Thu 15 Jun 2023, 23:14

Maybe I'm just being dense (or "gun-shy") here, but I have questions about this language:
Free League hereby grants you a worldwide,
perpetual, non-exclusive right to copy, use, modify,
translate, and distribute the YZE SRD in printed form, as
a PDF, or as a virtual tabletop module (“VTT”) as part
of your own tabletop role playing game, modules, and
expansions
(your “Game”).
(emphasis added.)

Having converted the last SRD to HTML, I'm not eager to do it again. (And only one person has expressed interest in the last 2-ish years.) But, say, if I did just want to copy the SRD into another format like HTML or Markdown verbatim without building a whole game around it, could I?
Frank Mitchell

HILDA: This isn't much of a pep talk. Can't you say, 'you can do it!'
ALFUR: Sure! You can do it! (Statement for encouragement purposes only. You may not actually be able to do it.)
-- Hilda ep. 9 (Netflix, 2018)

Dbrunod

Tue 18 Jul 2023, 01:54

Hi guys! I’m quite new at the forum, but I’m interested in using this license for my own game. I was actually redesigning it to be able to play with year zero license. Reading the threads in this post, and more specifically last question from fmitchell, I have a question - on my game, I plan to make available a few tools on the game website, for character creation, for helping with the story and so… but it’s not a game in itself online, just tools for the player and GM.

Under “ LICENSE. Free League hereby grants you a worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive right to copy, use, modify, translate, and distribute the YZE SRD in printed form, as a PDF, or as a virtual tabletop module (“VTT”)…” it limits for example, similar to what was asked, html or markdown formats… or am I getting it wrong? Could I still use the year zero and have those parts of the game in my website? Also, it was not answered before, if by adding different rules, those become part of OGL or not… kindly appreciate any insights.

9littlebees

Sat 22 Jul 2023, 20:42

Hi guys! I’m quite new at the forum, but I’m interested in using this license for my own game. I was actually redesigning it to be able to play with year zero license. Reading the threads in this post, and more specifically last question from fmitchell, I have a question - on my game, I plan to make available a few tools on the game website, for character creation, for helping with the story and so… but it’s not a game in itself online, just tools for the player and GM.

Under “ LICENSE. Free League hereby grants you a worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive right to copy, use, modify, translate, and distribute the YZE SRD in printed form, as a PDF, or as a virtual tabletop module (“VTT”)…” it limits for example, similar to what was asked, html or markdown formats… or am I getting it wrong? Could I still use the year zero and have those parts of the game in my website? Also, it was not answered before, if by adding different rules, those become part of OGL or not… kindly appreciate any insights.
There's a whole thread asking about this here without a reply so far. Currently, you wouldn't be able to under the terms of the license, since PDF is specifically mentioned and no other format. To add to your list, EPUB is a format many of us would also love to use but currently can't.

As for adding rules, you can add what you like to your game. It's not limited to only what's in the SRD.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

robbius

Mon 24 Jul 2023, 20:48

It would be very nice to get clarification on this question. The spirit of the license seems liberal and encouraging to creators.

But, the actual license is worded in a strangely restrictive way -- the only text formats allowed for distribution are printed copy, VTT, and PDF**.

A simple straightforward reading has to conclude: No accessible epub, unfortunately. No posting the rules as html on your website, even though a pdf version of those same rules on the same website is fine.

Surely this isn't what was intended, but it is how the FTL reads (at least in English). It would be great if someone from FL could clarify that the FTL was not meant to prevent publishing as an epub or other formats.

**"Free League hereby grants you a worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive right to copy, use, modify, translate, and distribute the YZE SRD in printed form, as a PDF, or as a virtual tabletop module (“VTT”) as part of your own tabletop role playing game, modules, and expansions (your “Game”)."