Gecs
Topic Author

Is humanites are replicants or?..

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 23:13

Hello folks!
How do you think: is the humanites are fully-biosculpted such as a replicants? Or they are just modified humans?
Chapter 10 of rulebook tells us that some kind of 'humanite biocode' present in 10% of population

So, if we have a some special biocode, there is not just a biosculpting, huh?

JohnK

Re: Is humanites are replicants or?..

Wed 08 Feb 2023, 20:49

Hullo, Gecs,
Hello folks!
How do you think: is the humanites are fully-biosculpted such as a replicants? Or they are just modified humans?
Chapter 10 of rulebook tells us that some kind of 'humanite biocode' present in 10% of population

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here, and I assume when you say "replicants" you're referring to the characters from Bladerunner, right?

Given what's written in the main Coriolis - The Third Horizon rulebook, the Humanites are fully bio-sculpted humans, modified for certain types of environments. They are able to breed true, so perhaps the use of the term "bio-sculpting" here doesn't fit, as it's possible that some Humanites were not created through bio-sculpting, but more sophisticated bio-science processes. According to the rules given (which aren't all that detailed being an understatement), some Humanites are extremely dificult to detect.

That's my 2 Birr. :)

Hope that helps. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Gecs
Topic Author

Thu 09 Feb 2023, 11:57

Hullo, Gecs,
Hello folks!

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here, and I assume when you say "replicants" you're referring to the characters from Bladerunner, right?

Given what's written in the main Coriolis - The Third Horizon rulebook, the Humanites are fully bio-sculpted humans, modified for certain types of environments. They are able to breed true, so perhaps the use of the term "bio-sculpting" here doesn't fit, as it's possible that some Humanites were not created through bio-sculpting, but more sophisticated bio-science processes. According to the rules given (which aren't all that detailed being an understatement), some Humanites are extremely dificult to detect.

That's my 2 Birr. :)

Hope that helps. :)
Okay, that is ))
This thing called the 'ommage' which are incredibly lot in Coriolis. In this case it is an ommage to Bladerunner.
Technically they are replicants (and if we dig deeply - any artificial created human - is a Robot (by Karel Chapek)) who can breed. That beings was constructed for various purposes, with various characteristics and bio-enhancements and that was very hard to recognise who is who :)

JohnK

Thu 09 Feb 2023, 22:16

Hullo, Gecs,
Okay, that is ))
??
This thing called the 'ommage' which are incredibly lot in Coriolis. In this case it is an ommage to Bladerunner.
I wouldn't say that the Humanites are an hommage to Bladerunner per se, so much as they are one of the influences that went into the game. Anyway, just semantics, right? :)
Technically they are replicants (and if we dig deeply - any artificial created human - is a Robot (by Karel Chapek)) who can breed. That beings was constructed for various purposes, with various characteristics and bio-enhancements and that was very hard to recognise who is who :)
Umm, no, I have to disagree with you here. While the replicants from Bladerunner do have elements from Capek's RUR, the Humanites are not robots at all. They aren't artificial humans to begin with, as they are humans who have been genetically modified. Come to think of it, there are no robots per se in the Coriolis - The Third Horizon game, other than some very simple ones. When it comes down to it, there are some good reasons cited in various places about why there aren't any robots in the setting, many of them cultural. That said, there are a few other threads here in the General forums about robots in the game, so you might want to check those out. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK

Gecs
Topic Author

Fri 10 Feb 2023, 02:41

Hi! No robots? But how about Celestial Web and living armour with red sensors, driven by AI? ;)
Oh yes, they are not Terminators, and this is not a Sky Net for sure )))

Ok, let return to our sheeps. So, in Coriolis you can biosculpt yourself. And these sculpts may be a bit freaky. But you are not a Humanite. Your biocode and talents are the same.

Where is that thin red line between ‘pureblood’ and not?

Look: 'The humanites are a scorned and despised group. They are modified humans created to perform certain functions or endure certain hardships better than base humans...'
This phrase is not saying about genetic modification of 'true born' human. It can be created artificially with modifications, huh?

Replicant is: '.. a genetically engineered, bio-enhanced person with para-physical capabilities, created for slave labor by Tyrell Corporation and its successor, the Wallace Corporation. The Tyrell motto was 'More human than human.''

JohnK

Fri 10 Feb 2023, 18:59

Hullo, Gecs,
Hi! No robots? But how about Celestial Web and living armour with red sensors, driven by AI? ;)
Oh yes, they are not Terminators, and this is not a Sky Net for sure )))
Well, there are simple robots that do tasks and the like, and there are ship (and other) computers that have AI-like qualities, but they aren't as well developed as robots and AIs in other sf literature or games. Part of this has to do with the Middle Eastern and Arabian Nights flavour and culture of the game.
Ok, let return to our sheeps. So, in Coriolis you can biosculpt yourself. And these sculpts may be a bit freaky. But you are not a Humanite. Your biocode and talents are the same.
Bionic sculpts in the game system aren't as sophisticated and "freaky" as in some other games, though who know what sort of stuff might be out there influenced by the Dark Between the Stars... The Bionic sculpts in the game include

Beautiful
Built-in Weapon
Intelligent
Morph
Nimble
Quick
Regenerate

That tells you something about the "focus" they have in the game universe, methinks. :)
Where is that thin red line between ‘pureblood’ and not?
That is, to be honest, one of the themes of the game in some ways, and each GM and their group of players gets to answer that question for themselves, based on the information about the subject(s) in the rulebook and the supplements.
Look: 'The humanites are a scorned and despised group. They are modified humans created to perform certain functions or endure certain hardships better than base humans...'
This phrase is not saying about genetic modification of 'true born' human. It can be created artificially with modifications, huh?
The Humanites are modified humans that have been genetically engineered, in most cases to breed true. So I would argue they have undergone genetic modification. However, the original Humanite sub-groups weren't born in vats and test tubes and the like; they were modified humans altered through science.

As for replicants, we're talking the Coriolis - The Third Horizon RPG here, not the Bladerunner RPG. So to me, the Humanites vs. Replicants discussion is irrelevant.

Just my $0.02.

JohnK